Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

916SPS or 998S FE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Flying Brit
1,809 Posts
Although I do like the 998 , it has to be the 916SPS!

·
Registered
299 Posts
You know, I find myself doing a similar comparo....

I have a 996 SPS and a modded 998 Mono (996R ecu, pc III, bunch of other goodies). I cant keep both but i'm having drama over which to keep. My SPS seems more nimble and a tad quicker. The 998 feels sturdier - maybe 'cuz its heavier?... or it's all in my mind......

If youre looking for something "special"... and a trophy bike of sorts... Get the 916SPS-

Until you come across a 998R

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
916sps

I currently have a 98 916SPS. I am looking at FE, but having a real hard time thinking of parting with the SPS. I agree, a 998R is my deam but the only one I have ever found was $28K.

·
Registered
205 Posts
if your going to ride it, the 998 is the better bike.

Flash

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Logic tells you get the 998FE, but historical significance and uniqueness and all the rest on the emotional scale tells me the 916SPS would be my choice. A 996 with a 916 label and used for homologation purposes for the crankcase and frame, depending on whether a 97 or a 98 916SPS. If I were to buy the 916 SPS I would hope it was the 1998 model. Eventhough only 404 97 916SPSs were produced vs 1,058 in 98, the 1998 model had some tidy upgrades: revised rockers (had to be an improvement), titanium con rods (anything titanium in my book is good), lighter frame (homologation), carbon fiber airbox (regidity theory), brakes system and forks improved (gold Brembos), Ohlins steering damper and a better regulator (obviously Ducati recognized finally the electrical gremlins). I don't know if that improved regulator was three phase though. (info from Ian Falloon's book - Ducati)

The 1998 916SPS would be on my short list and it was and still is a bike I would want to own, if not that I'll take a 916SP in lieu of. Oh, having 134 HP at the crank wasn't too shabby either. Both the 916SP and I'm sure the SPS had their own unique exhaust note, no doubt very cool. I've heard the 916SP with a full system and to this day is one of my most favorite exhaust music.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Both the 916SP and I'm sure the SPS had their own unique exhaust note, no doubt very cool. I've heard the 916SP with a full system and to this day is one of my most favorite exhaust music.
+1. My 955SP has a bark to it I've not heard on any other 4V Ducati, and is one of few that rank with a 2V with termi's in the sound dept.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
The SPS is all about owning a collectors item. The 998FE is really just a 998S that was manufactured later in time.

So the decision should be; Do you want a collectors bike or not? If you plan on riding it more then just the occasional weekend jaunt, I'd get the 998FE. The 916SPS is an antique motorcycle really and sure the exhaust note might be better and its kool to own something unusual, but its nowhere near the build quality and feature laden 998FE.

I'm biased, I personally buy bikes to ride. I always go for the performance/build quality vs esthetics of which, you and only a small hand-full of people will ogle over a 916SPS since both the 998 and 916 to the average biker look the same.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree. I love my SPS but I don't ride it more than once per week for a short ride. I almost feel bad putting miles on it since they are so few and far between. Sounds like I need to just add to the SPS with a standard 998 or 999. Prices on the 999 are dropping pretty fast.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
See my signature..
:D

//amullo

·
Registered
35 Posts
You know, I find myself doing a similar comparo....

I have a 996 SPS and a modded 998 Mono (996R ecu, pc III, bunch of other goodies). I cant keep both but i'm having drama over which to keep. My SPS seems more nimble and a tad quicker. The 998 feels sturdier - maybe 'cuz its heavier?... or it's all in my mind......

If youre looking for something "special"... and a trophy bike of sorts... Get the 916SPS-

Until you come across a 998R
I there any benefits from the PCIII with the DP stuff???

·
Registered
3,393 Posts

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
To those that say SPS for its historical value and collectability and the 998FE to ride, why not say a 1098? Its pretty clear, given the two choices, what the poser of the question is getting at--and it's not "I want to get a bike to ride that costs about as much and performs worse than a 1098."

Makes the SPS a clear choice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts