Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi there,

So for a while i was toying with modifying a monoposto into a biposto... but then a biposto came up for sale in my area and after a test ride i have some questions. Currently i ride a M695 with termis. the bike in question is a 07 biposoto with termis.

1) the bike currently lives outside, but is covered.....it would also live outisde once i baught it..and the spokes are starting to rust...is there a solution other then buying new wheels? or can i powder coat the spokes black (wich i think would look great) to prevent further rusting?)

2) after a 15 minute test ride my back does hurt....how expensive is it to make the bike more comfy? bar risers..or new bars? from what i read the 07 is already more comfortable then the 06.

3) i taught the power was going to be more intoxicating coming from my 695, but i felt it was only marginally more...(i kept it under 5K rpms..maybe that's why?)

4) i found i slid into the tank when i was on it...after awhile i just kind of used my knees to push myself back from the tank...can this be fixed once the bike is set up for my height/weight..etc...or is this normal?

5) could someone please post a picture of a biposto without the seat cowl..i will have my wife with me and would like to see what the bike looks like sans cowl.

- i really love the look of the bike, and im willing to put up with some discomfort....but any advice on any of the points above would be appreciated.

thanks so much for your help..looking forward to joining the SC community.
tt.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
#5.

All the others: anything can be fixed for (insert cost here).

Yes, you slide forward. No fix other than custom seat.

Yes, there are risers out there. Sme found the angle of the levers, not height, to be the cause.

Continual use, your back will conform (submit) to the riding position.

These are a passion purchase, not logical or economical.

I love mine.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The power really doesn't roll on until you get into the higher rev range. It's no super bike but, damn, it's still fun around town and on the track. Just don't tell your wife about all the ladies wink at you and say "I loooooove your bike..." :D

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
1) Don't know. I bought Alpina tubeless rims (money well spent, BTW) before I even got my bike, so very little experience with stock wheels. But the rest of my bike has lived outside for 4 years now with no ill effects from the exposure.

2) Taller adjustable bars are available. Furthermore, some have mounted risers and a GT style bar for even more comfort.

3) Yes. That's why. This engine doesn't come alive until 4K. So if you kept it below 5K, you only just began to tap its power.

4) It's normal, but you get used to it and adapt. You can also add knee pads or stomp grip to the tank's knee cut outs to help with knee grip and prevent slides.

5) NExE took care of that.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
hi there,

So for a while i was toying with modifying a monoposto into a biposto... but then a biposto came up for sale in my area and after a test ride i have some questions. Currently i ride a M695 with termis. the bike in question is a 07 biposoto with termis.

1) the bike currently lives outside, but is covered.....it would also live outisde once i baught it..and the spokes are starting to rust...is there a solution other then buying new wheels? or can i powder coat the spokes black (wich i think would look great) to prevent further rusting?)
You can get the standard hubs and rims rebuilt with new spokes, I'd recommend stainless steel - for obvious reasons - although you can get black too, and while you're at it, get the rims and hubs powdercoated.

(The SC OEM wheels are already quite light and any upgrade should only be considered if you have checked out the improvement in weight, as some are not as light as you think. Including the tubeless Alpinas.)

2) after a 15 minute test ride my back does hurt....how expensive is it to make the bike more comfy? bar risers..or new bars? from what i read the 07 is already more comfortable then the 06.
I spent ages tracking down angled bars, and looked into GT top yoke and bars, but by the time the bars arrived I'd got used to the riding position. - Give it time before you spend money on changing a pretty good riding position.

3) i taught the power was going to be more intoxicating coming from my 695, but i felt it was only marginally more...(i kept it under 5K rpms..maybe that's why?)
Dude, if you kept it under 5000 rpm then you were no where near peak power which is at 8000 rpm. However, a smaller front sprocket will give you better power delivery.

4) i found i slid into the tank when i was on it...after awhile i just kind of used my knees to push myself back from the tank...can this be fixed once the bike is set up for my height/weight..etc...or is this normal?
That sloping seat is a bit weird, but not had troubles myself... Maybe the rear has too much preload?

5) could someone please post a picture of a biposto without the seat cowl..i will have my wife with me and would like to see what the bike looks like sans cowl.
Check this link for plenty of pics of SCs in various states....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dude, if you kept it under 5000 rpm then you were no where near peak power which is at 8000 rpm. However, a smaller front sprocket will give you better power delivery.

Check this link for plenty of pics of SCs in various states....
i agree, plus its got loads of torque.... more than many other bikes. unless ofcourse you want to go compare it to an r1 lol, but i always say that when your buying a ducati, youre buying overall balanced performance as opposed to many bikes just performing in straight lines. these are amazing bikes. i think you would be happy. and maintenance is decently simple as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
you can use rust penetrating spray and steel wool, or some lube and steel wool... its just surface rust right?
after you remove it you can coat the spokes in some clear coat for protection.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
What Hurley says - use wire wool. If the wheels aren't not too bad/rusty, clean with WD40 or other similar penetrating light oil, as it'll clean and coat at the same time. Don't use wire wool on the wheel rims though as it will scratch them.

There is a UK furniture polish called Mr Sheen, which is weirdly good at removing chain lube, engine oil and road grease, and leaves a silicon layer on everything. Lots of bike shops use it to clean all sorts of parts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Another way to clean those spokes up is to get a length of hollow core braided rope and remove the core (so it's very flexible). Soak the rope in polish, wrap it fully around a spoke and polish with a sawing motion.
A liberal application of beer helps as well as polishing spokes can get tedious.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys/gals.

since the main reason i wanted the biposto is to ride with my wife, can anyone give me their experience riding with passenger on an none gt sport classic. we ride fine together on my monster..i dont imagine it to be that much different.

thanks again.
tt.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well.. Youre gonna have to deal with random people drooling over your bike and starring. Not to mention all the Chics that wish they could be your wife on that Ducati......oh wait, you already go through that cuz you already have a Ducati, in that case get ready for AWESOMENESS!! It will be LEGEN- wait for it-DARY!!
Haha
But seriously I think you'll be fine? Just gotta adjust the shocks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
A liberal application of beer helps as well as polishing spokes can get tedious.
I believe high quality beer is an essential part of any comprehensive cleaning operation. After the bike is up on stands, of course......and you don't set it down till tomorrow. Gives a little more time to admire your work!

·
Registered
90 Posts
thanks guys/gals.

since the main reason i wanted the biposto is to ride with my wife, can anyone give me their experience riding with passenger on an none gt sport classic. we ride fine together on my monster..i dont imagine it to be that much different.

thanks again.
tt.
Because of this...

My gf would slide up to the front seat and once in a while I have to ask her to move back a little.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
thanks guys/gals.

thanks again.
tt.
Stock seat passenger accommodations slope back. There are no "grab rails", my wife would hook hands under the seat, but she mensioned the lack of hand holds.

I would not classify the passenger pillon as comforting.

But you can make it work.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks again for all the great advice. i have to admit i am still a bit torn. i love my current monster, its comfortable and reliable and does everything i need. with that said the sport classic offers a new love affair, new mods and new experiences. im just hesitant a little about what ill be giving up...comfort... i know ill be gaining performance and style....

·
Registered
292 Posts
thanks again for all the great advice. i have to admit i am still a bit torn. i love my current monster, its comfortable and reliable and does everything i need. with that said the sport classic offers a new love affair, new mods and new experiences. im just hesitant a little about what ill be giving up...comfort... i know ill be gaining performance and style....
Ha- yes. Im afraid keeping the monster and buying the SC may be the answer here... Then she can have her own bike to ride with you sometimes instead of 2 up - added bonus

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
My wife is petite, and only 50kg, plus she rides - so is the perfect passenger, but she rates the SC as a comfy bike to be on the back of. The chassis and engine certainly have no issues, and I once gave a 30mile lift through Central London to my mate Bazza, who is about 6'1" and probably a coupla hundred pounds... The bike coped better than I did.

·
Registered
90 Posts
To be honest, I'm not very confident taking a pillion. Since I already have to tiptoe a little to reach the ground. The extra weight do lower the bike a bit. Still, I would only go short distance once or twice a year.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Cheap/easy/very effective handlbar/comfort solution - shown here on my 998 but I did the same thing to my sport 1000 first.

This mod made an ENORMOUS improvment in comfort because it allows you to adjust bar angle, height and pull back (reach) to suit your preference. I was actually able to adjust these bars to the point that it made the riding postiion feel too upright and too comfortable for my preferences.

Retains the sporty look of clip-ons too:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts