Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike is a 2013 MTS1200S GT. The panniers are very wide on this model.

I have a weird issue with the right side pannier. Heavy rain for 2 days of riding. I noticed that the right bag seemed to be damp. No biggie I thought, with all that rain, I figured the lid seal might be a bit weak.
BUT, the bag continues to be drippy humid inside. So much, that I soaked my foul weather gear that was being stored inside. And this is DAYS after the storm. It's been dry for days here, but it continues to have humidity/condensation inside the bag.

I believe the water is being stored up in the latch/handle area of the bag, and maybe even dripping from the screw heads that are up top there (on the inside).

And, the bags are NEW.

I have a call into their shop that sold the bike to me to see how to resolve this. New accessories should be warrantied, I am hoping...

Anybody else have any issues with damp or wet conditions inside the right pannier?

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
RHS is the side with the indentation in the pannier. Close to the exhaust. I'm thinking the exhaust is heating the air inside the pannier, and causing the moisture in the air to condense to water, inside the pannier. Maybe some insulation material on the underside of the pannier. And make sure everything that goes into the pannier is TOTALLY dry before enclosing it in that ideal space to grow moisture.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, this is the one "heated" by the exhaust. And I also agree that it gently steams the interior and re-condenses on the cooler parts of the bag. And note that these are new bags, and this bag has the OEM aluminum heat shield in place.

But, the screws up at the top surface seem to be admitting this hidden water source. Meaning I can wipe them off, and a minute later, wipe off another drip. There is nothing in that bag at the moment, because I cannot trust it.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
The screws you speak of would be the coolest part, compared to the material of the pannier body. Which means the screws will be the primary point upon which condensation will occur. I have used pannier liners in all my previous pannier equipped bikes, and apart from lid seal issues on one unit (caused by warpage), I have never had any condensation based issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts