Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought I'd learned my lesson years ago at Express Lube, never trust an idiot with a wrench...

I rented a 5x8 U-Haul trailer to haul my Sport down to DFW for service (600 mile round trip) and had to buy a 2" trailer hitch ball for my Toyota-supplied receiver. The guy at U-Haul, seemingly more intelligent and better spoken than the average U-Haul trailer monkey, offered to mount the ball on the receiver at no charge. That sounded great to me, to get one more pain in the butt task out of the way (by an "expert" no less) before I had to trundle my junk down to Dallas and back.

So I strapped the Duc down secure and got 100 miles of washboard Oklahoma highway before I stopped to take a leak and grab a Coke and a bag of fried pork rinds ("Breakfast of Champions!" in those parts) and check the security of the rig. Lo and behold, the bolt on the trailer hitch ball had spun free and was held in place by a flimsy 15 cent cotter pin, so, essentially, the whole rig and my Duc were hanging by a 1/16" sliver of cheap metal. I guess I should be thankful that the trailer monkey had installed the cotter pin more or less correctly (or at all) lest the rig and its contents (and me) be scattered as wreckage across US 75.

Thankfully, McAlester, OK is blessed with a 24-hour Wal Marks where I was able to purchase a 15" crescent wrench, big enough to give me a hernia torquing the ball onto the receiver as tight as possible. Of course, it took me another 8 hours to go the remaining 200 miles, stopping every 25 miles to inspect the rig and make sure nothing else screwed up.

So, forget about the "45 MPH SPEED LIMIT" sticker on the trailer fender, watch out for the guy in the U-Haul shirt with the wrench and the stupid grin on his face.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Scary.

Ironic in a way. Usually the idiots with a wrench over tighten everything - such as oil drain plugs.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I laughed last time I rented a U-Haul tailer and looked at the 45 mph max stickers. 75 mph all the way from Arkansas to OKC without a hitch. 45 my ass.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Are you going to let him Know about when you take the trailer back?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you going to let him Know about when you take the trailer back?
Oh yeah, I called them from the road and gave 'em an ear full. I mean I didn't go totally ballistic on them but let them know it was fricking dangerous. When I took the trailer back, the guy was nowhere to be found and the woman there was totally clueless. He was supposed to call me back and arrange to put a new trailer ball on :eek: but I never heard back from them.

Anyway, the lesson learned is to check EVERYTHING yourself when using a U-Haul or any other trailer because the "experts" there can't be trusted.

The U-Haul trailer itself is pretty stout, probably weighs 1000 pounds and has what appears to be a crude torsion bar suspension, so it's literally built like a tank. Their trucks, as anyone who's ever driven one knows, are usually worn out, dangerous pieces of shit.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I laughed last time I rented a U-Haul tailer and looked at the 45 mph max stickers. 75 mph all the way from Arkansas to OKC without a hitch. 45 my ass.
By "without a hitch" do you mean you didn't have any problems, or did you get your trailer hitch at the U-Haul on Towson in Fort Smith and have it fall off?

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
...based on my own personal experience with them, perhaps i can offer a better title for this thread... "AVOID U-HAUL AT ANY COST!!!"

·
Registered
511 Posts
Nobody works on my shit (bikes anyway). Truck, SUV goes to a dealership that I'm sure has liability/bonding and whateverthefuck insurance that they are supposed to have.

I think the cotter pin did what it's supposed to do. Uhaul? Well, those guys aren't making minimum wage for nothing.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
It sucks to hear stories like these, but thank God nothing bad happened. You were smart and had the good sense to check your hitch at the rest stop. A buddy of mine lost his trailer with race car coming home from Watkins Glen many years ago. He bought one of those aftermarket hitch pins with built in key lock. Well that aftermarket hitch pin Failed. The hitch a ball fell out of the receiver and the rest is history. Thank God no one was killed or hurt from this.
From that day on I use the solid steel hitch pin that came with my hitch when I pull my motorcycle trailer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
When I bought my monster earlier this year, I hauled it from north Jersey to Long Island on a u-haul trailer. when I got home, I realized the bolt that held the ball on to the hitch had completely fallen off on the way home and the only thing keeping the rig together were friction from the ball threads and the weight of the bike to the front of the trailer!!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I needed to take an empty U-Haul box from So-Cal to San Francisco a few years ago. Hooked it up at 6am and drove home to the Bay Area. When I got home and opened it up...Voila! homeless guy sleeping inside!

"Welcome to San Francisco, hope you enjoyed your flight"

I gave him a Red Bull and $5 and cut him loose. He wanted me to drive him back, I don't think he totally comprehended what had happened. I told him he just changed residency.

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
Judging by the homeless problem in SF this must have been just one of many instances....
U-Haul is the worst managed company, with the oldest and worst maintained equipment. Their staff and their apathy, waster of paper, and lack of training can only be matched by emps of the California Department Of Motor Vehicles.
Actually....DMV and U-Haul should just merge, big M&A news!

New registration, Sir? Would like a beat up box van with that? The tranny will slip, but you get a free homeless guy to help you unload. Just buy him some medicinal marijuana, OK? You will get a tax credit from the government.

I bought a hitch mounted rack, so I no longer have to deal with this clown outfit.

I needed to take an empty U-Haul box from So-Cal to San Francisco a few years ago. Hooked it up at 6am and drove home to the Bay Area. When I got home and opened it up...Voila! homeless guy sleeping inside!

I gave him a Red Bull and $5 and cut him loose. He wanted me to drive him back, I don't think he totally comprehended what had happened. I told him he just changed residency.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
My last interface with U-Haul was here in Dallas. The special needs monkey they used hooked up a rented trailer also fixed some missing wires on the trailer before plugging it into my factory electrical connection.

Promptly blew my fuse. On my Infiniti that fuse also allows the car to be shifted out of park. So I'm stuck in their drive and can't put the car in gear. Of course they didn't have any fuses to fit a foreign car. An hour later my wife brought me some fuses. I ended up buying my own trailer.

I'll not do business with them again.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I bought my monster earlier this year, I hauled it from north Jersey to Long Island on a u-haul trailer. when I got home, I realized the bolt that held the ball on to the hitch had completely fallen off on the way home and the only thing keeping the rig together were friction from the ball threads and the weight of the bike to the front of the trailer!!!
Damn! You were probably one bump away from disaster.

I guess I was lucky the 1/16" cotter pin held as long as it did!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Look at it this way: at least you didn't have to explain a dead body in the box or mangled along 101.

Hopefully, you didn't have to expose yourself to any of the bum's various bodily fluids and substances left inside the trailer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts