Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the PUKs1 kit, and my bike has a ton more power on the low end. I can definitely feel it whenever I am going through a corner, or taking off from a dead stop. My engine revs feel more comfortable at higher RPMs (6kish), and it seemed to have eliminated a lot of the unusual 'jerkiness' I'd get at lower speeds.

However, I am getting alternating pops and backfires from my Termi pipes whenever I deaccelerate from a downshift. I am running a 2:2 Termi kit on a 2009 Ducati Sport Classic, with the Termi ECU. Any recommendations on how I can adjust the mapping to quell the backfiring?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Lets work on it...

I installed the PUKs1 kit, and my bike has a ton more power on the low end. I can definitely feel it whenever I am going through a corner, or taking off from a dead stop. My engine revs feel more comfortable at higher RPMs (6kish), and it seemed to have eliminated a lot of the unusual 'jerkiness' I'd get at lower speeds.

However, I am getting alternating pops and backfires from my Termi pipes whenever I deaccelerate from a downshift. I am running a 2:2 Termi kit on a 2009 Ducati Sport Classic, with the Termi ECU. Any recommendations on how I can adjust the mapping to quell the backfiring?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel
Hi Daniel.
Great to hear that you finally got your PUK kit installed and are back out on the road.

It is our intention to stay in contact with all of our WaspPUK recipients and send out new maps as they are developed for those who are keen to try.

Thankyou for this feed back as it is vital in configuring maps for use around the world with different fuel types and under conditions different to our test environment.

The quick resolve to the popping on decel is to add fuel at the fully closed throttle position. However, this will not fix the problem if there are any underlying issues.

You have commented that the bike feels more powerful and smoother at all rev ranges, therefore the twin maps/tune must be very close to correct.
The map that you received is actually the one that was generated for my bike (same config) which has no signs of popping on decel. There must be a difference therefore in one of a few things.
1/ There may be an air leak in your exhaust system. Can you check/tighten the engine exhaust outlet to header bolts.
2/ Check/tighten the header to muffler connections and even the o2/test port plugs.
3/ Elevation - Where do you live/ride? Is it predominately sea level or at elevation?
Where in the rev-range, or more specifically the throttle position, have you noticed the popping? is it at fully closed throttle position on downshift thru the gears or is it at a slightly cracked throttle?

Check these things out and give us some feedback and we will (very quickly) send you a new map with added fuel to the closed throttle position if that is what is required.

Please keep us in the loop as perhaps other American (climate/elevation/fuel quality) users can benefit from this.

Greg.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Greg, I wonder if the different fuel - US versus Oz might also be a consideration.

Most US fuel is 10% ethanol I think, whereas I don't think you have any ethanol added in Oz. Also, different octane ratings could be part of the issue as well.

Cheers,

Brett

p.s. I'm still very happy with my kit, but the gas here in Singapore is basically the same as in Oz - no popping or other issues.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Greg, I wonder if the different fuel - US versus Oz might also be a consideration.

Most US fuel is 10% ethanol I think, whereas I don't think you have any ethanol added in Oz. Also, different octane ratings could be part of the issue as well.

Cheers,

Brett

p.s. I'm still very happy with my kit, but the gas here in Singapore is basically the same as in Oz - no popping or other issues.
Yeh - Very valid point.. We did consider that initially and thought about sending the U.S maps out slightly "fat" to compensate but then thought it would be best to get feedback first.

Whatever the situation is with the fuel quality over there, it's nothing that cant be overcome with a slight "map tweek".

Bikehead (Franz) in Sydney comment that he felt a slight "puffyness" when getting hard back on the throttle after rolling off, but he after further rides and changing to 98 he reported all was fine... infact, here is his exact post on another forum.....

Greg Brown from WASP in Western Australia has always been known for his uncompromising pursuit of perfection. Everything he puts his name to is 110%. His tail chop looks superb and his top mounted steering damper is the best there it. When Greg announced his Power Up Kit I ordered one immediately and it arrived Friday a week ago. I had it fitted last Tuesday (although Greg assured me that a mechanic with two left hands could do it - I have 10 thumbs). Picked the bike up on Wednesday and the mechanic at my Ducati dealer just shook his head and said: I didn't think this was possible. I rode home (the long way via the nearest National Park - great roads, no cops) and came home with the widest smile on my face you could imagine and I have not been able to wipe it off just yet. It's a different bike; Terrific throttle response, heaps of more horse power and (although I run my bike with Termis and the baffles in) a wonderfully deep, throaty sound. It's still a very well behaved bike at slow speed around town but is unbelievably responsive once you give it heaps. You find yourself changing gears a lot quicker and you get beyond legal speeds in seconds and before you realize it. On my first ride I found the limiter twice (and in the 3 years I've had the bike I probably only ever hit the limiter once). You need to get used to the fact that redline is a lot closer now and get used to the different notes of the engine. You automatically change gear at higher revs and tend to ride the bike harder without even realizing it. Would I recommend it? HELL YES!
I have spent a lot of money on accessories on my bike; some bling, some functional and some because the bike needed it; This is by far the most surprising upgrade and the best amount of money I have ever spent. Just make sure that you upgrade your brakes... (I've done this a while ago as I didn't like the standard brakes at all).
In short: the WASP Power Up Kit is remarkable and the best thing since sliced bread.
Have a look at: http://www.waspworks.com/
and value for money is abloodymazing.
Cheers
BikeHead

Might have to put Franz on the payroll me thinks:D

Greg.

P.S - We do have the (rare) option of ethanol added fuel here, but that is something I absolutely stay clear off. I recon thats whats causing the tank spread in the States.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm in the states and have a WASP PUK on my GT and it f'ing rocks with all types of gas available in my area. No issues whatsoever and couldn't be happier.

Back to the OP, If I had to guess I was say check for an exhaust leak first.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like an exhaust leak! The bolts that meet the Termi pipes are loose. A local dealer said that I can purchase ceramic bolts/ringlets, but I don't know where to find them.

I think it may be time to ceramic coat the header pipes anyhow, so I can get rid of the ugly discoloration and sharpen up the bike a bit.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hopefully it is just an exhaust leak. Adding fuel to the zero throttle column is fairly common with a PCIII and the Harley market. I'm not too familiar with Harley EFI, but do know the Marelli (& Siemens) ECU alters the zero throttle fueling based on motor RPM and how rapidly you close the throttle. There is no way to consistently alter the zero column with a Power Commander. It's my understanding all new ECUs cut fuel during periods of zero throttle, but each manufacture's strategy is somewhat different.

I've been working with a new product similar to a Power Commander with an integrated data logger (Details Here). Looking at the log files confirms the air fuel ratio changes from one zero throttle period to the next. The data log below is a sample from a previous ride. The blue line is the throttle position, the black is RPM & the red is the air fuel ratio.

Data Log

At 2:04:07 I closed the throttle at 4,065 RPMs and the ECU cut fuel to the injectors. The AFR leaned completely out to 22 (the limit of the sensor). At 2:04:15 I closed the throttle at 2,883 RPMs and the ECU did not cut fuel. The AFR went from 13.1 to 14 during that period of zero throttle. This explains why popping on decel is not always consistent.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Looks like an exhaust leak! The bolts that meet the Termi pipes are loose. A local dealer said that I can purchase ceramic bolts/ringlets, but I don't know where to find them.

I think it may be time to ceramic coat the header pipes anyhow, so I can get rid of the ugly discoloration and sharpen up the bike a bit.
Glad the popping on decel is gone. My GT was doing it with just the Termis and found that the lead was in the same spot as yours. Stock parts should fix the problem as long as you torque them proper. Good helpful write up and thanks for the heads up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts