Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK bike's back with the rear brake, new gearing and HALF of the RAM swingarm. They didn't put on the hub I bought (and paid like $600US for) because he didn't think he could deal with the bearing...or something...I won't pretend to understand...something about knocking out the one from the stock swingarm and trying to re-use it. Why didn't they call me when they got to that point instead of making a decision they weren't authorized to??? I'd rather not have the bike for 3 weeks waiting for parts than have the job not properly done.

To me, half the reason for the swingarm WAS the hub, as that's the only truly-unsprung area outside a short bit of the swingarm itself, and the hub was a nice weight savings in a critical area. Oz for oz, an improvement.

So now that I've had all this done and paid for the work (over $1000), do I have to pay someone again to pull the ENTIRE thing apart to install the hub?

I'm not very happy right now. Don't ask me to mention names (I'm not like that) but I'm really pissed...so tell me this is a quick fix guys...please:)

Shawn

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Time to do it yourself....Grab the haynes manual and do it....
There is no Hayne's manual LOL. I asked motowheels for it a few months ago and they sent me 748/916/996 and Lt. Snyder's book, neither of which includes the 1098. Though the Snyder book has been great...and very useful.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
That is odd.

The magnesium hubs that we have in stock have bearings installed already.
Our hub is just a direct swap on the kits we have sold. We paid a little more to have them pre-installed because we were aware of future install issues at many shops.

We went through this back in the 916 mag swingarm days--so now we insiste on gettig complete kits when they are available...

-M

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is odd.

The magnesium hubs that we have in stock have bearings installed already.
Our hub is just a direct swap on the kits we have sold. We paid a little more to have them pre-installed because we were aware of future install issues at many shops.

We went through this back in the 916 mag swingarm days--so now we insiste on gettig complete kits when they are available...

-M
In fact, before the job even started, weeks ago, the Mgr. asked, so I verified with Randy, and he verified that yes, it's complete.

So either RAM didn't sell it like that or my dealer didn't understand.

So what are my options?

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
In fact, before the job even started, weeks ago, the Mgr. asked, so I verified with Randy, and he verified that yes, it's complete.

So what are my options?
I don't what you got because that swingarm and hub did not come from us.
-M

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't what you got because that swingarm and hub did not come from us.
-M
I know:) Also when I asked Randy it was still in Italy so the only answer has to come from RAM.

But if what you are saying is the norm, then my frustration is...why didn't the dealer pull the OEM bearing or call me to ask me what to do?

·
Registered
355 Posts

So what are my options?
There's your problem, he has a habit of shooting his mouth off about stuff he doesn't know about.. he might sell it, but that's as far as it goes...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
There's your problem, he has a habit of shooting his mouth off about stuff he doesn't know about.. he might sell it, but that's as far as it goes...
No, Randy didn't even have the part and I knew that. The answer has to come from RAM as to what they shipped him, but more importantly...if the dealer saw the bearing missing and I have a $600US part that is supposed to be installed then why not stop if that doesn't go according to plan? Why bolt 100 pieces on top of the wrong piece knowing I will have to have it all pulled apart again?

It's not an issue of what was or wasn't on the hub, it's an issue of what should and shouldn't have been done based on knowledge of something that was missing (if that's the case)!

I have to pull my whole rear end apart not because of Randy or Motowheels or anyon eelse, but my dealer...

·
Registered
620 Posts
I don't want to sound like a dick but you shouldn't weigh much more than Dani Pedrosa to justify this one...

Losing a couple of pounds of body weight would have been cheaper but I am digressing :D

Good luck getting your swingarm fixed!
To me, half the reason for the swingarm WAS the hub, as that's the only truly-unsprung area outside a short bit of the swingarm itself, and the hub was a nice weight savings in a critical area. Oz for oz, an improvement.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm so confused...

Which swing arm did you buy? The corse version or the street version?

There are two different hubs, one has a larger diameter shaft like the 1098, another has a smaller diameter shaft. Perhaps the hub you bought was the wrong one?
It's the RAM mag swingarm. I think there's only one version.

I dunno what to do, very frustrating. But it's a new day so I'll hopefully figure it out. Give them a call, ask them to order bearings, andsee if they plan on re-doing this or if I'll get fully charged or not. This is my first and hopefully only bad experience in the mechanical area, so hopefully they already plan on solving the problem.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't want to sound like a dick but you shouldn't weigh much more than Dani Pedrosa to justify this one...

Losing a couple of pounds of body weight would have been cheaper but I am digressing :D

Good luck getting your swingarm fixed!
If I lost any more weight I'd fly away in the wind LOL. That's part of the reason I'm taking a weight rather than horspepower philosophy with this bike build. I am obsessed with making it light as I can...

To be fair, the swingarm isn't 'broken' and my dealer did a great job for what they did do, but it's kinda like taking a motor and a supercharger into the shop and having them come back and say, oh the engine turned out great, makes a ton of horsepower, but we couldn't get the supercharger on...

·
Super Moderator
8,222 Posts
How about som pics of the hub that wasn´t installed? That way to mass of know-it-all´s can decide what your options could be. :)

//amullo

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How about som pics of the hub that wasn´t installed? That way to mass of know-it-all´s can decide what your options could be. :)

//amullo
Sure. I gotta find a car as all my take-offs are still at the store, incl. rims, exhaust, swingarm, etc...I'll hopefully have it all this weekend and can take pics of the hub then.

·
Registered
433 Posts
You need to talk (sternly) to Randy. Since he was the communications link from you're project and the part to RAM, it was his responsibility to make sure the part as he was told came from RAM with the bearings installed. He got the part, sans bearings, and went ahead without either full honesty to expedite the project, or complete ignorance. But since he told you RAM ships them installed and yours wasn't, the onus is on HIM to do you right by either calling RAM and sorting out why the bearings weren't installed and getting the proper part, and once he does get the right setup, re-installing the stuff properly.

That is your recourse. Of course he will not probably want to acquiesce to that.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You need to talk (sternly) to Randy. Since he was the communications link from you're project and the part to RAM, it was his responsibility to make sure the part as he was told came from RAM with the bearings installed. He got the part, sans bearings, and went ahead without either full honesty to expedite the project, or complete ignorance. But since he told you RAM ships them installed and yours wasn't, the onus is on HIM to do you right by either calling RAM and sorting out why the bearings weren't installed and getting the proper part, and once he does get the right setup, re-installing the stuff properly.

That is your recourse. Of course he will not probably want to acquiesce to that.
Near as I can tell from motowheels response, bearings aren't normally part of the kit? I am also pretty sure I was Randy's first customer to buy this (he can correct me if I'm wrong). I'm quite certain he did due diligence inasmuch as he asked them the question I asked him to (I certainly didn't ask about bearings! but rather if I could simply bolt it on, essentially). So RAM probably told Randy it was 'complete' meaning it's the entire package they normally sell.

But I don't understand why no one seems to get my frustration:

1) the dealer didn't even TRY to use the OEM bearing as he simply 'didn't know if he could'.

2) I wasn't called and asked what to do; instead a major decision was made that will now probably cost me a lot of money to rectify, rather than merely having to wait for either confirmation that the OEM bearing can be used, or to wait for shipping etc. for a new part.

3) They had that swingarm "on display" (LOL) in the service area for like 4-6 weeks, and during all that time, no one noticed the bearing was missing (I assume you can see it for looking)? Obviously I have no clue myself as that's why I took a part like this in - way beyond my talents.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Near as I can tell from motowheels response, bearings aren't normally part of the kit? I am also pretty sure I was Randy's first customer to buy this (he can correct me if I'm wrong). I'm quite certain he did due diligence inasmuch as he asked them the question I asked him to (I certainly didn't ask about bearings! but rather if I could simply bolt it on, essentially). So RAM probably told Randy it was 'complete' meaning it's the entire package they normally sell.

But I don't understand why no one seems to get my frustration:

1) the dealer didn't even TRY to use the OEM bearing as he simply 'didn't know if he could'.

2) I wasn't called and asked what to do; instead a major decision was made that will now probably cost me a lot of money to rectify, rather than merely having to wait for either confirmation that the OEM bearing can be used, or to wait for shipping etc. for a new part.

3) They had that swingarm "on display" (LOL) in the service area for like 4-6 weeks, and during all that time, no one noticed the bearing was missing (I assume you can see it for looking)? Obviously I have no clue myself as that's why I took a part like this in - way beyond my talents.
It really is not the dealers fault.
The bearing swap is not easy. You can easily damage the bearings--and they are very difficult and expensive to get replacements. You can easily lose more money than you can make on the job.

I would not pin it on RAM either:
RAM offers it with out bearings because they consider it a do-able (but time consuming job). But we know from experience that many dealers in the USA do not want to deal with the liability of damaging the hub or bearings. This is why we insisted on hubs with bearings before we agreed to sell them. We had to pay extra for the bearings but it is worth it. We know this because we have gone through this before during the 916 era when the longer magnesium swingarms were almost a standard item for racers.

We spoke about the swingarm before you made the purchase. The one that we had was a direct bolt on.

-M

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Should have gone with Moto :(

If Randy does not want to do the bearing, the least he could do is remove everything, send it off to Ram and have them install the bearing, then he can reassemble. He should have called you before continuing, I agree with this completely, and he should rectify that area. It will cost you a little to have the bearing installed at Ram, but it will be done. You basically will be paying shipping, and for the bearing, but the bearing you would have paid for anyway, so it is really just extra shipping at this point.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts