Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought the kit in 2016 for my 15 Multi (so this may only apply to DVT bikes). I didn't have a problem for quite a while but (I think) as the cush drives started to wear in and allowed the carrier to move more this issue became visible... it appears in my case the last week of hot weather riding did the trick because this wasn't presenting last week when I prepped for the ride.

Superlite part# - SCQ50A1200-15-42 - Superlite quickchange carrier purchased from Sprocket Center in 2016.

It looks like the carrier is improperly configured for my Multi and as the cush drives have worn and loosened up a bit it has allowed the carrier to contact the eccentric hub and damage both carrier and hub. I don't think this is necessarily a safety issue, but it DOES damage the eccentric hub.

The hub assembly has a washer that limits the ability of the carrier to move back into the eccentric, but this particular carrier design has an 11mm clearance on it's back that allows the carrier to float on the hub assembly... in this image you can see the clearance on the carrier as a gap between the carrier and the flange:

Over time the cush drives have loosened up and the carrier floated back into contact with the eccentric (because that 11mm clearance actually defeats the purpose of the washer by not limiting the motion of the carrier). Here's the contact damage on the eccentric:

I talked to Sprocket Center and they checked that this is the correct part for my Multi and have forwarded to Superlite. I'll keep you all posted but if you're running the carrier on your DVT Multi I strongly suggest you check for this issue. It's pretty easy to do... pull the carrier (you can do it without breaking the chain) and remove the cush drives then slide everything back onto the hub - this will allow you to move the carrier through all it's allowed motion without the cush drives locking things up. If things are right the carrier should NEVER come in contact with the eccentric hub, the washer should hold it away from metal to metal.

The only other thing I can think of is that the hub is somehow allowing the washer to move back more than it should... but I don't see how that's possible, the hub has a bushing that the washer rides against and it all appears to be correct - here's a vid to see if anyone else has any ideas:

https://www.facebook.com/david.kuhn.106/videos/10212176764033970/

·
Registered
259 Posts
I’ve got a 2012 but will check mine when I overhaul the rear axle soon. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just talked with someone from the Mfgr... they're suggesting that because nobody has seen it before it can't be happening... but I'm sending it back for them to look at.

The weird thing is that this wouldn't be able to happen if the carrier didn't have that deep clearance in it... which seems specifically there to allow the sprocket to float beyond where the spacer would normally stop it. Since the spacer is there at least partly to keep the sprocket from making metal to metal contact with the eccentric - it seems like they're defeating the Ducati design for some reason. Even with the cut in place... if it wasn't so deep it again would stop the sprocket and carrier from contacting the hub (makes me wonder if my carrier has a defect). Opus when you pull your carrier could you measure the depth of that clearance on your carrier... is it also 11mm or is it smaller?

Here's another video that has more details about the cush drives... https://www.facebook.com/david.kuhn.106/videos/10212177225565508/?t=1

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Second followup (have to say I'm impressed with Sprocket Center's response... they seem to be sincerely interested in figuring out what's wrong)... it sounds like the clearance that my carrier has is possibly a manufacturing defect... SC indicated that there's normally a small cut there but it's not supposed to be 11mm deep.

https://www.facebook.com/david.kuhn.106/videos/10212177357968818/?t=0

I'm going to have on of my MechE's with machining expertise look at it monday so I have someone who can make an authoritative statement about the nature of the cut (that it's a machined feature not from damage) then send the part back for the mfgr to look at - but it sounds like I got a bad part.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Second followup (have to say I'm impressed with Sprocket Center's response... they seem to be sincerely interested in figuring out what's wrong)... it sounds like the clearance that my carrier has is possibly a manufacturing defect... SC indicated that there's normally a small cut there but it's not supposed to be 11mm deep.

https://www.facebook.com/david.kuhn.106/videos/10212177357968818/?t=0
sorry to see it Dave, hope you can settle it with Superlite Mfg, hope they will pay for your complete swingarm

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
sorry to see it Dave, hope you can settle it with Superlite Mfg, hope they will pay for your complete swingarm
I'm just hoping they stand by their product and make it right... I wasn't encouraged by my discussion with the mfgr... (turns out he's their President based on his Linked In profile). He didn't seem interested in finding out what was wrong - Sprocket Center on the other hand do seem interested in finding out what's up. I hope it works out... I really like their product (at least until it ground up my hub).

Could be he assumed I screwed up and am just looking for someone else to pay the tab... but the data is all there that this wasn't a screwup on my end - I'm sure these folks are used to dealing with untrained customers rather than someone who built machine tools (though that was many years ago). If I had made that part this would have been caused by a tooling offset error (because electrical engineers make shitty machinists).

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm just hoping they stand by their product and make it right... I wasn't encouraged by my discussion with the mfgr... (turns out he's their President based on his Linked In profile). He didn't seem interested in finding out what was wrong - Sprocket Center on the other hand do seem interested in finding out what's up. I hope it works out... I really like their product (at least until it ground up my hub).

Could be he assumed I screwed up and am just looking for someone else to pay the tab... but the data is all there that this wasn't a screwup on my end - I'm sure these folks are used to dealing with untrained customers rather than someone who built machine tools (though that was many years ago). If I had made that part this would have been caused by a tooling offset error (because electrical engineers make shitty machinists).

Sprocket Center has been really good in my experience. I bought a one piece rear sprocket from them in a kit and it turned out the previous owner had already upgraded to the two piece. They were out of the two piece so I sent my one piece back and they refunded that amount from the kit.

I will check my clearance when I pull it. Won’t be until next weekend though.

·
Registered
348 Posts
60,000km on my Superlite quickchange carrier

DaveK,

just for a data point, I have approx 60,000km on my Superlite quickchange carrier, 2013 MTS 1200s (bike has 80,000km on it now), no sign of this problem. That is my 3rd sprocket/chain on that carrier so far.

as I said, just a data point

J

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DaveK,

just for a data point, I have approx 60,000km on my Superlite quickchange carrier, 2013 MTS 1200s (bike has 80,000km on it now), no sign of this problem. That is my 3rd sprocket/chain on that carrier so far.

as I said, just a data point

J
After talking with the guy at Sprocket Center (after he looked at my video) it appears that the carrier I have is either for a different bike (he assured me it isn't) or suffered a manufacturing defect that caused that cutback to be far too deep. He said he'd never seen a carrier with that deep a cutback before (apparently there's a small cutback - maybe to allow the sprocket to float a bit... but not more than a mm or two rather than the 11mm that I have on mine). The vendor will need to verify that... I'll post what I hear back but this might be a one-off issue.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The superlite folks have had the carrier for 3 weeks now and I've not heard back... so I expect they didn't see what they were hoping to see (they likely assumed it was my fault and the part would show that).

I've just gone ahead and replaced all the parts (except the eccentric hub) so I can get some more riding in before winter (when I get back to the US). For users of the Superlite stuff it appears it was a manufacturing defect (that's the only explanation that makes any sense) that caused my issue so as long as your part is correct you at least won't have this particular failure.

Now I'm looking for someone to part out a bike that uses that hub so I can eventually replace mine with one that's not damaged (the damage is to the adjusting ring... makes it harder to adjust chain but that's it - and cosmetically it bugs me so I'll need to fix it).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Don’t quote me, and you’d want to double check this, but if you are talking about part 75620131A Hub, it looks like it is used in several different models over a range of years. Not surprising as they like to reuse items.

https://parts.crosscountrycycle.net/p/HUB/56113674/75620131A.html

Scroll down to fitment on that page.

Ducati Diavel Standard AMG2012, 2013
Ducati Diavel Standard Carbon2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Ducati Diavel Standard Cromo2012, 2013
Ducati Diavel Standard Dark2013
Ducati Diavel Standard Standard2012, 2014, 2015, 2016
Ducati Diavel Standard Strada2013
Ducati Monster 1200 R2017
Ducati Monster 1200 S2014, 2015, 2017
Ducati Monster 1200 Standard2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Ducati Monster 1200 STRIPES2015
Ducati Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak2012, 2013
Ducati Multistrada 1200 S2015, 2016, 2017
Ducati Multistrada 1200 S GT2013, 2014
Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Pikes Peak2014, 2016, 2017
Ducati Multistrada 1200 Sport2012
Ducati Multistrada 1200 Standard2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Ducati Multistrada 1200 STOURING2013, 2014
Ducati Multistrada 1200 Touring2011, 2012
Ducati Streetfighter 10982012
Ducati Superbike 11982011
Ducati Superbike 1199 Panigale2012, 2013
Ducati Superbike 1199 Panigale R2014
Ducati Superbike 1199 Panigale S2012, 2013
Ducati Superbike 1199 Panigale Tricolore2012, 2013
Ducati Superbike 1199 S2014
Ducati Superbike 1199 Standard2014
Ducati Superbike 1299 S2015, 2016, 2017
Ducati Superbike 1299 Standard2015, 2016, 2017
Ducati Superbike Standard Panigale R2015, 2016, 2017
Ducati SuperSport Standard S2017
Ducati SuperSport Standard Standard2017

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes you're right... and there are two earlier hubs that are compatible (just older designs). I seem them in Italy for $270 which I'd just cough up to get it fixed... but I'm not finding any in the US.

·
Registered
177 Posts
3 weeks is plenty of time for Superlite to inspect and contact in my opinion. It appears you have been nice and forthcoming as well. They should 100% replace with new parts including damaged components, that is the right thing to do. I think you should have gotten an estimate from shop for repairs, and included it along with damaged carrier to show your intent. I'm not sure I'd be quite as complacent as you. It's on them to make it right. You've demonstrated their culpability well.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
3 weeks is plenty of time for Superlite to inspect and contact in my opinion. It appears you have been nice and forthcoming as well. They should 100% replace with new parts including damaged components, that is the right thing to do. I think you should have gotten an estimate from shop for repairs, and included it along with damaged carrier to show your intent. I'm not sure I'd be quite as complacent as you. It's on them to make it right. You've demonstrated their culpability well.
Yea I'd agree... but as I've gotten older I've learned that companies standing by their product is the exception not the rule, their product was overall good quality so I thought 'maybe'... but I've still not heard back from them (not even to admit they received the part - though I have the delivery confirmation so I know they did). It's starting to smell like they're just going to ignore emails and bin the defective part - problem solved. They have a bit of bad press here but since it was (almost certainly) a qc issue that should have been caught (but slipped through the cracks) I can't really badmouth the product - other than to suggest folks check over their parts carefully before installing them to make sure they were made correctly.

Ah well... I don't have much faith in humanity these days... this is just one more 'people = $#!+' data point.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Woahhhhh. :surprise: Sorry I've been MIA at work the last few months guys. Think I'm going out right after this to closer inspect my superlite setup. Hope everything works out Dave

·
Registered
142 Posts
Woahhhhh. :surprise: Sorry I've been MIA at work the last few months guys. Think I'm going out right after this to closer inspect my superlite setup. Hope everything works out Dave
I bought the kit in 2016 for my 15 Multi (so this may only apply to DVT bikes). I didn't have a problem for quite a while but (I think) as the cush drives started to wear in and allowed the carrier to move more this issue became visible... it appears in my case the last week of hot weather riding did the trick because this wasn't presenting last week when I prepped for the ride.

Superlite part# - SCQ50A1200-15-42 - Superlite quickchange carrier purchased from Sprocket Center in 2016.

It looks like the carrier is improperly configured for my Multi and as the cush drives have worn and loosened up a bit it has allowed the carrier to contact the eccentric hub and damage both carrier and hub. I don't think this is necessarily a safety issue, but it DOES damage the eccentric hub.

The hub assembly has a washer that limits the ability of the carrier to move back into the eccentric, but this particular carrier design has an 11mm clearance on it's back that allows the carrier to float on the hub assembly... in this image you can see the clearance on the carrier as a gap between the carrier and the flange:

Over time the cush drives have loosened up and the carrier floated back into contact with the eccentric (because that 11mm clearance actually defeats the purpose of the washer by not limiting the motion of the carrier). Here's the contact damage on the eccentric:

I talked to Sprocket Center and they checked that this is the correct part for my Multi and have forwarded to Superlite. I'll keep you all posted but if you're running the carrier on your DVT Multi I strongly suggest you check for this issue. It's pretty easy to do... pull the carrier (you can do it without breaking the chain) and remove the cush drives then slide everything back onto the hub - this will allow you to move the carrier through all it's allowed motion without the cush drives locking things up. If things are right the carrier should NEVER come in contact with the eccentric hub, the washer should hold it away from metal to metal.

The only other thing I can think of is that the hub is somehow allowing the washer to move back more than it should... but I don't see how that's possible, the hub has a bushing that the washer rides against and it all appears to be correct - here's a vid to see if anyone else has any ideas:

Me too, I noticed the sprocket was moving when servicing the chain. When I first saw this thread I looked at the sprockets and didn’t see an issue, but I also didn’t disassemble. Yesterday after seeing the movement I pulled it apart. I have some metal to metal contact but not nearly as much damage as DaveK experienced. Maybe the nylon crush drives I am using held it for longer? I talked to sprocket center and sent them some pix, after some discussion it looks like they will get replacement parts out soon without much fuss. Thanks to Davek’s post I knew what was going on right away.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hi @DaveK
In your OP, I've noticed PCD on the carrier. What was the number PCD2, 3 or 4?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Mine looks like PCD4 but it's a crappy pix. I bought this mid-2016 , it's amazing it's lasted that long without as much damage as the OP. Must be that I only ride to church and back on Sundays... LOL
Hi @multimike
The carrier offset is different between PCD-3 and PCD-4.
PCD-3 is for the older Streetfighter, 1098/1198, Diavel and Multistrada 1200/1260.
PCD-4 is for the 939 Supersport, Monster 1200, 1199/1299/V4 Panigales.
Both of these will accommodate 520/525/530 sprocket width.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts