Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I couldn't find this on the ny dmv site, I'm buying a bike but won't be able to register for two months, if I buy a bike is there a timeframe that I need to register if I keep it in a garage and don't ride it?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
https://dmv.ny.gov

but you can't get a new registration there... only renewal. For new or lapsed registrations you have to go in person.

If you're not driving it on the road however... you can wait as long as you want to register.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Up here in the PRM, if you "wait" to register a purchased vehicle, the RMV adds additional "back taxes". I believe the normal, non-penalized period is less than 2 weeks.

So if it's a private sale, I suggest not having the date written down. Just get the sellers signature on the rear of the title (in the correct spot!!!) and on the bill of sale.

Then, when you go to register it, date both the title and BOS with the same date, like a day or 2 prior...

If the seller insists on a date, have them fill out a separate BOS with the date on it, and keep the non-dated one for "the day".

·
Registered
87 Posts
Up here in the PRM, if you "wait" to register a purchased vehicle, the RMV adds additional "back taxes". I believe the normal, non-penalized period is less than 2 weeks.

So if it's a private sale, I suggest not having the date written down. Just get the sellers signature on the rear of the title (in the correct spot!!!) and on the bill of sale.

Then, when you go to register it, date both the title and BOS with the same date, like a day or 2 prior...

If the seller insists on a date, have them fill out a separate BOS with the date on it, and keep the non-dated one for "the day".
What he said about the title and registration.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Don't know about NY but here in Ri you could have some penalties coming depending how long you wait, penalty and interest fo non-payment of sales tax...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Don't know about NY but here in Ri you could have some penalties coming depending how long you wait, penalty and interest fo non-payment of sales tax...

Also similar in NJ. I think there is a certain period where you have to transfer the title into your name. I think it's mainly due to the sales tax.
I bought a few bikes in the winter months but always went immediately to have the title transferred to my name. I didn't wanted to get surprised 3-6 months later that there was a issue with it.

You should be able to transfer the title w/o registering the bike at the same time. At least in NJ there should be no price difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Also in California a seller will turn in a form to the DMV releasing them from any
liability as soon as they sell the bike listing the date of the sale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts