Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This happened 2 weeks ago. Scary thing was that my 7 year-old son was on the back. I was only going around the neighborhood, taking him on his first ride...doing the speed limit (40mph). I was coming up to an intersection saw this on-coming car in the left-hand turn lane pause then try to speed through with only about 10 feet to spare. I said "Oh sh!t" and that's the last thing I remember before coming to in the ambulance with all my clothes cut off.

My son...God bless his soul, must have held on to me for dear life and landed on me. His only injuries were bruises and abrasions on his hands. His helmet was barely touched (odd thing was I had just lectured him only the value of gearing up before our ride).

I suffered an internal brain hemorrhage (sub-dural bleed) that stopped by itself and a Galeazzi Fracture...a fracture to the radial bone in the right forearm with a dislocation. The radius was fractured in 3 places and required a 5-hour surgery, two permanent plates and 6 screws to repair. There might have been nerve damage to the arm as well as I cannot currently move my thumb.

If you look at the picture of my helmet, you'll see it's cracked in half. My gloves didn't receive a single scratch. This means I was knocked unconcious at the initial impact because I didn't instinctively try to protect myself with my hands. With most of the damage on the right side of the bike, I must have tried to swerve left and hit the car on my right...which is why my right arm took so much damage.

I'm scheduled to see the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow. We'll see what he says about the thumb. I didn't suffer any neurological damage from the head bleed. I'm actually going back to work tomorrow. Unfortunately, that means I have to stop taking pain meds and am currently in a lot of pain.

My son is recovering well...almost completetly healed (of course he had an unconcious 200lb cushion to help him out). Obviously, he wants nothing to do with motorcycles. I, on the other hand, am thinking about my next purchase...even if it's a few years down the road.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Im very sorry to hear about what happened. Im local and if you need any help with anything please let me know. Good thing your son is okay and from the sounds of it your on the road to recovery yourself. I wish you and your son a fast and full recovery.

This might sound a bitselfish especially at this time but if your planning on selling the bike as is please let me know as I am interested. Like mentioned im in sacramento.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Good luck with the recovery mate, glad to hear your son was okay. Sure did give that helmet a knock.

All the best.

g.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Riding in California has been hard on a few of us this year. Good luck and thorough recovery. I am glad to read that you did not succumb to the old "I'm just riding around the neighborhood" excuse for not gearing up.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Hey, glad your okay and the Son wasn't hurt. Man your helmet took a lick.
Good luck with your recovery and new bike hunt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm new here and would like to wish you and your son a speedy recovery. Some motorists are mindless and really should be put through a more rigorous driving program before being allowed out on the roads.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Glad you and your boy are OK.

It pains me to see such a beautiful motorcycle shattered...:(

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thank God for helmets! I don't know if theres a helmet law in CA, but theres not one here in IL, and 70% of the riders ride without them. They would have probably been killed if they had an accident similiar to yours.

Anyway, glad you and your kid are doing fine.

·
Premium Member
8,749 Posts
Glad everything is looking better for the both of you. Must have been a scary thing for your son and I wonder what kind of lasting impression it will have on him. Maybe it will teach him to be a more cautious driver/rider or convince him motorcycles are not an option. You fell victim to the old "21801a" CVC violation. Back before signalized and dedicated left turn lanes, this was a common cause of numerous accidents.

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
I winced through the whole story. Being a father of an eight year old, I can feel your relief of not damaging that child. Sounds like you knew what to do in a crash and that, no doubt, saved your boy from harm. Good for you for teaching him about motorcycles, and good for you for saving the boy from trauma. I just put my boy to bed, and I'm headed that way myself. You and your boy will be in my prayers tonight.:)

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
Unity996 - I am so sorry to hear your news - bloody car drivers why can't they wait a minute - I hope that you heal quickly and that the nerve damage is only temporary - so my very best wishes to you and your son - poor little bloke it would have been a scary scary thing for him seeing you knocked out like that. Take care and heal well.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Good gear is a wonderfull thing isn't it. You popped the heck out of that helment and lived to tell. Good luck with the surgeons and take care of that boy.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Very relieved to hear your son was not seriously injured and wish the both of you a full and speedy recovery.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all your kind words and encouragement...it's beena rough go of it and completely frustrating because of the senseless carelessness of the other driver...but, as some of you have said, it could have been much worse. I am truly thankful we are both still here.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Wow, very glad you made it through your ordeal, and I sincerely hope you heal well along with your son. I don't know if we've ridden together before, but if you're ever up to it in the future, I look forward to meeting and riding with you. I live here in Sacramento, just north of Elk Grove, and would also like to offer any help you may need. Can't really help you with the drug thing, but if you need help getting your bike sorted or just need help with the trash, don't hesitate to holler.

Interested to see where you go bike-wise in the future. Hope the careless driver makes good on paying for what happened.

Dan T

·
Administrator
13,019 Posts
Really sorry to hear that someone would do this, breaks my heart that your son had such a bad first experience on a bike. I do hope you heal well and it happens soon. Like the other locals, please let me know if there is anything I can do. Maybe we could pick you and your family up and bring them to our next Sacramento Ducati Owners Group dinner? I'm sure we would be willing to buy too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Unity996, how are you feeling now? i m glad your son doing ok. And that is most important thing. Materials are something that can be replace but not lives, take care and get well soon.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Cage Driver?

The best for you and yours, mon...

Just wondering, what was the response of the driver? I'm trying to put myself in the place of having potentially injured or killed not only an adult (bad enough) but also a youngster (undoubtedly out of their sight initially) and I'm thinking "I"m not sleeping too well" if it were me.
But, I suppose that's just me....
Have you heard from the driver at all? Have they at least admitted fault?

Just wondering....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts