Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I want to buy a 748. I've learned tons lurking here and have been scouring Craig's list and eBay. There are quite a few great bikes out there.

My question is about after market exhausts and chips. Is there a particular setup that is better than all the otheres?

I see bikes with Termi's, Leo Vince, Ferraci. Some say they have chips, some don't. Chips are sometimes Ducati, Ferraci.

I plan on staying here for awhile - seems like a tough but enthusiastic group!

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
95% of the 748 exhausts you see are slip-ons and there's negligible performance differences between the brands. A pair of 45mm Termi's is going to give you the same as 45mm Arrows and 45mm LeoVinci's. Chips or Power Commander maps will definitely help. I like the PC III's because you can get a truly custom map and they are just plain fun to mess around with. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying. I've seen some bikes advertised with 3/4 systems. Very rarely do they indicate full systems.

Am I right that when people refer to the chip, they've replaced the chip in the ICU (Ignition Control Unit - is this right)? Whereas a power commander sort of bypasses the ICU?

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
Yes, if they "get a performance chip" they physically replace the chip in the ECU. The Power Commander actually just modifies the stock signals, so it is in-line with the ECU. It does not really bypass the ECU, just modifys the signals the ECU provides. The flexibility with the Power Commander is that you can re-program it at will. As an example, I got a hold of an extra set of stock exhaust cans and "cored" them, replacing the stock internals with a 2" perforated pipe, and packing material. Louder than stock, but not obnoxiously so, and they flow like most slip-ons. If I use the stock map, I get crackling and little backfires when off throttle, and it doesn't run as well at lower (or higher) RPMs. Quick change of the map (about a minute hooked up to a PC) and presto, runs like a champ and it's still pulling HARD when I bump into the rev limiter.
When I want a quieter evening or mid-week ride, 20 minutes to change the pipes, and another minute to change the map and I'm back to stock. Easy!

And the advantage that nine16 mentioned shouldn't be overlooked either. Custom mapping is always available with the PCIII. It doesn't get much better than that!

Oh, and cool choice on your desired ride! (no bias here :D )

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I may have a 50mm 3/4 Termi system for sale. Plus the chip that was in the bike when I bought it. Ran great I just recently put a 996 motor it so I had to replace the chip....still running the exhaust but thinking of buying a 54mm. Let me know if your interested? [email protected]

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Austin748 - Thanks for explaining the PC III - That definitley looks like the way to go. I have seen some bikes advertised with it.

Viper1 - I'll keep you in mind, if the bike I get does not have pipes.

I'm still shopping for my 748. I've read as much as I can and am forming some opinions, but I still have some questions. I'm not a track guy, but I do want to do it someday. I was leaning towards a '98 or '99 because of suspension. I realy want a red one, but have seen some sweet yellow ones. What's up with the sticker kits? Some bikes have only basic 748 stickers and some look like rolling billboards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts