Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

...whenever my sport classic is rained on, I get a pocket of water below my tank lid. I'm talking about the small aluminum compartment for the lock which fills up with water.

the compartment seems to have a small hole for draining that water, but I'm not totally sure. I tried poking the hole with a thin wire as I thought it is clogged, but couldn't get through...

anybody any idea? appreciate!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
hi,

...whenever my sport classic is rained on, I get a pocket of water below my tank lid. I'm talking about the small aluminum compartment for the lock which fills up with water.

the compartment seems to have a small hole for draining that water, but I'm not totally sure. I tried poking the hole with a thin wire as I thought it is clogged, but couldn't get through...

Welcome to the forum… guess someone can help you:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi,

If the compartment drains then it is fine. If you look under the tank you will see the breather hose. If you blow in the end of the breather hose the air should come out the drain hole in the compartment letting you know that it is not blocked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok. thanks. I will check it out.

(I was not sure if the compartment had a drain at all. the guys at the ducati shop couldn't tell either. we had a look at the explosion drawing there, but that didn't show any detail of the lock compartment...the only thing illustrated were the hoses of the fuel overflow drain)

thanks so far !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...ok, I fixed it. the drain hole was clogged with white aluminum corrosion. I got it free with some WD40. for everybody who's interested: see attached a picture of the draining hose where the exeed water is supposed to come out...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
...ok, I fixed it. the drain hole was clogged with white aluminum corrosion. I got it free with some WD40. for everybody who's interested: see attached a picture of the draining hose where the exeed water is supposed to come out...
Good to hear that WD40 did the job…

·
Registered
503 Posts
It really seems to be so obvious....we should all do a "blow job" to ensure ours are not blocked too!

Hmmm....lookin forward to my next blow job with my Italian G/F....results to be posted...sorry guys...won't be pic heavy !!!

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Which hole was blocked? Are you able to provide more detail?

I've also got this problem, but cannot find where the problem is. No water drains out of the cavity that the lock mechanism shuts into ... there is a hole in the bottom of this cavity, but it seems to be blocked solid. Is this the hole that you had to clear?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi reh,

yes, we're talking about the same hole. it's not an actual straight through-hole. that's why it appears to be blocked solid. below the aluminum part it guides the water away sideways. so you may have to use a bent wire to poke it free from the white corrosive stuff...then you may use the WD40...or even better some air pressure...

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Thanks Blackeye.

I did get the white powder mixing into the water when I poked around, but didn't try going sideways. I'll have a look tonight and hopefully get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Finally fixed my problem. It turned out to be a two fold problem.

1) It was blocked inside the tank, with the white junk as Blackeye described. But I couldn't clear it from the top. I had to pull the hose off the bottom of the tank and pushed up a length of push-bike brake cable and worked it around until it cleared it.

2) The drainage pipe was not routed properly and was kinked preventing water from flowing through. I ended up cutting 40mm off the drainage tube, and then after making sure the drain and breather tubes were correctly routed, had to cut 65 mm off the bottom of the common tube.

Cheers

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts