Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing around with vortex generators (VG's) with the goal of reducing SOME of the turbulance behind the stock screen....found something that works for the most part! Most of the blast I feel comes from the "cutout" areas so that the handlebars dont interfear with the windscreen. It shoots through and hits me in the shoulder and chest area and creates turbulance under the chin of my helmet. After looking at different designs, I chose the low drag VG's patented by a Gary O Wheeler and made them out of clear PETG flatstock. I've been riding all day trying them in different locations and angles.....but they do reduce a measurable amount of turbulance and "feels" as though the screen is wider than it is. I removed the left side VG's and the air current is strong and direct coming off the edge of the screen, while the right side had an air current that was softer and flaired out somewhat away from my torso ( all felt with my left hand at 35 up to 65mph ). While I just used clear tape on these quick prototypes, next I plan to vacuum form some and use clear double sided 3M tape to apply them so they dont stand out with the stupid tape LOL, cool thing is they can be removed or moved around anytime. While this was just to try and reduce some buffeting....I did notice it seemed a little quieter, but nothing dramatic as I realize I AM on a motorcycle. Anybody else try a form of VG's on a screen with good results? Next I'll try a shorty screen, this has been a fun exercise to try, but it did work!
Cheers, Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Jeff-

very cool idea. Have you seen the "hiss flaps" thread? You have the same idea- that much of the noise on the 1200 is from the high speed turbulence that is formed on the top of the fairing and goes past the edges of the windshield. I installed the hiss flaps and it made a huge difference in noise. Your approach would be even more elegant...

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Very interesting exercise. Would love to hear your opinions on what works.

The little I know about vortex generators are that they are usually installed along wing surfaces to generate a trail or 'fence' of turbulent air to control lateral flow of air along swept back wings. Without a windtunnel it would be a bit difficult to guess where to put them. But I can see how this would be fun project! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is a good concept and you should run with it, I was toying with the idea of mounting vortex generators on the actual fairing just below the windshield and on either side of the headlights. Yours may make a difference in that area as well???

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi drdave39, I have been reading the hiss flap thread with interest, and I tried a few variations of my own, and it worked depending on the shapes I made. That open area for the handlebar clearance and narrow windscreen is what EVERY adventure touring bike is plauged with, buffeting and wind noise is the biggest complaint on all the different bike forums, not just our bikes. I dont want a giant ugly screen, or a GoldWing just yet, I love this bike! I'm just looking for a small elegant way to reduce just a "little" annoying buffeting. What got me to try these VG's was talking to a few friends who work at Boeing. The VG's on wings are simpler, just a series of small blades each angled slightly, and they are to keep the air moving attached along the top wing surface longer at extreme angles of attack so as not to stall the aircraft, so I've been told and read. These VG's that I'm using aren't for aircraft purposes AFAIK, but more for vehicles, boat sails and hulls...even athletic wear!
They produce opposing twin vortex's and seem to greatly reduce buffeting and negative drag forces, perfect candidate for our needs. I did try some ( after removing the left side VG's ) on the fairing where I tried the hiss flaps too, with some reduced buffeting. I also noticed my buddies new Schuberth C2 seems to have a similar idea going along the top of the faceshield....something they found out in the windtunnel? mmmm...
Someone told me to mix a little vegetable oil and colorant, rub a small amount on the middle of the windscreen, and go for a ride. The oil film will show the proper wind flow around the screen, as you want the VG's open V shape straight in the flow....will have to try this with an old jacket! LOL. Well next I'm off to vacuum form some better and slightly smaller VG's....will keep all posted....Oh yeah, did I mention I LOVE this bike!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Vortex Gen

I'd be very interested in hearing how you make out with your vortex generators. Please keep us posted. Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I hadn't seen this before. Not the best looking addition to the bike but if it works... Also saw this on their website. I wonder if it would help if added to the fairing at the same point as the hiss flaps?

SAENG/TA, Sport Touring Accessories - Micro-Swirl™| Trim | Peel & Stick

I like the idea of the VG's better though so interested to see how it turns out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts