Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i searched but didnt find anything. i heard from people that because the 696 is air cooled it's prone to overheating on a hot summer day in traffic jam. rush hour here in toronto can get insane and lane splitting is illegal. so... roughly how long does it take for the 696 to overheat at a stand still? does the motor just shuts itself off? potential damages? thanks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It cannot get any hotter in Toronto than here in the Central Valley of California.... Plus, we have horrible traffic....

My bike is fine in the hottest summer days.

If heat is your concern, get an oil cooler....

There are a few available specifically made for the 696 for around $450-600, but I made one for the 696 for about $100(parts)+$50(oil)... I did a write up on another forum....

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/accessories-mods/190921-diy-100-custom-m696-oil-cooler.html

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It cannot get any hotter in Toronto than here in the Central Valley of California.... Plus, we have horrible traffic....

My bike is fine in the hottest summer days.

If heat is your concern, get an oil cooler....

There are a few available specifically made for the 696 for around $450-600, but I made one for the 696 for about $100(parts)+$50(oil)... I did a write up on another forum....

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/accessories-mods/190921-diy-100-custom-m696-oil-cooler.html
wow that is awesome!

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Urban legend from some misinformed LC moto crowd. I ride nothing but AC bikes and many people ask if I ever get stranded from overheating? Nothing against LC bikes but I like em simple, less moving parts, easier to work on, etc, etc..IMO
You should have no problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
m1100 has an oil cooler right? so that helps. perhaps i should get a aftermarket oil cooler for the m696 should i buy it.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
m1100 has an oil cooler right? so that helps. perhaps i should get a aftermarket oil cooler for the m696 should i buy it.
Brother, try driving it for a while first, you will not damage the engine from heat unless you lose all your oil. Do you think they would design a bike without a cooler if there was a chance it would self destruct? Once you get used to an AC bike you'll realize there is no worry.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm on a S2R1000, which I would think is more prone to overheating, and I do OK having been in VA and TX during the summer. I've been pretty close on really bad, hot, traffic days, but still under the recommended temps.

Air cooled is BETTER when you're looking to buy if you ask me.

Less maintenance, less to go wrong, less to bend and break if it falls over.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts