Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought this 2001 ST4 (15k+ miles) at a killer price to sell after doing some needed maintenance. Purchased it for $1400 and I hoped to sell for about $2500 after doing some work to it. I just finished the maintenance by installing the wheels and new tires on it. I decided it was my little project to bring up to mechanical standards and then sell it. The purchase price was such that this path made sense.

I installed new Tires, Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Belts using the frequency app on my phone to adjust them, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, front sprocket lock and bolts, new DoT 4 brake fluid and bled the systems, new Coolant, and Valve Adjust. It came with nice GPR cans and new chain and sprockets.

Yesterday I decided to suit up with my handy dandy Joe Rocket suit and see how it all went together. I certainly ensured the brakes were working. Nothing worse than squeezing the levers and instantly remembering the calipers weren't pumped up. Well they were fine.

Off I went. All running very very well. Down the street, about a half mile to the stop sign. Right Turn, gave it a tiny bit of gas (four mph, really!) and next thing I know I'm looking at the bike about 15 feet away and I'm laying on my right side!

I crawled over to the now terrible machine which I now hate :)frown2:) and hit the kill switch.

People stopped their cars and all came right over. I'm certainly grateful for that. All asked if I was OK. I was, but realized my right knee and hip took a bump and would be slightly sore for a day or two. Hitting the pavement reminded me how hard it really is. Well, my instant analysis was spot on, and I'm a little sore today!

A fellow came over and offered to help lift it and I'm grateful for that. Wheeled it to the side of the road. Cracked right mid and lower fairing. Cracked windshield. Oh well, my hope of making a few bucks just went with the slippery tires!!

Believe me, I'm 66 yo. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. But it happened.

And........... I failed to heed the advice of the mechanic who specifically advised me the tires would be slippery. Little did I realize how absolutely skittish they were. I've had better traction on wet leaves!

So I hope my little mis-adventure can help someone in the future. Give the tires about 50-100 miles to get skuffed in prior to doing anything mildly aggressive.

Have a great US Thanksgiving holiday and a great weekend to all. Now on to Ebay to look for parts!! Hopefully I can break even on this deal!

Steve

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
17,896 Posts
Yes, it does happen. Tires have gotten better about that in the last decade or so but still need some brake in.

A good friend did the same thing on a brand new Honda Interceptor. Left the dealership and a 1/4 mile down the road took the first right hand corner and oops! All the plastic on the right side. :)

PS: Cold weather makes it 10X worse.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a similar experience with a Yamaha FZ1 I purchased from a Air Force officer that was being re-stationed .
After doing all the work to get the bike sorted and ready for sale I dumped it on a test ride and it cost me $1500 and a lost my left pinky fingernail as well as feeling as if I had been hit by a truck for about a month

right after the accident I had a car stop beside me while I was rolling around in a ditch in pain, and the bastards drove off...

In the end I broke even, My faith in humanity has not been restored.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep. What kind of tires? Some have more mold release agent than others.
They are Metzeler Tires. I don't recall the model I'll have to check. As far as any manufacturer's substance on the rubber, there wasn't any. Strictly an issue of lack of adhesion.

It was 50 degrees Fahrenheit or 10 degrees Celsius. Certainly on the cool side, but nothing that gave a clear warning sign. Steve

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Metzlers never seemed worse to me than any other premium brand for break-in skittishness... but with ANY new tire it pays to go easy on them for the first hundred miles (and the first dozen or two hard corners).

·
Registered
277 Posts
They are Metzeler Tires. I don't recall the model I'll have to check. As far as any manufacturer's substance on the rubber, there wasn't any. Strictly an issue of lack of adhesion.

It was 50 degrees Fahrenheit or 10 degrees Celsius. Certainly on the cool side, but nothing that gave a clear warning sign. Steve
As far as I knew, any residue on the rubber from the mold release agent isn't generally visible - it just sort of leaves a chemical trace within the surface of the rubber.

Always been warned about slippery new tyres, and luckily have remembered long enough to get the whole riding surface of the tyre worn in before forgetting...

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's nasty Steve, hope you heal up soon.
I always wonder how to run in a new tyre on the sides without any problems because in order to make contact with that part of the tyre you have to be running fairly hard anyway. I believe some people use sandpaper on the edges for this reason. Makes sense to me.
I actually still find the slipperyness unacceptable from the seller, they really should be ready to go for the price we pay.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've also been told it's the heat cycles that's needed.
Nevertheless, I just slowly increase my lean angle after a few turns and stop at 75% until I've ridden either an hour or 50 miles. Then slowly increase once again from 75% to my full lean capabilities which seem to vary from day to day and bike to bike. Never had a slip yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
not the first person to ignore that advice.

won't be the last.

i wipe them down with a liquid buffing compound (mek?, possibly tricloroethylene now that i think about it, would have been easier to get up and go and have a captain cook. some nasty shit anyway) to remove the slippery, but if you let them sit for a week or so it does come back to some extent.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Didn't ignore the advice as I rode extra cautiously but without the desired result. I don't ride hard. As noted it happened at 4 mph, first gear.

I guess a better way to express it is I heard his warning, but thought to myself "I'm always cautious. I'll just keep aware." It just didn't turn to reality.

Have to find a way to scuff tires prior to first use.

BTW, tires were: Metzeler Sportec M3

·
Registered
483 Posts
Didn't ignore the advice as I rode extra cautiously but without the desired result. I don't ride hard. As noted it happened at 4 mph, first gear.

Have to find a way to scuff tires prior to first use.

Wonder if you also maybe run across some fuel, oil or antifreeze which contributed to your slide.
That happened to a friend hitting some spilled diesel fuel in a corner from a stoplight with the front, no way to save it. Under 10 mph.
Hard to tell the difference between water and other liquids on the road.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
Some dealer installed tires are taken for a ride by a mechanic just for this reason.
I hit some spilled diesel on a road early morning traffic (in a 68 ford pickup) nearly ruined my day.
Thanx for the reminder.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Over the years I’ve been advised to scrub the tread with a stiff brush or a wire brush and all kinds of solvents and detergents. I dip my wheels in detergent water to check for leaks so maybe that helps. If they seem to have something on them , I’ve scrubbed them before use.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A detailed warning would be: Ride like there is ice on the road until the center sheen is gone. I had a new pair of Metzeler Roadtechs on my VFR800 w/ 50 miles on them. On a freeway interchange, doing about 50mph in a right sweeper, I gassed it to stand the bike up and drifted across an entire lane of traffic. My face did this:
I realized that day how little torque it takes to spin up a new tire.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a bike disappear from under me during a 50mph right hand sweeper on what appeared to be a clean, clear, and dry road under sunny 65 degree skies. Closer inspection showed a small 6" diameter patch of perfectly disguised gravel right in my front tire's track. That was an expensive patch of gravel. You sure there wasn't something on the road?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't have much experience with new tires, but I've had 3 sets of fresh Diablo Rosso (II & III) and 2 sets of fresh Pilot Powers 3ct. I've newer noticed any wheel slip. On the contrary I've heard that they don't use any release agent on modern tiers and that I can use them as normal right away. Anyway, I hope you are OK. The bike can be fixed.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Wow. Sorry to read you had to go through that. I've never once had an issue with new tires. Cold tires, yes. Any number of times. Perhaps the fact that the tires were cold AND new is the reason for your off?
Over the years I’ve been advised to scrub the tread with a stiff brush or a wire brush and all kinds of solvents and detergents. I dip my wheels in detergent water to check for leaks so maybe that helps. If they seem to have something on them , I’ve scrubbed them before use.
I've never done any of that. I do my own tires, and have for a number of years now. I figured I can scratch my rims as good as any shop...and I don't break stuff removing and installing my wheels. :grin2:

I just ride until I've scrubbed my tires in....usuallly around 5-10 minutes and that's it. Never had an issue.

Now, in late evening with temps in the 70s I've nearly been pitched off simply from a cold tire and a tiny bit too much throttle.

This has happened to me a few times over the years so I'm much more cognizant of cold tires.

Add cold ambient temps, a tiny bit of dew on the pavement plus cold new tires......I'd say the chances of ending up on your head are exponentially greater.......sean

·
Vendor
1,583 Posts
I can attest to the cold affecting the tire grip. Was a cold November morning, rode over to a friends about a mile away from my house. Stayed there about an hour, then took off around the corner to go back home. Simple turn from one street to another. Thats weird, the sound, like my clutch is slipping, not, rear tire broke loose, back end swings around, tire catches, hello high side, superman, then ouch. ST's dont handle high sides well. Much broken fairings and mirrors and dented tank from handlebar. So be careful on cold days. Let the tires warm up a bit.

Mike

1 - 20 of 55 Posts