Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like bacon.

Votes: 8 53.3%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far, I've had my 2009 S1k for 19 days and around 1600 miles. Love it. I've had no issues with anything, outside of one. The left mirror.

The first hundred miles or so, I figured it was just loose. It kept turning down to where I could only see the road, and not what was behind me. So I tightened it up, and it held... for a bit... maybe a couple days.

This time, I pull the bolt all the way out, in the hopes of finding some major flaw. No dice. I re-install the mirror, re-tighten and adjust. I'm set.

Or so I thought. :mad: Regardless of how tight I get it, it still seems to turn down and face the road. Now, it's not much... maybe a few degrees of turn... but it's enough that I can't adjust it out using only the mirror. And it always seems to stop at the same place. It doesn't slide all the way down so that the mirror is hanging upside-down.

This is very frustrating, as the right mirror hasn't moved a bit since I rolled out of the shop with the bike.

My question is, do I take the bike back under "warranty", and have them fix the mirror correctly? Or do I just try and fix it myself with glue and bobby pins?

I'm normally not anal about stuff like this. I usually just fix it myself and get on with life, as long as it's not a serious safety issue, or a mechanical issue with the bike. But my thinking is... I just bought a several thousand dollar machine that's not just some cookie-cutter bike... I shouldn't be having fitiment/adjustment issues with the mirror.

Comments? Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
well... it's really up to you. If you like the stock mirrors, then go back to the shop and complain so they fix it for you. Bottom line your mirror should hold.

mine lasted about a month when I got my bike. they vibrate way too much and, same as you, got pushed down by the wind to the point where riding on the freeway was not fun because i'd constantly have to adjust them...

so I immediately put after market mirrors and never looked back...

first I put Rizoma reverse retro in black. Very pretty but tough to see. The glass is very accurate but the surface is very small.

I broke a rizoma so I went with CRGs LS mirrors, which now have been on for over a year. Aside from the anodized black fading to deep-purple, (barely noticeable but still...), I have zero complaints. I love these mirrors. So I recommend.... very wide angle of view, which is very safe, although it's tough to determine which is a cop car or not... :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
The stock mirrors SUCK....I had the exact same problem. Always coming lose. Me, I just removed them and moved on.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I used the stockers for about a year but swapped 'em out for $25 CRG knockoffs that work great. The stock mirrors are not great quality but the seem to work. I just think they are too big.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
the CRGs look like they belong on the bike, since they are round, they are retro and modern at the same time... The rizoma looked a lot more modern.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Here are a few pix of the bike...

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the same exact issue as well. So I swapped the mirrors for ones nearly identical to DGJ's except mine are the non-folding kind.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are a few pix of the bike...
Ok, those do look good. I may have to pick those up.

That being said, do people sell their stock mirrors? Should I mark up the price a bit because they came off a Duc? :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
if its under warranty and you like the look, then take it in. it is a no brainer. i also like the look and am less than concerned about the vibration factor. there are better mirrors but i like the napoleons, and all i need to see behind me is red and blue flashing ;)

seriously though, you can find better mirrors on your own dime but on a new bike that dime is better spent on suspension or tires.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think Bacon is going to win this one! But Yes will be a close second and probably the proper answer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
175 Posts
i have exactly the same problem.
i'm not a huge fan of the stock mirror look but had them for one year because haven't decided which replacement to go for... (i carry an allen key in my pocket!)
i took it in to the dealer for repair, and all they did was tighten it up again - sure enough a few days later they were both doing their usual flip flop on the highway.

i was going to go for the reverse retro rizoma but after DGJs comments i may now lean toward the crg or rip off version. most are a little too pricey...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
That being said, do people sell their stock mirrors? Should I mark up the price a bit because they came off a Duc? :D
I sold my stock mirrors for $100. they were practically brand new. Buying them new from a shop they are $200. Not sure you can charge more than a pair of after market ones. It would make no sense. BUT, you should fix them under warranty then sell them and buy better mirrors.

i was going to go for the reverse retro rizoma but after DGJs comments i may now lean toward the crg or rip off version. most are a little too pricey...
don't get me wrong, the reverse retro rizoma is a fine mirror, but I just found myself moving my head around looking at the mirror to get a full picture of what was behind me, if you know what I mean. The good thing though is that you could probably read the license plate of the car behind you: they are precise and don't vibrate.
The CRG is a wide angle, big picture mirror. So a glance and you know exactly how many cars are behind you and where they are.. but because of the wide angle, it's slightly distorted and not very precise. Since I ride a lot in traffic, I prefer the wide angle option.

another option is the Oberon mirror. They're from the UK. very attractive, retro looking round bar-end mirrors. I think Pak-Bike (vendor on this site) is the US rep. check it out...

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
If you like the stock mirrors (as I do) but want them to stay put, just buy these for $20 and install them. Easy.

oops - link didn't work. Go to rhinomoto.com and click on "Ducati Upgrades".

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I wish I'd seen those before lashing out on my Reverse Retro's.
Haven't had a chance to test the Rizoma's out yet.
This weekend, weather permitting

1 - 16 of 16 Posts