Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am very new to bikes. Here is what is going on. I am purchasing my best friends ninja 250. I will use this while I have my permit, and plan on taking the safety course. I plan on riding for a full season and saving up for a ducati monster 696. Now here is my concern. I am worried that I might be a little tall for one, I sat on them at my local shop and I felt fine but I did feel like after an hour I would need to stretch. Im six foot two. Im also worried that this bike would get old quick. Its a two cylinder. So I was thinking that I would want something bigger after riding it for awhile. I don't like crotch rockets. Is this the case with the monster? Also I plan on having my girlfriend ride on the back of it, will this be an issue? It wont be all the time, but when she wants to go for a ride I will take her.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
If you are 6'2" you should be okay on a Monster. I'm 6' and they work fine for me.

On the other hand, have you considered a Multistrada? I rode a 749 Multistrada for a week in Spain and I really enjoyed it. The Multi would give you a little more room and you would have plenty of room for a passenger. With the Multistrade you can get a slightly bigger engine which might do you for a while longer than the smaller Monster motor. And you can get bags for the Multistrada in case you and your girlfriend want to take a trip.

A third choice might be a Sport Classic. Check out that sub-forum to learn more about them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I did see both of those, I am only interested in monsters. I wont have a passenger all the time, just sometimes. Mostly it would be just me. I was worried about the power of the bike, I mean would it be wise to step to a 1100 monster for a second bike?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like you are new to motorcycling itself, not just Ducati.

In that case, are you sure you want a huge bike to start with (aside from the 250)?

·
Registered
69 Posts
i started on an S2R 800 as my first motorcycle ever and I didn't think it was too powerful once I got used to it. I would say to take a look at a used S2R 800. It is my opinion that the s2r is more stable as the 696 is a quicker handling bike that might get a new rider in trouble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Read my first post and you will see i have already mentioned I am riding a 250 ninja for a full season first. Then planning on buy a ducati.

·
Registered
539 Posts
well im 6'5 and i ride a 750 monster i think you'll be ok at 6'2 it does get cramped on a 2+ hour ride but by then you want a break anyway!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm 6'1, but 6'2 in the summer. I have no issues with riding both my monsters. However, I do have both my monsters maxed out on the ride height rod. I also had a 2003, 620 and I had a 999 Height rod installed making it even higher in the rear....just depends on what makes you feel comfy.

I say don't worry about it. Get the 696, you'll have a blast.:cool:

·
Castle Anthrax
203 Posts
I can also give you some input- since I have ridden both the 250R and a 620- check my signature.

I am 6'2" with a 35" inseam, our son is 6'3" or so with a 34" inseam. He finds the Monster just fine for up to a couple hours at a time. I have only ridden it for about an hour at a time but had no leg problems.

The 620 Monster feels slightly longer from peg to seat than the Ninja 250 even though the specs are very close (within 1/2", IIRC).

Some of the comfort level comes down to flexibility (or lack of it) of the rider.

As far as power, IMHO, it has plenty (remember my usual ride is a BMW 1100 4 cylinder) and combined with its lighter weight- riding the Monster is FUN.

I think that a season on the 250R will be great experience and then moving up to a 600 series Monster would be a good progression.

Both our kids learned on the 250 and our daughter still loves it but our son REALLY loves his Monster.

Good luck,
John

·
Registered
182 Posts
Glad to hear you are being smart new. I kept my Ninja 250 for a year then I sold it and got my Shiver 750, now I'm moving up to an M1100 :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm 6'1" (34" inseam) and I just bought a 2009 Monster 1100 as a second bike. I felt that the 696 was a little small, but the 1100 was just right. Seat height delta between the two is less than 2 inches, but I can really feel the difference. I am also relatively new to riding and rode a suzuki gs500 for 3 years before this. A monster 1100 is a massive difference in power and handling (~47hp vs 95hp). I cannot imagine getting tired of this bike. It is a blast to ride. The Manager at the Ducati dealer actually steered me away from the new streetfighter as a second bike, recommending a few more years of riding experience. I think he was right. I'm not sure what kiind of trouble 155hp would have gotten me into. Either way, test ride your next bike and make sure it feels right.

·
Registered
28 Posts
At your height, you have lots of options as far as sport bikes go. I wouldn't limit yourself to the 696. Sit on anything that interests you, and after you get your license, try a lot of different bikes. Find out what sort of motorcycling you want to do. The 696 may not be an ideal highway or long distance bike. Also bear in mind that parts for Ducatis are very expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Both our kids learned on the 250 and our daughter still loves it but our son REALLY loves his Monster.

Good luck,
John
Just had to comment on that picture. What a good looking family, and all riding together...how cool is that? I assume Mom is holding the camera.

It's not that often that you see street riding as a family activity. That's really just wonderful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my second bike

after a few years of not riding (my previous bike was a ninja 500, which i rode for a few years) i decided to get back into riding. knew i wanted a monster, but wasn't sure about the 696 or 1100. at the shop, the first 2 sales people i spoke with tried to convince me to go with the 696, but i was hesitant because i knew i would be craving more power, and it felt way to small for me -- i'm 6'0. so i bought the 1100.

thinking long term, you'd be much more happy with the bigger bike. i was a little worried about the power issue (double the horsepower as someone pointed out), but it wasn't a big deal for me, because aside from environmental factors, you're in control of your own safety. once you get a feel for it, it's easy to ride. the 1100 isn't some kind of fire breathing dragon that doesn't take it kindly that you're riding on its back.

·
Castle Anthrax
203 Posts
Just had to comment on that picture. What a good looking family, and all riding together...how cool is that? I assume Mom is holding the camera.

It's not that often that you see street riding as a family activity. That's really just wonderful.
Thanks YellowDuck. (OP, sorry for the hijack/detour)

Thirty years ago I did a couple of seasons of amateur roadracing and Cathy (yes, holding the camera) and I toured all over the northeast US and Canada.
The kids then came along and the bikes were sold. Two years ago I started back into riding, the kids took the MSF course and occasionally we go on family rides.
A few weeks ago we went over to Maine for a few days- here we are packed up and set to leave:

John

·
Registered
43 Posts
You may also want to think about weight. I am 6'2 220 and I do a lot of 2 up riding. With a passenger and all of the extra gear, I would get very close to maxing put the load capacity of the 696. Don't forget to take the weight of fuel and fluids into consideration. (40ish lbs) You'll have a blast no matter what you get.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Hey guys I am very new to bikes. Here is what is going on. I am purchasing my best friends ninja 250. I will use this while I have my permit, and plan on taking the safety course. I plan on riding for a full season and saving up for a ducati monster 696. .

That's all smart man. Good call.
I've been scooting for 44 years now.
In addition to my 1100 S and KLR, I have an '08 250 R
in the garage. No less fun than the Duc. Just different.
Enjoy your experiences.
It's a fantastic passion/sport.

t.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't help you with the height issue, as I am only 5'10", but I will address a couple of other areas. My son has a 696 and I have put a few hundred miles on it. It is a fun bike. It handles well. I think it has plenty of power. I have taken it on rides with guys on a variety of styles of bikes and kept up just fine. About 200 miles is my max on the bike, but I have a feeling that if I rode it more my body would adapt to it. If it was mine and I wanted to do longer rides, I would look into an aftermarket seat for better comfort. So, my opinion is that it is a fine bike, whether you are new or not.

I am not so certain it will be good for two up riding. I have not taken a passenger on the 696, but my son has taken his girlfriend on it a few times and I don't think it was very comfortable for her. Short rides I guess would be fine, but I don't think you'd have a happy passenger after an hour or so.

I hope this helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts