Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK you suspension set-up gurus, riddle me this...

On my HM, I have virtually no wanker stripes on the rear tire, but it is obvious I'm not using the front tire to the same extent. On the front, I probably have 1/2" or so unused tire. (Pirelli Diablo Stradas)

By comparison, when I used to run my KTM 640 Supermoto over the same roads (Pesky, Alpine, Old Page Mill, Moody), I would have no chicken stripes at all on the front tire, but 1/2" wide stripes on the rear. (Bridgestones Battlaxes)

My riding style and aggression is about the same on both bikes, which got me thinking about set-up.

What conclusions might one draw about the two set-ups? I've never fiddled with the HM ride height adjuster and I believe it is at its stock and lowest setting.

Seems like if I increased rear ride height, I would more fully load the front end and perhaps start using more of the front tire. As it is now, the front end seems to stick reasonably well, pushing a bit only when I hit the inevitable patches here and there.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Not an answer, but an added question. Is anyone out there using the entire front tire on the Hyper?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I did a few track days on a 640 KTM with Pilot Powers I always had quite wide chicken strips on the front but none on the 160 rear except when I put a 160 on a 4.25 rim and I ended up with half inch chicken strips. Obviously the tyre was too wide for the rim.

I'm still getting used to the Hyper and haven't done a track day yet and have half in chicken strips on the back which looks pretty lame. If I can't get rid of them riding I'll take to them with the electric sander!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm getting all the good out of the back tire and have ground down my rear brake lever halfway and scraped the pegs around a bit.

Still have about a quarter inch unused on the front tire.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Might have to do with profile differences between the two different bike tire/wheel setups.

ITs pretty common that riders can run off the edge in the rear but not the front. Seen it for years.

I often ride the same roads as you and on my DZR400SM im scrubbed to the edge front and back. On the HM which ive only had for a week now its not the same case, but i plan on getting a bit more dialed in on it. As far as Alpine I'm not sure ill ever be as quick on the HM as i am on the DRZ. Might be that im not fully used to it but my current thought is the DRZ is still better suited for that particular type of rd.

What do you guys end up going with the suspension to get them to hang in the super nimble stuff?

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it would seem then the OP is only half a wanker :)
True, but as long as I get off, ask me if I care...!

Might have to do with profile differences between the two different bike tire/wheel setups.
The profiles of the two types are tires are quite similar; however, the KTM rear was a 160 vs 180 on the HM. Everything else being equal, I would have expected to use more of the smaller 160. When I first got the HM, I thought to myself I will never use the whole 180, but to my surprise I do.

In any case, rather than comparing the two bikes/wheels/tires (even though that's what got me thinking about this in the first place), perhaps a more generic question might be:

If you are using way more of one tire (front vs rear) than the other, could the set-up be adjusted to get a better balance? Or should well enough be left alone?

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
After watching the IOM coverage, I'm convinced that the race rubber doesn't wrap around the side walls as much as my scorpion syncs do. Different profiles between tires an apples/oranges thing. I'm going to measure with a tailors tape my sync and the bridgestone on my TW, both 180's.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Hey Bill,

I noticed this too where the front tire has approx 1/4" that is not touched while the back goes to the edge when scraping footpegs, headers, levers, etc. I think they may have designed this in as it is a "front end aggressive" bike, and I have a peace of mind knowing that the front is still on the contact patch when the back might be on the edge.

Hope this helps brother! See you in September!

:abduct:

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Keep in mind while measuring that just because it's a 180 doesn't mean the shape of the tire will be the same between brands or even between models within a brand. The only way to really compare would be the exact same tires on the exact same size rims on the two bikes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My hyper s with stock corsa 3s also has used all the rear with strips still left on the front. Maybe it is just the bike. I have asked myself the same question each time I check my tires before and after rides.

Steve

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I had a 93 CBR900RR that was notorious for having mismatched tire profiles. The rear was a normal 17 inch and the front was a 16 inch. The front always had 1.5-2 inches of "wanker strips" on it even if you took it all the way out to the edge on the rear.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Bill, if you want to get rid of the strips on the front crank up the damper and try a 110/70 on the front.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Hey Bill,

I noticed this too where the front tire has approx 1/4" that is not touched while the back goes to the edge when scraping footpegs, headers, levers, etc. I think they may have designed this in as it is a "front end aggressive" bike, and I have a peace of mind knowing that the front is still on the contact patch when the back might be on the edge.

Hope this helps brother! See you in September!

:abduct:
+1 Couldn't have said it better myself :rolleyes: Aloha Alex

·
Registered
666 Posts
Does it really mean anything that you use all of the tread on the tire, except at the track? I didn't use all of the 16.5 inch front tire on my supermoto race bike, until I was really foot down and sliding into corners. On my Hyper I'm using all of the 190 rear and all but a 1/4inch of the front, but who cares. Does it really mean anything that you use all of both tires on the street? Chicken strips are highly over rated IMHO.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Does it really mean anything that you use all of the tread on the tire, except at the track? I didn't use all of the 16.5 inch front tire on my supermoto race bike, until I was really foot down and sliding into corners. On my Hyper I'm using all of the 190 rear and less than 1/4inch of the front, but who cares. Does it really mean anything that you use all of both tires on the street? Chicken strips are highly over rated IMHO.
Chicken strips are only overrated, if you have the wrong sauce, I like the barbeque, :p so tasty! LOL Alex

</IMG>

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does it really mean anything that you use all of the tread on the tire, except at the track? I didn't use all of the 16.5 inch front tire on my supermoto race bike, until I was really foot down and sliding into corners. On my Hyper I'm using all of the 190 rear and all but a 1/4inch of the front, but who cares. Does it really mean anything that you use all of both tires on the street? Chicken strips are highly over rated IMHO.
The question at hand pertains more to whether or not there is any merit in having the same width strips, if any, front and rear; not whether you have chicken strips or not.

At this point, I think I'm willing to go with Hyprduc and 08Hyper's view that this bike is just designed to maintain an aggressive front contact patch and, as a consequence, the front will have wider strips than the rear.

As stated in my opening post, I'm generally happy with how the front end sticks, but I was struck by how differently the HM wears tires vis-a-vis the KTM and that just got be a wondering...

BTW, I don't drag pegs, levers or anything else on this bike. More often than not, I'm going through turns in a style more road racing-oriented than supermoto.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yep, as I was saying; same rider, same bike, same tire, same track, different rim resulted in chicken strips because the narrower rim gave a more rounded profile.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts