Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of you have insurance on your bikes, and what type of policies. From my understanding it is not required to have any insurance for your motorcycle. Obviously it would be wise to have it either way.

What kinds of policies, if any, do you guys have on your bikes/personal injury?

·
Still needs a life.
12,529 Posts
My bikes have always been insured through USAA, which now subcontracts motorcycle insurance through Progressive. At the moment I cannot recall the details of my M/C insurance. I suggest you contact Progressive and Geico, two insurance companies which have been actively pursuing the motorcycle market.

My philosophy is that if you cannot afford motorcycle insurance, health insurance, and quality gear; then you cannot afford to ride. I hope you have health insurance. Group Health paid 80% of my unscheduled ambulance ($4,000) and helicopter ($20,000) rides to Mercy Hospital in Redding in 2009. I never got a bill for my four day stay at the hospital, so I assume Group Health covered all of that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No insurance?

I have not looked into it but I am pretty sure if you are going to use a motorcycle on public roads where it is required to be licensed you will have to have insurance.

Motorcycles that will not be licensed or travel on public roads won't need it. Mostly off road only dirt bikes without lights and other road requirements.

I have it and always have on my street bikes. Didn't when I was younger on my dirt bikes.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In any event, I ended up getting full coverage through my current home and auto provider. (Statefarm) It's the same coverage I have on my BMW M5. Very well insured and it's only $44/mo

Easy peasy!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Motorcycle insurance is not required by the state. Period.

If you finance your bike, however, any bank will require you to have full coverage(Liability, Comp, and Collision).

So I have always had full coverage...I'm not rich :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
agreed no insurance is required in washington. but in my case living so close to oregon you have to have minimum liability. there are ways around the "having a loan requires having insurance". when purchasing a new bike i.e. yamaha, yamaha offers their special credit card. the whole loan goes on to a credit card, this isnt a typical loan, this is like buying a car on a visa card so since there is no bank directly involved insurance is not required. BUT it is a very good idea as in if you dump your bike, get it stolen you would have no recourse and be stuck with a hefty card bill.

i ride with liability and comprehensive. watching pnwriders and all the stolen threads i strongly suggest comp. theres no way i could afford collision though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was looking at taking riding courses in Auburn and I asked them about their insurance requirements for the class and how it compared to state law. This was their response;

As for the insurance requirement -- WA law does, indeed, allow for motorcycles to be owned and ridden without insurance. There are three things you need to be aware of in that regard:
1) If you want to use your own bike in a training course sanctioned and sponsored by the state, you can be and are required to have liability insurance on your bike in order to participate in the class. If you were to hit someone or something with your bike, you have to bear the costs of that liability and in order to assure both us and the other students in the class that you are financially responsible, the state requires that you have basic liability insurance. Our bikes have to be covered the same way.

2) Although motorcycle insurance is not required in WA, it IS required in Oregon, Idaho and Canada. In other words, you can't leave the state on your bike without it.

3) The law that exempts motorcycles from being required to be covered by liability insurance in WA has a caveat at the end of it that most people are unaware of. It states that if you have an accident, and there is ANY property damage to someone else's property, and if you don't have insurance -- you can be required to post a $60,000.00 bond within 48 hours of the crash to prove that you are financially responsible. If you were to do a little investigation with the bonding companies you will find that most of them won't issue that bond. And if you can't get anyone to issue it, first you might be going to jail; and second, the state is going to attach a form "SR-22" to your driving record stating that you had a crash that involved property damage and you didn't have insurance, or a bond, or proof of being self-insured on file with the state. That SR-22 still isn't going to require you to have motorcycle insurance. However, every insurance company licensed to do business in the state is going to have access to that SR-22. What do you think will happen to your car insurance rates once that SR-22 is attached to your license record? They will most likely triple (or more) immediately.

Buy the insurance. It's not worth not having it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agreed about the insurance especially liability for your own self!

Another good tip is that joining the AMA can help get you discounts, often worth more than the cost of membership, plus you get all the perks of joining.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts