Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Bike sat for 2 months due to paint work. Put it back together, turned over sluggish but started. Let her run for 10 minutes. Shut her off, and started her again. No problems. EXCEPT, the display kept flipping from Voltage 13.5 to CONS which showed 00. Then the display stayed on CONS and would not flip back to Voltage. What the heck is CONS..Some Italian word for volts?
Anyway, let her sit for a few hours, went to start her and she wouldn't turn over. All lights came on etc... but no kick. Voltage shows 11.5 or so.

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
Did you have a battery tender on it when your bike was down? You can try bringing it back, but I'm not so confident it will if you allowed it to die down.

·
Registered
36 Posts
battery and death of 03' 999R

I have that problem with my 03' 999r. If the batery gets too low the clock resets to 00:00am. That is a drag. the battery has always charged right back up when placed on the charger. But if it sits while I ride other bikes, it does not like it and will discharge.
Do you have the occasional "death at the stoplight" thing? Sometimes it dies while I am trying to take off from a stoplight. It seems to die when I crank the throttle but before i give it some clutch. When it dies like that I have to switch off the key, franticaly wave at the guy behind me, flip on the key and wait for that damn theft interface thing, then start and take off.

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wsmcycle said:
I have that problem with my 03' 999r. If the batery gets too low the clock resets to 00:00am. That is a drag. the battery has always charged right back up when placed on the charger. But if it sits while I ride other bikes, it does not like it and will discharge.
Do you have the occasional "death at the stoplight" thing? Sometimes it dies while I am trying to take off from a stoplight. It seems to die when I crank the throttle but before i give it some clutch. When it dies like that I have to switch off the key, franticaly wave at the guy behind me, flip on the key and wait for that damn theft interface thing, then start and take off.
Never had my bike die at a stop light. However, I know this happens.
I think the batteries are junk.
I just bought a Battery Tender and hard wired it to my bike so I can plug it in when not in use.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I have never used a batter tender and my bike sits for several weeks at a time. When I turn my key on I've seen as low as 11.something and she alwasy starts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,

Your display will switch automatically from Voltage to Cons when you hit the fuel reserve (about 5 litres in tank actually, 'cause we don't have a reserve tank). When it switches to CONS it displays fuel consumption in litres / 100km or in mpg (for the non-metric compliant countries :) )

It may have died because you were out of gas, and your battery may have been fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.