Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone would know if a water pump impeller from a 2002 998S / 2003 998 (Duc part #25120091A) would fit on a 1997 916.

I am for sure getting water in my crankcase, and the new seals on the impeller did not fix it, so thought that I would replace the actual shaft before ripping the heads off to switch out the head and base gaskets.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Don't know the answer to your question, but I have an impeller from a '95-916 motor that will certainly fit.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I am wondering if anyone would know if a water pump impeller from a 2002 998S / 2003 998 (Duc part #25120091A) would fit on a 1997 916.

I am for sure getting water in my crankcase, and the new seals on the impeller did not fix it, so thought that I would replace the actual shaft before ripping the heads off to switch out the head and base gaskets.
Good to see I'm not the only one. I'm going through the very same issue on my 999. I first changed the mechanical seal and it lasted about 500 miles before the water started dropping and oil rising.

I would really really exclude it's a head gasket as many tend to suggest: the water ways are very far away from the oil returns (there's no pressurized oil in the cylinder since it's brought up to the heads externally) and you would get either seepage from the head or into the chamber causing smoke. The base gasket has nothing to do with water since the water jackets stop half way through the cylinder.

Here's a picture of a cylinder

The oil return passages or on the two "horn" at the top. Now that's quite a travel the coolant has do to to get in the oil. I would expect a bad head gasket to show itself in many other ways before seeing coolant in the oil. At a minimum I would expect to see bubbling of overheating from the exhaust gasses getting into the water jackets.

The others could be the cards on the side of the cylinders, but that wouldn't explain coolant in the oil.

That said, it must be that stupid seal: either something is misaligned causing a wobble of the shaft that damages the seal or corrosion on the area around the seal that doesn't sit properly.

I'm at the point of buying a whole alternator cover assembly from a dismantler...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts