Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Walked away from a bad crash. Hit a deer going pretty fast. Saw the deer... blink... impact. Tumbled, rolled, into oncoming traffic. Car barley missed me. I was waiting for the impact of the car, and it never happened. Happy to be alive! God saved me. Pretty banged up, bumps and bruises, but I'm alive. Bike is totaled. Dealing with insurance et...

So happy to have good gear on. It took a beating, but it did its job.

Most of you know that I just got this bike. This was my first real ride in the mountains with this bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Can you describe your protective gear and what helped and possibly what didn't? I'm always trying to learn. Glad you're ok. Steve

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thank the Lord you're in one piece. Another testimony of wearing good gear all the time.

Wildlife is one of my greatest fears; critters jumping in front of you from cover. Hit a dog once on a bike and there was absolutely nothing I could have done to avoid it.
I always say a short prayer before every ride.

Glad your ok.

Scott L.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you describe your protective gear and what helped and possibly what didn't. I'm always trying to learn. Glad you're ok. Steve
Sure, Shark Race R Pro helmet that I absolutely think is great. BMW Tourshell Jacket. Didn't have the bike long enough to change to the KLIM jacket I wanted for the Ducati. Older Olympia textile pants. Sidi Airflow boots. Sedici long racing gloves.

I feel like the armor in the jacket did a great job as I only have a bruise on my left shoulder after tumbling and tumbling. Seriously, I was wondering when I was going to come to a stop. Hopped right up on my feet as is instinct in something like this. The left shoulder of the jacket is torn, but that is to be expected.

Helmet lid stayed intact and closed. Didn't have a hard impact with my helmet. Landed shoulder first, then 3/4 on my face. Helmet is scuffed, blood from the deer on the helmet.

One of the boots is ripped. I think having better upgraded boots would've helped with more protection. My left ankle was pretty swollen. These Sidi's are the cheaper basic boots.

Olympia pants are ripped. Knee armor did it's job though, as there is no pain on either knee after tumbling.

Sedici gloves are coming apart at a couple seams from the impact, but nothing substantial. They may be in the best shape of everything. After the crash, I noticed that my fingers were burning badly. Kinda afraid to take off my gloves but there was nothing. My hands were just heated up from the crash.

Absolutely no road rash at all. Very happy with all the gear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank the Lord you're in one piece. Another testimony of wearing good gear all the time.

Wildlife is one of my greatest fears; critters jumping in front of you from cover. Hit a dog once on a bike and there was absolutely nothing I could have done to avoid it.
I always say a short prayer before every ride.

Glad your ok.

Scott L.
Hi Scott,

Yes, I've been thanking The Lord a lot that I am alive. I too pray before each ride and during the ride a lot. I have a lot of questions and emotions right now. I'm not sure how to come back after something like this. All my life I have pretty much only done things that I could control. Like, I don't ride roller coasters because they're dangerous! And I can't control them. I do ride fast in the mountains, but not above my ability. Deer is something you can't control, and I'm not sure what to do with that.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Glad you made it!

Hey, you were luckylit, that's for sure; but ATGATT helps make the luck.

·
Super Moderator
5,366 Posts
Sorry to here about the crash! Glad to see you came out of it relatively unharmed! A testament for the used of good gear!

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Deer is something you can't control, and I'm not sure what to do with that.
Time to take up deer hunting and thin that heard!

Great to hear you are all right and the gear did its job, you have done your part to play another day if you wish. Animals and other hazards are a fact of life and there is not much you can do about them, it may not be a easy choice to get back out there but you will make one. Best of luck to you we are glad you are still here.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Hi Scott,

Yes, I've been thanking The Lord a lot that I am alive. I too pray before each ride and during the ride a lot. I have a lot of questions and emotions right now. I'm not sure how to come back after something like this. All my life I have pretty much only done things that I could control. Like, I don't ride roller coasters because they're dangerous! And I can't control them. I do ride fast in the mountains, but not above my ability. Deer is something you can't control, and I'm not sure what to do with that.
You know that God is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent, right?

Reactions: CanyonCarver

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Thank you for a reminder of reality. Well done on managing the event.

r-

Tom C.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Two new riders of ST's and two serious accidents in their first month. This seems to reflect findings that Familiarity with the bike was the largest risk factor independent of experience or age. Wish I could find that study.

I am the 3rd newbie to the ST this month! I will slow down to give myself more adjustment time with the bike. I think even deer strikes can be mitigated somewhat. Questions to ask rangers & experts or ourselves, when are deers most active, where are frequent crossings, etc. I will be covering my brakes, too where I have seen signage or had them cross before.

Glad both you guys are alive & walking. Canyon Carver, reflection time is good. Fear and contemplation are healthy for self preservation. Take your time. Whatever decisions come about, they will be the right ones for you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm not sure how to come back after something like this. All my life I have pretty much only done things that I could control. Like, I don't ride roller coasters because they're dangerous! And I can't control them. I do ride fast in the mountains, but not above my ability. Deer is something you can't control, and I'm not sure what to do with that.
Ultimately, the idea of control is nothing more than a comforting fantasy. My work buddy Ahmed and I had been chatting every morning in the break room about our upcoming retirements. That stopped a month ago when a blood vessel in his brain failed without warning and he died a dozen steps from my desk.

Yet while Murphy rules, risk can be mitigated. (Elimination of risk on a motorcycle requires not riding motorcycles). We all know this, and most do so. Gearing up is one way and it's good up to a point. Riding slower is another, yet seems much less popular - less 'manly' I suppose. Yeah, going fast is fun, but IMO, going fast on the street can never be called safe. While 9/10 may be within the rider's skill limits, options to deal with unexpected events, like deer jumping out, diminish rapidly with speed and the consequences of crashing increase even more rapidly. No, I'm not advocating running 55 on a 75 mph expressway (though I'd prefer to take a different road at 55). But part of the path to getting me old enough to be an old fart was confining my racing speeds to racetracks. My body, my rules. The 'loss' of thrill however came with it's own gifts - sun, wind, and viewing deeply the surrounding countryside which I'd all missed in a blur when riding fast.

YMMV.

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,628 Posts
Hi Scott,

You know that God is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent, right?
Yup, absolutely!
Then you know who caused the accident in the first place.
...Nice set up dude...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts