Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Has your voltage regulator failed?

• No, my voltage regulator has not failed.

Votes: 59 49.6%
  • No, my voltage regulator has not failed but I moved it for better airflow.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • Yes, my voltage regulator failed.

Votes: 45 37.8%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has your voltage regulator failed? Did you move it for better airflow?

6,048 Posts
Failed as i was on a very busy 16 wheeler infested Socal Freeway.
Nothing like a 16 wheeler bearing down on you as the bike starts to sputter and slow. :eek:

Had it replaced under extended warranty (western)

Cut the pan and flipped the R/R over.
So Far so good

JC

Attachments

·
booyakasha!
916 Posts
It has failed twice for me. This is my third regulator. I drilled out venting holes in my pan to allow air to circulate.

Both regulators were replaced under warranty (original Ducati).

So far, so good.

6,048 Posts
Did the second one fail before or after the holes for venting was done?
or
Did you vent holes after the second one crapped out?
jc
It has failed twice for me. This is my third regulator. I drilled out venting holes in my pan to allow air to circulate.

Both regulators were replaced under warranty (original Ducati).

So far, so good.

·
Registered
415 Posts
What part numbers did you guys replace yours with?

There is a new one from the hyper that is being used on all 1000/1100 motors. So did you get old stock or the new updated part?

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
No problems with mine so far, but I'm thinking I should do something to improve air flow to it, as posted above.

Debby

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine Died

My bike died over a month ago, Ducati's rectifier regulator is on backorder so they can't even fix it.
Not so good

·
Registered
415 Posts
I would scream lemon if my bike was down for so long. Your dealer should be talking with the area service manager to get you one asap. They have ways of getting parts when needed. It just takes some pushing by you and some work by them.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Can some one post the superseded part number. I need to order one for my track bike I'm building

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can some one post the superseded part number. I need to order one for my track bike I'm building
According to the Repair Order here is what went on my PS:

Part Number: 54040191A

Description: Regulator 999B/03

·
Registered
401 Posts
Failed as i was on a very busy 16 wheeler infested Socal Freeway.
Nothing like a 16 wheeler bearing down on you as the bike starts to sputter and slow. :eek:

Had it replaced under extended warranty (western)

Cut the pan and flipped the R/R over.
So Far so good

JC
I was going to do what JC did because I thought it was s simple elegant solution. I took the pan off to cut it and wanting the hole to be as close to perfect as possible I tried to trace it. I realizes it would be difficult to do on the inside and decided to do it on the underside. I got the bright idea to drill out the brass hex inserts do I could do this and as I was mounting it to the underside it occurred to me I was actually almost finished. I just drilled a one inch hole in the pan so the wires could not go back up into the under seat cavity.

The only problem I have is I unhooked the fuel pump to remove the pan and when I went to reattach it there were two identical plugs hanging loose. Fortunately one is labeled fuel pump but I have no idea what the other one is. I think it is just a free plug for diagnostic work. Can anyone tell me if this plug goes anywhere and can I run my bike with it free?

I did not take pictures but it looks just like JC's but without the hole so the regulator sticks out farther into the air. I may have to look at a rear huger to prevent it getting a lot of dirt on it and reducing its ability to cool.

Jim
il Capo
US DESMO

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mine isn't dead but I ordered an aftermarket one anyway. I think I'll add a couple spacers and drill a few holes in the front of the pan and cross my fingers.

·
Registered
483 Posts
According to the Repair Order here is what went on my PS:

Part Number: 54040191A

Description: Regulator 999B/03
thanks for this info.. I was able to get one off eBay with that part number delivered for under $30.. it looks brand new (no scuffs where the mounting screws would normally rub against it) just plugged it in and checked the voltage when running and it's not DOA. Looks like I've got a spare now.

One thing I noticed.. this one has shorter wires (by maybe 4") than my original R/R, which is good because it means less wires to tuck under the seat - but I don't think it would work for those people who want to relocate it to the front of the bike.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I took some pictures of how I attached the regulator to the bottom of my seat tray. In the second picture from the top you will see I have added a grommet, I was afraid the corners on the tray opening would damage the wires.

I forgot to take a picture of the connection I have open but it would be just at the bottom of the second picture next to the fuel pump hook up.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ducati has updated the part and part number to 54040111c

Thats is the most up to date.
Other ones can fail or the pig tails will not be long enough. Just remeber that the charging systems output can range from 400 watts to 560 watts. So make sure you have the correct part to avoid things like a fire.

Part crosses over to
ST4
ST3
S4
Monsters
Supersports
Hyper's
Which use a 520 watt charging system.

·
Registered
415 Posts
thanks for this info.. I was able to get one off eBay with that part number delivered for under $30.. it looks brand new (no scuffs where the mounting screws would normally rub against it) just plugged it in and checked the voltage when running and it's not DOA. Looks like I've got a spare now.

One thing I noticed.. this one has shorter wires (by maybe 4") than my original R/R, which is good because it means less wires to tuck under the seat - but I don't think it would work for those people who want to relocate it to the front of the bike.
Sounds like you bought a recalled 1098 unit..... which I have seen people selling. Toss it in the can now and save yourself some problems down the road.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts