Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It doesn't say in the OEM service manual (or the owner's manual) but I've read that you should ride your bike a bit to warm up the (final drive) chain before checking the chain tension. Is this necessary?

If there are tight spots in the chain, will those spots be tighter or looser with a warm chain ????

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
I would say that answer to that is no. Every other check or measurement is done cold. Belts, valves, fastener torque values. The convention is cold. If warm is required, it would be specified and likely a temp given.

If the tight spots you feel in the chain are caused by cold lube inside the sealed area, then they are probably not really tight spots... They may feel stiff, but would certainly loosen as the chain is used / warmed. A "tight spot" in the chain caused by seals that have failed and now you have no lube and / or corrosion at the rollers, pins and side plates is the real concern. That's when you need to start thinking about a new chain.

Edit: When I say cold, I mean ambient temp... You live in AZ. Your "cold" in not the same as my cold in December in CT. No need to over think this. Chain tension is important, but were not measuring fractions here.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I have never heard this before but if you have tight spots tight enough to effect your adjustment I would think it's time for a new chain.

Reactions: jahjah

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I think that you can drive yourself nuts trying to be "too correct". That said, seems to me cold would be better because you might end up with a loose chain but not a tight one.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
yeah, i'd call it an inbuilt safety margin erring to the desirable side if done cold.

i see a lot of loose chains, but i also see a lot that are on the tight side. some really tight, so tight you can hear it when you push them around the workshop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts