Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...almost fried my ass!
Was at a track day at NJMP July 23rd on my 05 749. At wide open throttle doing 135 mph on the main straight, suddenly the engine stops firing and lots of smoke bellowing out. I was able to get it off the track and headed towards the fence when i smelled gas. After getting flat-bedded to the pits i looked for a fuel line leak and saw that the right side fuel line had actually popped off the bottom of the tank!!! That cheap piece of crap plastic Quick Connector had somehow failed (perhaps heat expansion?). I'm convinced that the ONLY reason the bike didn't catch on fire is that i had just installed exhaust wrap the week before!! Otherwise, i'd be hanging in the Burn Unit. Would love to meet the individual at Ducati who approved a flimsy piece of plastic that clicks into place as the single most critical piece of safety on the bike - 'would not hesitate to knock some sense into his dumb ass.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
The plastic Quick Connects on my 748 broke without warning. Mine literally broke in half with the threads staying in the base plate of the tank and the QC portion stayed with the line. Luckily I was sitting in the driveway and the bike was not running. I pulled it out and turned the key on to prime the pump and fuel started spilling out from under the tank. These plastic pieces experience fatigue failures from the temperature cycles (just above hot cylinder head) as well as the pressure cycles. If you take a line from 0 - 45 PSI, it will most likely apply a load to the plastic connector. You do this thousands of times and eventually you experience a fatigue failure. Mine took 13 years to fail, so I'm sure that is a level of fatigue that Ducati was not able to account for in their test plan.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Unless the coupling had been previously damaged, the only way a fuel line will disconnect is because the tab of the locking mechanism did not return to its full out position, i.e. the line wasn't fully inserted. These couplings have proven to be very reliable.

Here's the info you need to replace them with metal fittings.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-wisdom/106540-gas-tank-fuel-line-quick-disconnect-replacements-upgrade.html
Plus 1... I did the replacement on my 748. Worth it for the peace of mind alone if nothing else.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've seen this subject come up so many times, I don't know if I'm missing something or what. The reply never seems to relate to the setup on the '06 999 where the "plastic quick release 90" snaps directly to the flange, and therefore has "no" screw threads to install something better. What can be done in this case????

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Forget about the 748/916. That thread is useless since the 749/999 have a completely different design.

I too had fuel leak problems at one point. Those connectors are crap, but you can live with them, unless you're continuously tinkering with the tank.

There are alternatives, but would require some work.

One alternative is to weld a bung in place of the nipple where the plastic connector goes: this way you can then look back at the 748/916 topic and do the same. The other alternative is to buy the pump plate of an older model with the non quick connect secure two hoses there with clamps and put the quick connect somewhere along the fuel lines.

I however decided to keep it as is and just live with it. Every time I unplug it I replace the o-rings and coat them with some silicon lube. I also keep a couple of spare connectors and inspect them whenever I remove the tank. If damaged they get replaced.

·
Registered
355 Posts
JUST FOR INFO!!

the quick connetors for the mv augusta, and triumph 995i are meatal so dont snap and look a little more bling you can get them on fleabay cheap enough they come with o rings and are quick to fit:cool:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
JUST FOR INFO!!

the quick connetors for the mv augusta, and triumph 995i are meatal so dont snap and look a little more bling you can get them on fleabay cheap enough they come with o rings and are quick to fit:cool:
I don't think they fit the 999. The look like CPC style connect that do not fit the 999 fuel pump plate.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
I've seen this subject come up so many times, I don't know if I'm missing something or what. The reply never seems to relate to the setup on the '06 999 where the "plastic quick release 90" snaps directly to the flange, and therefore has "no" screw threads to install something better. What can be done in this case????
Any way to replace the entire Flange/Fuel Pump assembly with one from a 916/748/996/998? No idea whether this would work or not. Barring that I think you are probably looking at some fairly involved modifications to the existing tank flange to allow you to thread in some of these...

Fast By Ferracci ® - Ducati, MV Agusta, Husqvarna, Moto Guzzi, Bimota, Vespa, Piaggio and Cagiva - Plus: High performance motorcycle and racing parts

I did a Google search of the Superbike forum and found nothing of value other than complaints from those who had run into the same issues. It would appear that the most common fix is to replace the stock plastic ones with new plastic ones on a fairly regular basis, e.g. every two or three times the tank is removed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The 916 plate won't fit. It's not the same diameter. Plus I think the pressure regulator has a slightly lower pressure...

So have I have found no modification that is a simple bolt on, other than the older style 999 plate

Here's a picture of the quick connect on the 999:

Here's without the quick connect: totally incompatible with the CPC style and molded in the pump plate:

Some older style pump plates have barb nipples on (or maybe is the lesser Dark bikes that have it... not sure):

You put a hose with a clamp on the barb of the older style and add the quick disconnect along the fuel lines:

The often pop around on eBay, but now there's none: you try contact the usual RubberSideUp or ImperialSportbikes and see if they have one around.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Yes, I had problems with mine. Put in the brass ones and have only had to replace o rings. It sounds as if you may have not got the fitting all the way in to snap the fixture closed. I've done that on both type. Breaks have never happened to me however I did just recently have a fuel line split and douse me and the bike with gas. I am luck that I didnt go up in a ball of flame as it actually filled the back sparkplug hole up with fuel. I'm lucky that the bike quit before it burst into flames. (and my balls as they were covered too) I'm not a big fan of them up until I have to remove the tank which, has been quite often lately. These eye-talion girls do try your patience.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sorry eyes not working tonight!!!

thought you was on about 748!! :abduct:

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
...So have I have found no modification that is a simple bolt on, other than the older style 999 plate...

Some older style pump plates have barb nipples on (or maybe is the lesser Dark bikes that have it... not sure):

You put a hose with a clamp on the barb of the older style and add the quick disconnect along the fuel lines:

The often pop around on eBay, but now there's none: you try contact the usual RubberSideUp or ImperialSportbikes and see if they have one around.
I went thru Ducati Omaha's online parts catalogs and was not able to find a single model of 749 or 999 that used the right angle fittings shown above. The difference part numbers that I was able to find for the entire Coupling Flange were:

160.2.362.1A
160.2.362.2A
160.2.362.3A

The Quick Connect Unions were listed as follows:

814.4.010.1A
814.1.171.1A

Again, none of these appeared to have a right angle fitting as shown in the above images.

Frustrating...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I went thru Ducati Omaha's online parts catalogs and was not able to find a single model of 749 or 999 that used the right angle fittings shown above. The difference part numbers that I was able to find for the entire Coupling Flange were:

160.2.362.1A
160.2.362.2A
160.2.362.3A

The Quick Connect Unions were listed as follows:

814.4.010.1A
814.1.171.1A

Again, none of these appeared to have a right angle fitting as shown in the above images.

Frustrating...
Look up the parts catalog for a 2003 999. That's where they are from.

The entire flange part number is 160.2.362.1A; the 2A is what my 2006 999S would mount; the 3A is for a 749S (not sure how that is different). You'll see the 1A has also the following parts:

814.1.136.1A Union (Delivery)
814.1.137.1A Union (Return)
827.1.213.1A Plate
8H00.67545 Screw

I've never had one in my hands so I have idea whether the union listed above would fit our cast (I wouldn't be surprised if they do), but if I remember right there is no hole for the screw to hold the plate that holds the unions. But maybe you can drill and tap the plate.

The pump assembly can be completely disassembled. I have a link on how to but it's in Italian...

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Look up the parts catalog for a 2003 999. That's where they are from.

The entire flange part number is 160.2.362.1A; the 2A is what my 2006 999S would mount; the 3A is for a 749S (not sure how that is different). You'll see the 1A has also the following parts:

814.1.136.1A Union (Delivery)
814.1.137.1A Union (Return)
827.1.213.1A Plate
8H00.67545 Screw

I've never had one in my hands so I have idea whether the union listed above would fit our cast (I wouldn't be surprised if they do), but if I remember right there is no hole for the screw to hold the plate that holds the unions. But maybe you can drill and tap the plate.

The pump assembly can be completely disassembled. I have a link on how to but it's in Italian...
Wow... I did not know that they made the 999 in '03. I was going to ask if that Coupling Flange assy is compatible, why not get one and be done with it... then I looked it up and saw the price.

HOLY SH*T... $920.00? Really?

And to add insult to injury, you CAN'T even get the 1A any longer as it has been superseded by the 2A, which puts you right back where you were to begin with. What you really need is a 1A from someone who is parting out an '03 999. If it were me, I would modify the existing Coupling Flange you have. Gotta be a way to plug the existing QC nipples and then thread the flange itself so that you could install some right angle fittings.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Wow... I did not know that they made the 999 in '03. I was going to ask if that Coupling Flange assy is compatible, why not get one and be done with it... then I looked it up and saw the price.

HOLY SH*T... $920.00? Really?

And to add insult to injury, you CAN'T even get the 1A any longer as it has been superseded by the 2A, which puts you right back where you were to begin with. What you really need is a 1A from someone who is parting out an '03 999. If it were me, I would modify the existing Coupling Flange you have. Gotta be a way to plug the existing QC nipples and then thread the flange itself so that you could install some right angle fittings.
I'm telling ya: keep an eye on eBay or look up for two dismantlers that regularly sell there and they might have it. All you need really is the plate, but as I said you might be able to drill and tap yours for the bolt.

On eBay the normally got for $150.

Here's the link on how to disassemble the fuel pump assembly: http://www.motoclub-tingavert.it/t537570s.html. Once you have the plate in your hand you should be able to figure out what to do with it...

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
I'm telling ya: keep an eye on eBay or look up for two dismantlers that regularly sell there and they might have it. All you need really is the plate, but as I said you might be able to drill and tap yours for the bolt.

On eBay the normally got for $150.

Here's the link on how to disassemble the fuel pump assembly: Pulizia pompa benzina - Guida pratica - Forum Ducati 749 e 999. Once you have the plate in your hand you should be able to figure out what to do with it...
Thanks dude, but I have a 748 and already replaced mine with the stainless quick disconnects. So you weren't the OP? Too funny... hope he has been following our conversation.

561 Posts
Hey guy's , just reading your wows with the pumps . I had a 05 999s and had that problem with the fuel line connectors . There is a easier way. Get a piece if fuel line with a 90 degree bend in it , then put you Quick connect in that. But you still have a problem with inside diameter as the bung comming out of the tank is bigger than the Q/C diameter (bung much bigger) I found a piece of hose at NAPA that was like a U shape in it already with 2 soft 90 deg bends and cut that in half . I still had the problem with the bung in the tank being bigger than the inside diameter of the hose , then I drilled a hole the same size as the OD of the hose in a piece of wood ,slid the hose in the hole (I used a 1"X2" ) and then carefully drilled out the inside of the hose to match the OD of the bung.Attached the 90 deg hose to the tank, the QC in the other end and I was done with it.

561 Posts
PS: I used a fuel line that was slightly bigger OD than the 999stock one but still had the same inside ID , so was able to safely drill the line out without sacraficing to much meat on the hose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts