Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to go for a ride after some work to my 06 749, in short I had the tank off. After everything was back together and the fuel pump primed a fuel line popped off. I looked at it and noticed a broke O ring and replaced accordingly. I popped the fuel connector back on and everything seemed good.

I took the bike for a ride to the gas station on the way back the fuel line popped loose again while I was doing about 60. The fuel hit the exhaust and my right leg and instantly caught fire. My bike that I had so much time and money burnt to the ground and I have some pretty nasty burns covering my right leg.

Please learn from me and replace those connectors if there is any doubt.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
OMG. Bike can be replaced. Hope you are OK with your burns. They can be VERY serious. very prone to infection.

·
Señor Member
8,341 Posts
I recently had my carbs off due to a leaking float needle. On mine it’s a simple hose clamp that holds the pressurized fuel supply hose to the carb fitting. I ran it several times with the fairings off so I could get a good look at that connection, making sure it didn’t leak as it is right above the horizontal cylinder.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently had my carbs off due to a leaking float needle. On mine it’s a simple hose clamp that holds the pressurized fuel supply hose to the carb fitting. I ran it several times with the fairings off so I could get a good look at that connection, making sure it didn’t leak as it is right above the horizontal cylinder.
Yea I think the plastic quick connect fuel lines were exclusive to 749s and 999s but I'm not sure on that.
Glad you had safety in mind though. Wish I would of been a little more precautious

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Very sorry about your bike, and I really hope you heal quickly. Burns can be very bad.

And thanks for the heads-up. I'll be sure to double check my fuel connections in the future.

Ron

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
The burns I suffered at the track to my arm and shoulder were the most painful thing I’ve ever been through. Soaking in ice water can help .

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The burns I suffered at the track to my arm and shoulder were the most painful thing I’ve ever been through. Soaking in ice water can help .
Haven't tried ice water but I think it's the chlorine or something in the water here stings like hell. Saline water seems to help though. Thanks for the tip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts