Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a run yesterday got caught in a rain shower of biblical proportions, no problem bike never missed a beat. Got home wiped the bike dry and rung out my leathers.

Woke up this morning the sun is shining leathers have dried out, bike wont start!

After many hours of tinkering discovered that my fuel lines were full of water, drained the system flushed the tank and she started first time.

How did the water get into the fuel? How can i prevent it happening again? :confused:

·
Registered
985 Posts
Texas!

But seriously, I'd check the seal on your gas cap. I can't think of any other way for water to get into your fuel lines other than that, and condensation. Had you ridden the bike recently?

·
Registered
599 Posts
There are only two things that could of happened # 1 (most likely) it came in the gas cap.# 2 if you got fuel that day it came from the gas station. glad you have it fixed .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Move to Australia!
Texas!

But seriously, I'd check the seal on your gas cap. I can't think of any other way for water to get into your fuel lines other than that, and condensation. Had you ridden the bike recently?
There are only two things that could of happened # 1 (most likely) it came in the gas cap.# 2 if you got fuel that day it came from the gas station. glad you have it fixed .
Thanks guys,

Have checked the petrol (gas) cap and all seems to be okay. Was out with friends and we all refuelled at the same petrol station so i have ruled out contaminated fuel. Although the petrol cap seems okay i agree that it seems like the most likely explanation. Coming to Texas in December for three weeks, hoping get some time on the road whilst i am there!

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
There was an O ring missing on my fuel cap assembly. A missing O ring might let rain water into the tank. You can check by undoing the screws and pulling the fuel cap assembly out of the tank.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Rockape, as a former immigrant to your wonderfull country I can sympathise with its only drawback - the weather. It does make for dedicated bikers though.
But I can't help wondering if your journey took you somewhere near one one of those areas where someone (in a fit of jealousy of your prize possession) managed to open your petrol cap and mistake it for a toilet whilst you were parked up and not in attendance.
I know jokes about others misfortunes aren't funny at the time, but as Ferraris get keyed up by people that think owners of such thing are plonkers by default of ownership, this may be something to consider, as unlikely as it may be.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There was an O ring missing on my fuel cap assembly. A missing O ring might let rain water into the tank. You can check by undoing the screws and pulling the fuel cap assembly out of the tank.
Have taken the assembly out, can't see anything obvious. Can you be more specific as to the location of the O ring.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rockape, as a former immigrant to your wonderfull country I can sympathise with its only drawback - the weather. It does make for dedicated bikers though.
But I can't help wondering if your journey took you somewhere near one one of those areas where someone (in a fit of jealousy of your prize possession) managed to open your petrol cap and mistake it for a toilet whilst you were parked up and not in attendance.
I know jokes about others misfortunes aren't funny at the time, but as Ferraris get keyed up by people that think owners of such thing are plonkers by default of ownership, this may be something to consider, as unlikely as it may be.
I hope not mate as I had the fuel pipes in my mouth to blow out all the water (cue all the innuendo jokes i have just set myself up for).:D

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Have taken the assembly out, can't see anything obvious. Can you be more specific as to the location of the O ring.

Thanks
If you didn't see an O-ring then you might be missing one. (You are looking from part #13.) And if the filler cap assembly came out easily you might be missing the O-ring.

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
Another SC only fifteen or so miles away from me? :)

Also check the filler cap drain hose isn't blocked as this'll leave the water that collects in the cap with nowhere else to go but inside the tank itself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you didn't see an O-ring then you might be missing one. (You are looking from part #13.) And if the filler cap assembly came out easily you might be missing the O-ring.
It's official I really do need to get my eyesight checked. Yes the O ring is there, however after removing it for closer inspection there was a piece missing from the underside. It looks as though it has not been seated correctly and when the cap has been torqued up it has cut a piece out of the O ring.

Thank you for your help!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just in case you dont know, we're hopefully off on a jaunt around Galloway on Sunday with a start at Kilmarnock services-Little chef on the A77/76.
I'm planning to go unless hijacked by the family and there will be another GT there as well as a load more Ducatis, if your interested do come along.
Details here
http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10930

1 - 15 of 15 Posts