Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, looks like Ducati and Lorenzo have reached an agreement, and formalities are all that lie between the two parties now. That said, I wouldn't start celebrating until an official announcement is made.

I predict the next step will be for Headcasey to announce his retirement, and for Ducati to exercise their option on Hayden.

http://www.motogpmatters.com/news/2009/08/20/it_s_done_lorenzo_signs_for_ducati_proba.html

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
While we are speculating, there is one more possibility: Stoner has a real, serious illness that will keep him out next season. That would put the onus on Ducati to try and buy someone like Lorenzo to hopefully keep the bike at the front of the field. In that case the team next year could be Lorenzo & Hayden, but I would certainly love to see hayden on the Yamaha instead.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
well IF this is true I guess the idea that the Ducati is a POS will either be validated with Lorenzo's failure or put to bed with his Sucess.... Or maybe some of you will say that Lorenzo rides like Stoner and there only 2 people that can ride the unridable Ducati....

Atleast I have a reason to root for Ducati in GP now :)

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
As I said in another thread, somewhere else...

Ducati have almost no say in this decision. Marlbro are the ones writing the checks and whatever they say, goes. Suppo loves Stoner, he'd press to have Stoner there forever. Hayden was NOT his idea and neither is Lorenzo, that bit of info I do know.

Obviously Marlbro confronted Stoner recently and pointed out the little clause in his contract that says if he doesn't play ball, he can get shit-canned. If Stoner is shit-canned, he wont' return for the rest of the season, he doesn't need the money. Here is a middle finger, my lawyers are over there, enjoy.

Hayden on the Yamaha, not gonna happen. The Ducati team next year will be two riders if this happens; Lorenzo and Hayden. They're both extremely marketable people and thats exactly what Marlbro wants.

But then again, the whole thing is still speculation... As the article said, this could all be a way to force Yamaha into keeping Lorenzo by offering him more money. As I've said before, if Lorenzo leaves Yamaha, he's making a HUGE mistake.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
The best reasoning I've heard is that while Stoner is fast he doesn't do the other half of a pro racers job and that is to promote his team and sponsors. Lorenzo is very good at that, so is Hayden. Popularity with the fans can count for as much as the results unless you're just insanely fast, then you can do whatever you like.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. I'd love to see Nicky on the Yamaha and wish he'd taken the deal before when it was offered but I do admire his loyalty to Honda so that would have been a tough call.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
While we are speculating, there is one more possibility: Stoner has a real, serious illness that will keep him out next season. That would put the onus on Ducati to try and buy someone like Lorenzo to hopefully keep the bike at the front of the field. In that case the team next year could be Lorenzo & Hayden, but I would certainly love to see hayden on the Yamaha instead.
This is the real reason why Ducati lunged at Lorenzo in my view. The full argument is on my blog.

·
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but I would certainly love to see hayden on the Yamaha instead.
Really?

I'd prefer it if Hayden continued with Ducati and made something of it. If he could do consistent top 5's with the Duc, with a couple podiums mixed in here and there it would be a giant "fuck you" to all of the naysayers.

If he started finishing top 5 on the M1 everyone would attribute his success to the fact that he was on the best bike on the grid.

The duc might be hard to ride, but doing well on it says a lot for the rider.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Really?

I'd prefer it if Hayden continued with Ducati and made something of it. If he could do consistent top 5's with the Duc, with a couple podiums mixed in here and there it would be a giant "fuck you" to all of the naysayers.

If he started finishing top 5 on the M1 everyone would attribute his success to the fact that he was on the best bike on the grid.

I admire Hayden's tenacity and work ethic and would love to see him do well on the Duc also. But if he where to loose the Duc ride to Lorenzo, I would rather see Hayden on the Yamaha than be on the Pramac bike. Hayden is a very capable rider. Maybe not as talented as Rossi or Lorenzo, but he certainly is no slouch that belongs in AMA and he makes up for his deficienies with hard work.

·
Registered
203 Posts
How bout this...if Casey takes a year off to recover from his mystery illness, George and Nicky could be the Ducati team, and Ben Spies could become Rossi's teammate on the Yamaha, and win 3 different championships in 3 consecutive years. Silly Season is fun. :)

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
How bout this...if Casey takes a year off to recover from his mystery illness, George and Nicky could be the Ducati team, and Ben Spies could become Rossi's teammate on the Yamaha, and win 3 different championships in 3 consecutive years. Silly Season is fun. :)
If Casey takes a year off he wont be back.

I see your scenerio as very likely if Lorenzo does go to Ducati (except for the Spies championship first time out).

·
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If Spies does go to GP it'll most likely be to the Tech 3 team. No factory rides for rookies anymore. I highly doubt he can beat Rossi, the greatest of all time, on an inferior version of the same bike.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Are you kidding me? If Lorenzo leaves Yamaha he'll be getting on a bike that is a proven winner (if casey can win on that bike then so can J-Lo), and he will be earning Rossi money. He could retire after his contract expires and live like a king for the rest of his life if he wanted.
He'll be getting on a bike thats a proven winner with one rider. Where the Yamaha has been good to everyone in the 800cc era.

Yes, Lorenzo will make more money, but the risk is super high. Its not like he'd be going to Honda, on a bike that obviously anybody can ride, like the Yamaha.

There is no reason for him to take the risk. Yamaha has treated him well and the best part is, he can gloat about the fact he beat Rossi on the same machine as Rossi! Shit, If I were in MotoGP and was as good as Lorenzo, I'd wanna be on the same package as Rossi, just to push it in his face when I won!

The best reasoning I've heard is that while Stoner is fast he doesn't do the other half of a pro racers job and that is to promote his team and sponsors. Lorenzo is very good at that, so is Hayden. Popularity with the fans can count for as much as the results unless you're just insanely fast, then you can do whatever you like.
Yep, thats exactly right... Its really too bad it came down to this though. I really would have like to seen Stoner win another championship. :(

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
They say it's almost a done deal, which I think is pretty cool. They, Marlboro were pissed at little notice that Stoner was taking 3 races off and is less than up for the PR thing, though he's no Marlboro cowboy...more like Ron Howard when he had hair LOL. They could have spent some of the tobacco dough on R and D but what the hell I think Lorenzo is a hell of a racer. Being number 2 could light the fire in Casey and Hayden they could stick him on a satellite bike..or not.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
I would have liked to see Stoner win too but it's like Kevin said earlier today in the GP call in deal - there is something really weird going on there. Not sure if it's physical or what but the boy is off a bit from what you'd expect of a GP racer much less a champ.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If Spies does go to GP it'll most likely be to the Tech 3 team. No factory rides for rookies anymore. I highly doubt he can beat Rossi, the greatest of all time, on an inferior version of the same bike.
And then the lawyers find a way to prove that he isn't technically a rookie, since he has raced in MotoGP before. Can't you hear them? "What is a rookie?" "Do the rules say he has to complete a full season to not be considered a rookie?" "So if a rookie rider crashes and misses a race this season will he still be a rookie next season?" And then Rossi finally meets his match. Hey, can't I have fun?

·
Premium Member
0 Posts

I would rather win races, and people say it's the bike, than lose races and people say it's me. :alien:

Besides, if Hayden stays on the Ducati next year and starts doing well, people will say it's because Ducati improved the bike - thus, it's STILL the bike, and not the rider.

If Hayden goes to Yamaha and is still mid-pack, then you can pretty much call him done (or you can call him Colin Edwards, whichever is worse). But I have a feeling that wouldn't be the case.

Now, Kingsnake alluded to this above, but can we all agree that if Lorenzo sucks on the factory Ducati, then THE DUCATI IS A P.O.S.??? :p

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I would rather win races, and people say it's the bike, than lose races and people say it's me. :alien:

Besides, if Hayden stays on the Ducati next year and starts doing well, people will say it's because Ducati improved the bike - thus, it's STILL the bike, and not the rider.

If Hayden goes to Yamaha and is still mid-pack, then you can pretty much call him done (or you can call him Colin Edwards, whichever is worse). But I have a feeling that wouldn't be the case.

Now, Kingsnake alluded to this above, but can we all agree that if Lorenzo sucks on the factory Ducati, then THE DUCATI IS A P.O.S.??? :p
Conversely, If Hayden puts the Duc on the box will the Naysayers give him any credit?

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
If Lorenzo is signed then Ducati will execute its Hayden option only if Casey is out. Casey has a signed contract for 2010. This means that if Casey is uncertain then the best they could do for Nicky is offer him a Pramac guarantee with factory if Stoner is a no show. Would Nicky take that? I doubt it. I see Edwards on the factory Yamaha for 1 year, Spies and Hayden on Tech 3 or if Hayden takes factory Duke then Elias gets the second Tech 3 seat.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.