Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After admiring a Wasp tail kit on a local SC1000 tonight, I am nearly sold on the mod. But I still have one reservation.

How is it in the rain or on wet roads after a rain? Admittedly, I avoid riding in the rain whenever possible, but I often commute by bike, and I live in the south, where the weather is unpredictable. So sometimes I get stuck in the rain. Will I get rooster tail spray all over my back without any sort of fender for protection or does the tag position do a decent job of blocking the nastiness?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
waspsie soaked the prpotypes in a bucket of water for a day , then plugged them back in with no probs - i can caught in at least 2 100% showers with no issues

·
Registered
88 Posts
waspsie soaked the prpotypes in a bucket of water for a day , then plugged them back in with no probs - i can caught in at least 2 100% showers with no issues
I think he meant do the rooster tails shoot water up your back or does the kit block the tail spray.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I added a stainless steel plate holder that is now about 5 inches longer to hold the rego holder and the reflector and that did the job.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
After admiring a Wasp tail kit on a local SC1000 tonight, I am nearly sold on the mod. But I still have one reservation.

How is it in the rain or on wet roads after a rain? Admittedly, I avoid riding in the rain whenever possible, but I often commute by bike, and I live in the south, where the weather is unpredictable. So sometimes I get stuck in the rain. Will I get rooster tail spray all over my back without any sort of fender for protection or does the tag position do a decent job of blocking the nastiness?

Thanks.
I suggest to all my customers that they re-fit the standard reflector to the bottom of the plate for exactly this reason.

I, like most people, prefer to avoid the rain/wet roads but have obviously been caught out the odd time.
Well over two years now and I have had no problems.

The boards are actually dipped in a protecting dope.
They were "powered" in a bucket of water for two days until I got bored with the lack of action and added 1/2 a cup of salt.
I took the covers off to ensure that they were fully filled with water.
They still ran for two more days until the leds stared falling off from corrosion.

Greg.

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
They work great. Better than great, fantastic! I'd get yourself a hugger from GTRossi too though... saves any cleaning issues/spray back from the wet roads ;)

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
huggers will help keep the cases/underseat area clean, but they can't stop spray from going up onto the tail without a fender - they'd have to wrap all the way around the tire to do that...

with my wasp tailchop i mounted my plate a little lower and added a piece of abs below it to keep the spray off my tail (and off the back of my wife's white jacket :eek:) and it works great. like waspie says in his post, you can set a yardstick on the tire and lean it to the tail - you need to make sure that something protrudes past the straight line between the two in order to stop the spray.

his tailchop is a great piece of kit - typical of his stuff, it's well-made and thoroughly tested - i recommend it wholeheartedly. i did replace the directionals with watsen winkers, which are absolutely tiny and ridiculously bright (do a search for 'em on the forum)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts