Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick to washing the front rim with out disassembling it? I can get in there with my hands, but it takes forever and I always end up with several cuts from the rotors. I need some pro-tips from you detailers out there. :)

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
invest in a front wheel stand....it will definitely make your front-end wheel cleaning that much easier.

pit bull or ducati performance comes to mind.

best success

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I just pay some of the neighborhood kids 35 cents to do it for me. Their hands are so small they rarely get nicks and cuts. In fact, I have them do other jobs for me as well such as adjusting the valves, adjusting my belts, removing oil filters, retrieving screws that fall down between the cases and the frame, etc. You know, small jobs like that. Oh, and these aren't normal kids either. They are kids of midgets. I mean, little people...so their hands are exceptionally small. I mean, they built the things, right? :cool:

Front wheel stand or just do everything that's exposed and then move the bike a bit to ge the rest.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Is there a trick to washing the front rim with out disassembling it? I can get in there with my hands, but it takes forever and I always end up with several cuts from the rotors. I need some pro-tips from you detailers out there. :)
Toughen up!!! Just kidding, simple green works well and look at this page there are brushes here you could pick up at a local auto store. The curved one works well.

http://www.topoftheline.com/motorcyclewheeldetailing.html

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
wells lamont fleece gloves. buy a few pair at wal-mart-depot. turn them inside out so the fuzzy stuff is on the outside. bucket of soapy water, install gloves on hands, get to making things clean. no more knuckle scrapes.

·
Registered
325 Posts
simple green works well
Took the words right out of my mouth, I just cleaned the white wheels on my Monster tonight with Simple Green. Amazing how well it worked. Just soak it a bit and the grease and road grime comes right off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
FWIW, Simple Green is very bad mojo for aluminum and probably magnesium, too. If you are going to use it, you should limit contact duration and make sure you rinse it off extremely well. I do not let it get near any aluminum that I own.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
FWIW, Simple Green is very bad mojo for aluminum and probably magnesium, too. If you are going to use it, you should limit contact duration and make sure you rinse it off extremely well. I do not let it get near any aluminum that I own.
I'm not sure about that. I am an advanced technical diver, and I use (amongst 1000's of others who are certified to do this kind of work) Simple Green to degrease aluminum diving tanks, amongst other aluminum gear for oxygen service.

These diving tanks take some 210 bar (~3500psi) stress.

Don't know about Mg.

G

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've been using a product called Simple Green Automotive. Cleans the grunge off the wheels and calipers of my ST3 very nicely. Don't know how different it is from regular Simple Green.
Bill W.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I like the inside out glove idea. Simple green works great as said already.

This is going to sound a bit anal but living up here in New England we have LONG winters of no riding. I do a complete over haul on my bikes during that time so when riding season is here maintenance is almost none.

One part of that is to remove the wheels, then remove the rotors. Give everything a good cleaning (much easier with the rotors off). Then polish and wax the wheels. It will make the dirt just about spray off with water once the riding season is on again.

On a side note I also deglaze the rotors and give the calipers a thorough inspection & cleaning. This always makes the riding season a flawless trouble free experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts