Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sport Classics, as we all know, aren't full-on sport bikes; they're a little to Classic with their air-cooled engines, etc. Many of the forum folks have focused on improving the sport aspect of their bikes, and very successfully.

I was drawn to my GT by it's classic nature. When I first became enamored of motorcycles, pretty much no bikes had turn signals. When the first turn signals were mandated, they were obviously add-ons that weren't an integrated part of the design. Unfortunately (in my mind), Ducati, in their Sport Classic styling, decided to be faithful to those early signals with the chrome pieces that are stock. They're not bad, but they're still sorta just hanging out there "because" in my opinion.

Enter Watsen Design. When I saw these, I knew I had to have them. They're functional, and so small they almost disappear.

Now for the rack. It never held much, and for us the only real function was as a back-stop for my wife. SO.... in keeping with the "classic" look of those late '60s and early '70s bikes I decided to mod it to look more like the old grab rails so common on BMW's, Guzzis, BSAs, etc.

Hope you like the look, I'm pretty happy with the "Classic" outcome!

Here's all that's been done:
DP: Panniers, comfort seat, chrome front and rear fenders, Modified luggage rack
CRG mirrors
Deitrich's airbox lid & gauge lowering blocks
Watsen Design turn signals (+ modified tail light)
S4R forks

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Very nice.
Love the simplicity of the new tail light and revamped luggage rack.
Any handlebar/fork adjuster clearance issues with those Monster forks?
:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
sj, I knew you would dig it. works really well with the lines of the bike.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Good work Jeff. Your modified DP rack is very similar in concept to the Ventura grab rail fitted to my GT1000. It's essentially there for Mrs H to use when riding pillion, but I could add the rack section accessory if I choose.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice.
Love the simplicity of the new tail light and revamped luggage rack.
Any handlebar/fork adjuster clearance issues with those Monster forks?
:)
Thanks for the kind words. You can't really see from the pics, but I've got the preload adjusters backed fully out on the forks and I can still get in there from the side with a small screwdriver to make adjustment. I bought the forks off E-bay and I think the springs aren't stock. It definitely steers and responds to choppy pavement better than the stock forks.

As far as the "rack" goes, I've never had to struggle to mount it. It's got all the same mounting tabs as the stock rack.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I really like the look, Jeff. If I didn't carry various items in the rack bag, i'd be interested in chopping off the rack part too, as the original reason I bought the rack was for my wife to feel more secure on the odd occasion she rides with me. Where did you get the Watsen signals?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hey Jeff, a fantastic look.....excellent.

Did you have any issues mounting the chrome rear guard? I bought one of another forum member & it does not fit....the 3 holes on the tail end are a few mm out & the long bolts provided in the kit that bolt through the ECU are too short....

Cheers Roger

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Jeff, a fantastic look.....excellent.

Did you have any issues mounting the chrome rear guard? I bought one of another forum member & it does not fit....the 3 holes on the tail end are a few mm out & the long bolts provided in the kit that bolt through the ECU are too short....
Cheers Roger
Hey Rog.

Yes, I had similar issues mounting the accesory chrome fender on the rear.
The front one went right on, but the rear needs a substantial shim underneath the screw that mounts the small end of the tail light. Without measuring, I'd approximate the shim (underneath the fender) is about .25 inch. There's a small barrel-shaped shim directly underneath the small end of the tail light above the actual fender that's about .375" long. PM me if you need exact measurements, these knees are kinda old and creaky...:)

·
Registered
188 Posts
very very nice job jeff!

i didn't get the stock rack cause it looks to big for my taste, have to think about a chopping as you did.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
well done - love the look.
perfect with the chrome fenders!

nice and simple.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Does the gray color of the Watsen blinkers match the color of the bracket for the headlight?

I have a black sport 1000 and I'm trying to decide between black or gray.

I wonder what a good solution would be for the rear signals on a sport1000...

Yours looks very nice!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Looks incredible, I think I'll get those turn signals as well.

Did you chop the stock rack yourself, or is that an aftermarket? I got mine with a rack, for the lady as well, and would prefer the look of your mod much more.

again, fantastic looking gt

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks incredible, I think I'll get those turn signals as well.

Did you chop the stock rack yourself, or is that an aftermarket? I got mine with a rack, for the lady as well, and would prefer the look of your mod much more.

again, fantastic looking gt
Thanks. I hacksawed off the "rack" pretty close (.25") to the remaining hoop, then had a metalworking friend of mine grind them smooth. The real kudos go to him, he did a great job. And no, he isn't looking for this kind of work, says he can't charge enough. I paid him in beer!:D I too found the full rack a bit too much.

Does the gray color of the Watsen blinkers match the color of the bracket for the headlight?

I have a black sport 1000 and I'm trying to decide between black or gray.

I wonder what a good solution would be for the rear signals on a sport1000...

Yours looks very nice!
The gray is a very close but not quite match for the stock headlight bracket. You have to be really looking to see any difference. It isn't perfect. As far as your black sport, check out Pakbikes' latest FLEDA system. He's now got Watsen blinkers incorporated and it looks really slick. The Watsen blinkers are designed to mate to the stock mounts, so any system that uses stock lamps should be pretty easy to install the Watsens. The rear mounts ARE different than the front and may take a bit more mucking around.

btw.. where is your horn?
Check out my post on your horn thread, it's under the airbox.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts