Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdo!!

Here's a few pictures of the Superlight in its current state. ST3 motor with 45mm headers, one off rad & oil cooler. On the dyno next friday to get PCIII fitted. Pistal pistons and flywheel to be fitted over the winter.
Cheers Pablo

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hey Pablo, it's been a long time since the last set of pictures! I was wondering how the SL/ST3 project was going... :D

It looks like you've managed to fit everything nice. Any idea how much heavier is the ST3 engine+radiator+coolant compared to the air cooled engine?

I'm not sure about the need of the oil cooler though since you live in the UK (unless your ride it in South Europe on summer trips).

I'm looking forward to the dyno graphs once you have them. I have to take mine to the dyno the first week of July. Will post mine then

Cheers ;):)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers gents

The wheels are marchesini (probably spelt wrong) been repainted just need to re-apply the badges. As for weight gonna try the two scale method to get a rough idea of how much she weighs. As for compared to a normal Superlight I reckon shes 10-15kg lighter. To ride she is light n responsive. Only taken for short trips though (50miles) trying to get little bits done. Chris at CJS is gonna done the work on the engine so should be strong. He's just done a 900ss that making 97Bhp!!! Bet that fly's! But reckon the ST has the potential to make 110-115BHP!!!:D

Cheers Pablo

·
Registered
665 Posts
10-15kg lighter but I suppose this includes all the work you've done on the bike and not just the engine replacement. I don't think the ST3 engine is any lighter than your tuned up air cooled one.

With high compression pistons and work on the engine, I'm sure 110bhp is easily reached. Remind me what the air-cooled engine you previously had was making :think: (btw, are you gonna sell it or just keep it?)

Are you using the SL's airbox or you've managed to fit the ST3 airbox in the frame?

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
clean bike, how does it look with fairing on ?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Muschi,

Just gotta sort out the rad expansion tank. Once I have got that sorted will take some pics of the bike with the half and then some with the full. Will run the bike with half fairings though. Bikes running with a little RD125 bottle at the moment.
Still wondering if I should do the bike in Nero?? Mi piace molto!!

Ciao Pablo

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Howdo Engakats,

Yep the bikes lighter because of the mods not the engine. It has gained because of the ST3 but not as much as you would think. I think the gains will out weigh the extra weight. The \pc310 lost a couple of pounds compared to the origional. The Rad is very light (running carbon water as well:D)
The 944 motor made 88Bhp and 70lb of torque. Thats gonna go in a Monster or a ss track bike on short manifolds (should increase the top end)
Managed to use the ST3 airbox.
Like the front end on the SS mate. Is that a one off?

Cheers Pablo

·
Registered
665 Posts
Still wondering if I should do the bike in Nero?? Mi piace molto!!
Nope! Keep it yellow. It's one of the best looking SLs I've ever seen! :cool:

Like the front end on the SS mate. Is that a one off?
I got the fork lowers from Motowheels (when the pound-dollar exchange rate was still 1:2 :D;) - much cheaper than here in the UK). I think MotoCorse makes them. I don't think you can find radial lowers for the older forks like yours. However, you do have billet calipers and Galfers, so I'd like to think that it's good too :think:

·
Registered
136 Posts
What happened to the black frame.
I loved that look and was very keen to see how the "whole" package looked when finished.

I was using yours as inspiration.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Pablo, I sure like what you have done and I'm anxious to hear how she rides and what she puts out at the rear wheel.

Tail piece of a 851/888, am I right?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Howdo!!!!

Dufuss the black frame isin the garage with the Superlight motor sitting in it. Gotta another frame to use as a test rig (Didn't want to find out she wouldn't fit and have a knackered frame so used a donar frame) Will cut all the unwanted bits off and paint black.
As for the seat unit its similar to a 888 (Carbon unit from Ducati Kamna in germany)
As for how she goes?:D Oh yeh flys!! As quick as the 944 (Different delivery)
I think quicker top end and she's got a good amount of torque.Had it booked in to be dynoed on friday and have the PCIII fitted but didn't get therein time so booked in for the 2nd. Also have a set of high comp pistal pistons inbound.
Now for the glitch!:confused: I seem to have an intermittant earth on the TPS. The bike feels like she is running out off fuel. Checked the cabling and seems ok ( The wiring harness has been altered a bit, but not the TPS cables) So still working on that........mmmmmmhhh TPS? Fuel Sender? Dodgy connector? Oh I don't know....Help
When shes stood idling no error?? I can't seem to simulate the error no obvious loose connectors??
Well hope I can get it sorted because when she goes it really is a fun bike to ride..

Cheers Pablo

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Subtle yet brilliant stuff. Very cool.
Love your work Pablo!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow..... great work! Allways wondered if an water cooled motor would work in these....now I know what my next project may be!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Nice work with the PC ;).

I see the ST3 engine makes a difference (compared to the 1000ds) above 6500-7000rpm, where the extra valve helps.

Keep us updated with any future mods :D:cool:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Howdo Engakats!!

How's that 1000DS going any graphs? New pics? Just got my flywheel through the post :) Christmas all at once new 2CTS and chain and sprockets. What size sprockets every one using?? Fitting 525. Did you fit hi-comp pistons? Any difference?? Good luck with the bike.

Cheers Pablo

·
Registered
665 Posts
Sorry for the late response but on the day you replied I left for a 3500 miles trip to France and Spain. I got back today.

Unfortunately the guys at the shop didn't manage to make a custom map before my departure so I will have to arrange it for some time later in August. I will post the graphs when it's done.

Answering your questions:

--I've fitted a pair of Pistals. It's unfair to do the before vs after comparison. The bike just doesn't hesitate to pull away, any gear. LOADS of torque (sweetest sport is between 5000-6500rpm) and there's considerably more power above 7500rpm. 2nd gear whilies (standard gearing)?? Anytime :D

--Standard gearing on the 1000 is 15-38. I've changed to 15-39 (520 Tsubaki Sigma chain) and it's now better in slow traffic. Cruising on the motorway is not too bad. Before you change the gearing on yours wait until you're done with the engine mods. I'm not sure what is the primary ratio on the ST3 engine (same doubt for the gears).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts