Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per subject, wondering if anyone has a walkthru on removing the AIS and installing block-off plates on a 1200 DVT, the instructions that came with my kit are more or less worthless.

I'm sure I've seen people mention a thread before but I couldn't find it with search, nor by going through the first 10 or 12 pages in this forum.

TIA

·
Registered
100 Posts
No block off plates, it is kinda easy (2016)

IIRC I blocked off one line coming from the crankcase and put an allen screw in place of the hose...

I'll try and find the thread, because I know I didn't do it blind lol

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I bought a set of block off plates I don't need?

Thanks for the link, i knew it was here I just couldn't find it. Funnily enough, I commented in it :p

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ya, I did not do that.

AIS is something different than the charcoal cannister.

Removed the AIS on my R1, but not the Multi.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ya, I did not do that.

AIS is something different than the charcoal cannister.

Removed the AIS on my R1, but not the Multi.
I was talking of the AIS . I did not touch the canister.
The same worked well on a 950 though.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AIS Valve Removal kit with Block Off plates PLE-115 -- this has the installation guide.

I had these on my bike and ran into trouble with the bike behaving like it's got asthma. the idling rpm was varying between 0 - 1200 in a rhythmic way and used to cut off too. Got back to stock set up.
That is the kit I bought, their instructions were a bit garbage is why I posted...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For what it's worth, I got this done saturday and while I forgot to take pics, I will give a few points for anyone who might be considering doing this in the future.

1) remove the side panels and brackets on both sides as well as the fuel tank cover and remove the fasteners holding the tank down (rear are x2 torx on each side, front two are 5mm hex

2) lift up the tank from the rear and insert something to hold it up (I used a rubber mallet) and undo the x4 torx fasteners holding the plastic bracket under the seat (you'll need to move this bracket out of the way to tighten the screws for the AIS block-off plates

3) to undo the hose clamps at any point in this, just put a flat-head screwdriver under the clamp and gently pull up, it shouldn't take much force to cause it to snap loose

4) removing the AIS valve connector was the hardest part of the entire job, what I ended up doing was pulling it free from the plastic standoffs (just pull it straight out towards you) but be careful of the short bit of hose behind it that goes to the airbox, the kit I bought had a plastic plug that went into this bit of hose in the spot the valve originally went, but when I pulled out on the valve it disconnected the other end of the hose from the airbox

(Note) the plug to the AIS valve was very stubborn and took way more effort to remove than I would have expected, it's just a standard press down connector, but for some reason it's split in two length-wise and this made it difficult

5) install the AIS removal plug in place of the valve on the wiring harness

6) the horizontal cylinder valve is a piece of cake to get to, I have an evotech skid plate/guard so I had to remove that, if you don't have it, you should be able to get at the AIS plate easily (remove the hose, then the hex fasteners and it comes right off)

7) install the AIS block-off plates in place of the AIS plates (I put a bit of low strength loctite on each screw)

8) fire up the bike and verify there are no check engine lights, if you get one double check the AIS removal plug is firmly seated in the connector

9) reinstall the plastic bracket under the seat, re-attach the tank, install the tank cover and side planels/brackets

Reactions: Shubz

·
Registered
85 Posts
For what it's worth, I got this done saturday and while I forgot to take pics, I will give a few points for anyone who might be considering doing this in the future.

1) remove the side panels and brackets on both sides as well as the fuel tank cover and remove the fasteners holding the tank down (rear are x2 torx on each side, front two are 5mm hex

2) lift up the tank from the rear and insert something to hold it up (I used a rubber mallet) and undo the x4 torx fasteners holding the plastic bracket under the seat (you'll need to move this bracket out of the way to tighten the screws for the AIS block-off plates

3) to undo the hose clamps at any point in this, just put a flat-head screwdriver under the clamp and gently pull up, it shouldn't take much force to cause it to snap loose

4) removing the AIS valve connector was the hardest part of the entire job, what I ended up doing was pulling it free from the plastic standoffs (just pull it straight out towards you) but be careful of the short bit of hose behind it that goes to the airbox, the kit I bought had a plastic plug that went into this bit of hose in the spot the valve originally went, but when I pulled out on the valve it disconnected the other end of the hose from the airbox

(Note) the plug to the AIS valve was very stubborn and took way more effort to remove than I would have expected, it's just a standard press down connector, but for some reason it's split in two length-wise and this made it difficult

5) install the AIS removal plug in place of the valve on the wiring harness

6) the horizontal cylinder valve is a piece of cake to get to, I have an evotech skid plate/guard so I had to remove that, if you don't have it, you should be able to get at the AIS plate easily (remove the hose, then the hex fasteners and it comes right off)

7) install the AIS block-off plates in place of the AIS plates (I put a bit of low strength loctite on each screw)

8) fire up the bike and verify there are no check engine lights, if you get one double check the AIS removal plug is firmly seated in the connector

9) reinstall the plastic bracket under the seat, re-attach the tank, install the tank cover and side planels/brackets
Please do keep me posted if you face any idling issues/cut off issues etc. Not trying to discourage -- but I faced severe issues post AIS removal and couldn't figure out what the issue was.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Please do keep me posted if you face any idling issues/cut off issues etc. Not trying to discourage -- but I faced severe issues post AIS removal and couldn't figure out what the issue was.
Shouldn't you have to adjust the fuel maps when you eliminate the AIS ? I had to do it on my R1.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Shouldn't you have to adjust the fuel maps when you eliminate the AIS ? I had to do it on my R1.
Nope. Didn't have to. Mine was on stock exhaust.

I will have to try with the Full system on ( i have the AKRA full system) with AIS.

Even with that -Don't think there is a need to adjust the fuel map.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I've got a rapid bike installed, and I specifically installed the AIS block-offs to address and off-throttle issue I was having with backfiring that Rapid Bike said was down to AIS.
I'll report back once I get a chance to ride.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well I've got a rapid bike installed, and I specifically installed the AIS block-offs to address and off-throttle issue I was having with backfiring that Rapid Bike said was down to AIS.
I'll report back once I get a chance to ride.
The only difference could be the Rapid bike!! I will be looking forward to your post ride report! thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Install went well enough but my bike now stalls for what appears to be no reason, does anyone familiar with Rapid Bike know if you have to reset the maps or anything? I've emailed Rapid Bike, so hopefully Yaman can tell me what I need to do if nobody here knows ;)

edit well he was less than helpful, he just said I left a vacuum line disconnected, maybe he doesn't know the AIS removal "removes" the entire system? The airbox is plugged, that's all that was left.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it appears I have similar issues, not sure if the rapid bike needs the maps reset or something, will update when I hear back.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well it appears I have similar issues, not sure if the rapid bike needs the maps reset or something, will update when I hear back.
I think RB has Auto learning mode? Try removing the AIS removal kit and get it back to stock mode and see if that resolves the issue?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think RB has Auto learning mode? Try removing the AIS removal kit and get it back to stock mode and see if that resolves the issue?
The whole idea behind RB is it uses the stock o2 sensors to adjust the bike's fueling based on the exhaust gasses. I'm going to put some fresh fuel in today and try riding some more and see if it happens again. I did keep all the hardware from the AIS kit, so if worse comes to worst I can at least put it back to stock.

The bike stalled twice on a short ride, with no sign that it was running poorly, so I'm not even sure it's due to the AIS removal, but based on your post I can only assume it's related.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts