Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am repairing my bike from last trackday accident and changing water pump cover. New OEM cover did not come with new drain plug on bottom of it and old one is not in reusable condition. Thread of this drain plug looks like M10 and M10 matches for the start, but it is not correct. Does someone perhaps know thread of this? I do not have rigth tool to measure now.

·
Super Moderator
8,378 Posts
Hey Rikten.. I´ll check my servicemanuall when i can.

You ride a 916 wasn´t it? You don´t list the bike anywhere..

Oh yeah antother thing. LORDI ROCKS! :D

//amullo
Ja, I am da Svidish moderator fron Sviiiden

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Amullo. Mine is 748 -01 Bip. Naming not clear in my 1995 onwards OEM servicemanual. In torque list there is plenty of screws but nothing related to coolanf or waterpump cover in about 10mm thread diameter. In parts list only name "tap" is seen. Do not worry with manual, I visit one good professional screw & bolt shop tomorrow.

Yes, Lordi is sensational. It took 40 years from us to win...to be even near.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For others who may need this in future:
That tap on waterpump cover is 10x1mm fine thread. Normal metric M10 has higher thread rise than this. I didn't find this locally in rost free or acid-proof, so paid for surprisingly low price for original one (below 3 Euros with copper washer).

·
Super Moderator
8,378 Posts
grendels_arm said:
What's teh 3rd picture? How's this compare to the Speedymoto one?
3:rd pic is with an extra slider on the same impellercover. Just for added protection i guess.

Speedymoto´s unit seems pretty good aswell. But i haven´t seen any crashtested ones on there site. But the piece sure looks better then the AxlJak piece.

I guess it´s a toss up. Either of them will probably be more crashworthy then the stock unit (that breaks when your staring hard enough at it).

anyone tested either?? I haven´t so i really can´t offer a valid opinion

//amullo

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I've tried both the Speedymoto and Axljak. They are different.
The Axljak is a cover that goes over the weak OEM stamped housing. The Speedymoto replaces the original housing with a beefy one that flows a little better and acts like a heat sink. My 999R seemed to run a little cooler with the Speedymoto housing

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
So therefore should the waterpump cover be replaced as a preventative measure in a way. I mean if I have a lowside on a track day is it most likely the case that the water pump cover will be destroyed and start leaking?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hit OEM cover twice. There was not much material left. After second hit it started to leak from this bottom tap, but during our long hibernation period in carage. Tap itself was halfly milled off.

I filled the old cover surface with Plastic Padding chemical metal if I do my brave third trick on same side. (Now cover is changed.) So, first you loose pump cover cosmetically. If bad enough you loose cooling liquid (dangerously slip also for others on track). When there is not material left on water pump cover, you may ruin left engine (alternator) cover and that will cost more.

So for the worst scenario it may be good to have something to wear and hit on waterpump cover. But I cannot say that I would be that wise before I hit that part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.