1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I will post pics of both bikes once they have been delivered to me :D

These BMW guys have gotten smart! They make you fill out the online form, and at the end, they will require you to print-out a form and bring it to a local dealer to have it validated before you can enter the sweepstakes. :think: Nice way to get you into the showroom.

If you don't do it, you still just gave them your correct name, address, phone and e-mail since you want to be contacted for sure when, eh, IF you win ... which you wont ... but still you get spammed and junk mailed for the rest of your life.... COOL DEAL!

·
comrade moderator
26,989 Posts
migz123 said:
... but still you get spammed and junk mailed for the rest of your life.... COOL DEAL!
I'm perhaps way too paranoid, but I won't enter either one of these contests. The minute they ask for an email addy, I'm gone. I don't even really like giving out my phone number and address. I realize they would have to contact you somehow, but I don't like spam, junk mail, and sales calls.

Guess I won't be winning a bike then...

In 2000 and 2001, I was working at a Cycle Gear store and used to get in trouble all the time for not getting 100% "Name Capture". Ya know, a customer buys a can of chain lube and I'm supposed to get his name and addy, as well as a bit of info about the person to put into the computer. Cycle Gear says they don't sell these lists...I can tell you that's complete BS.

Whoa...tangent time!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Chuckracer said:
I'm perhaps way too paranoid, but I won't enter either one of these contests. The minute they ask for an email addy, I'm gone...
That's not paranoid at all ... some people say that these are just 'harmless' data collection.

I spend about 5-7 minutes a day walking over to get my mail, and sorting the good from the bad. (If I don't do it daily, my mailbox will fill-up, the postman will stop delivering and I have to drive to the post office, wait half hour to get my mail)

.... It may not be much, but if you add the minutes ... I spend about 4 working days per year (8 hours per day) just sorting through all the BS that comes in the mail.

How much do you get paid for 4 days of work? Thats the money most people lose because of junk mail every year. SO much for harmless data collection.

Cool huh ... even more bizarre is... knowing all this, I entered the damn contest for the 999R :rolleyes: Hell I might as well swim, I'm already underwater anyways.

·
Registered
319 Posts
DON"T BOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just entered and I am going to win it so its just a waste of time for anyone else to even try!!!!:D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Chuckracer said:
I'm perhaps way too paranoid, but I won't enter either one of these contests. The minute they ask for an email addy, I'm gone. I don't even really like giving out my phone number and address. I realize they would have to contact you somehow, but I don't like spam, junk mail, and sales calls.
I have a different email address that I use for potential spamming (contests-inquiries-online quotes-purchases-etc.) and with the stuff I have sorting that out I only get about 6 spams a day. My personal email address remains completely free of spam.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
smegtheprez said:
I have a different email address that I use for potential spamming (contests-inquiries-online quotes-purchases-etc.) and with the stuff I have sorting that out I only get about 6 spams a day. My personal email address remains completely free of spam.
I do the same. In fact, I have two Yahoo e-mail addresses for such things.

The one evolved into the address I use when registering software, making purchases, etc. That account gets about 10 spams a day, but Yahoo catches them and puts them into the "bulk" folder. Ten a day is not bad on an account I have used for five years.

The other Yahoo account I use for registering for freebie software, promotions, accessing sites such as NY Times, CNN, and other things that I know will result in my getting lots of SPAM. That account gets about 300 SPAMS per day. About 50 a day appear in the main In-box and 250 or so go into the Bulk folder.

My main account, that I rarely use for anything but personal and business communications only gets about 5 spams a day, all tossed into the provider's spam folder. My In-box gets 1 to 3 SPAMS a day, which is pretty good for a seven-year-old account.

Here is a snapshot of my throwaway e-mail address, which I have not checked since March 29, so that is 7 days. Note the number of SPAMS in the Bulk folder. Oh, those 50 mails in the Inbox were all SPAMS too.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
ShadowROne said:
By the way, I never win anything, but what the hell, I put my name in.

In line with the anonymous aspect of my entry, I gave them my answering service voice mail which is like giving them a bogus phone number in terms of telemarketers calling. [calls go directly into voice mail, which telemarketers hate, they simply hang up].

I also gave them my P.O. Box mailing address. If they want to send me junk mail there, hell, I don't care. Besides, junk mail supports the anemic USPS, so getting junk mail is "doing my part" to help the USPS.

And I gave them my "throwaway" e-mail address, the one I use for receiving spam mail, so to speak.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i sent that link to everyone i knew. told them if they win, i'll give em $15K for the bike cash. my wife said she'll give me a family discount. :)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
KRG said:
Bah! Contest is only open to the 'mericans... pfft!
As Sam the tow truck driver told my friend in high school, who had complained about the high tow charges:

"That's the way the weenie wobbles kid."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts