Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My left (as you sit on the bike) mirror stem has a crack in it and the super glue fix didn't work out as it snapped this morning when I put the cover on the bike at work. Does anybody have a wrecked left mirror with an intact stem that they'd be willing to sell me?

TIA

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If nobody has one, is there a source for them? I don't really want to buy the whole mirror assembly or go with aftermarket mirrors. Or does anybody have a better idea than trying to superglue it again? Is there a better adhesive I could be using for this situation?

Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
The mirror stem on my ST4 cracked as well. Poor design IMO. I took the stem off and fiberglassed it on the inside and trimmed off some of the pressure point that causes the stem to break. If you go this route, be sure and rough up the inside and tape everything except the repair area so as not to wreck it with epoxy. I used the mat fiberglass instead of the woven to get a denser patch. Cut the patch first to size, soak with epoxy and wrap around a pencil to insert inside the stem. The mirror fits about 1" down into the stem so be careful not fiberglass to far...I did and spent a lot of time trimming out the excess. You'll might still see the crack, but it is strong and a lot cheaper that $190 the dealer wants for the mirror and stem assemby.
Cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the idea. I've never worked with fiberglass, so I hadn't thought of that. It's funny how well the packing tape I grabbed from work has held up, but it's an ugly fix!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I used a red hot tough steel net, sank into the plastic... super glue on top... fine sand paper... plastic primer... black paint... like new.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts