Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
B group sandbagger
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my bike at the track today, I During the day I was blowing my down shifts going into turn 1. The next session I did 1 lap and I couldn't shift the bike. I thought maybe the linkage was jammed, so I disconnected it from the motor and It moved fine. I tried manually shifting it with my hand, but it wouldn't budge. I'm wondering if this would be covered by warranty. I was told ducati has a 2 year warranty. The bike is just over a year old and I am the second owner. Fyi It was a street bike when I bought it a couple of months ago, but now it's a full time track bike with 3 days on it. Will this affect the warranty?
BTW any clue what might be wrong with it?
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Put it back to street look (headlights, yadayada), and then take it in. You don't want any problems with them coming up with some bullshit like "abuse". Don't mention a word about the "track". Just say it is not shifting into first, and you don't know what happened. Ignorance is best when dealing with warranty's.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your shift selector has probably came loose or bent a little. There is an update kit to make it a little stronger (2009 parts). Even if they do not warranty it, it will not be expensive unless the selector has contacted the gear to the timing shaft andcut a groove into it. Not a big deal if that happend either, just a couple more parts.

·
comrade moderator
26,752 Posts
Second owner 848, mileage unknown, has no street equipment available (owner sold the street stuff), track bike only.

No, there won't be any warranty action happening...sorry!

·
B group sandbagger
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i only took off the bodywork, still has all the wiring and gauges, lights. Guess I'll be gong back to street.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
i only took off the bodywork, still has all the wiring and gauges, lights. Guess I'll be gong back to street.
Yes, and don't mention track. I am telling you it will be bad news bear if you say it.

·
comrade moderator
26,752 Posts
Hmm...must be I'm thinking of someone else. Well yeah, if you have all the street stuff, set it up and take it in...and talk very little.

Still, It's a second hand bike. Is the warranty transferable? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Hmm...must be I'm thinking of someone else. Well yeah, if you have all the street stuff, set it up and take it in...and talk very little.

Still, It's a second hand bike. Is the warranty transferable? :confused:
That would be pretty lousy of Ducati if they did that. Every car manufacturer allows transfers. As long as the car is in warranty, it is covered, no matter who owns it. I would hope that Ducati would do the same. I know that the services have to be done to keep warranty though.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Warranty is 100% transferrable. As long as your bike isn't a registered race bike (required by Ducati to race) warranty is totally fine.

Put the stock bodywork on and then if the problem still exists, drop it off at the dealer and see what they can do. The 848's have problems with the return spring failing, so it could be that simple. I've seen MANY 848's at the track have shifter failure, most of them end up being just that.

Good luck.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
B group sandbagger
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your help, Although it boggles my mind That a "superbike" would lose it's warranty because it was ridden on the track.:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Thanks for all your help, Although it boggles my mind That a "superbike" would lose it's warranty because it was ridden on the track.:confused:
Exactly, and even more so when they sell exhausts that when installed by the dealership, do not void warranty, but are only intended for the track. I mean what the hell is that?!?!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
don't know why you think ducati should be different from others...nobody warrantys race vehicles.heck honda won't help the hundreds of owners with the broken 09crf450r bikes.too many variables when someone uses something for competition.

·
B group sandbagger
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
don't know why you think ducati should be different from others...nobody warrantys race vehicles.heck honda won't help the hundreds of owners with the broken 09crf450r bikes.too many variables when someone uses something for competition.
I could see if it was a race bike used in competition, but a street bike used at a trackday should be a different story.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts