Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike:2000 Ducati 748 Mono

I found out the hard way that these parts are a common fail on Ducs.
Was riding down on 664 yesterday in OH (Hocking Hills), some of the better roads out there and suddenly, my bike wouldn't hold idle.

It started to backfire under load and just refused to go past 6000RPM. You could tell it was laboring hard.

Stopped off for maybe 10mn and checked some wires and everything looked good. Started her up and she ran fine for another 10mn on the ride back home and started to do the same thing

We stopped at a gas station and had some snacks for a good half hour. Rode back home no problem hitting the redline and holding a healthy idle and no backfiring. My pump is good (new) as well as my fuel filter (new) and air filters, spark plugs and wires new within the past 1000 miles. So the problem was problem electrical. My grounds were good and i'm damn certain the ECU is fine.

One of the guys I rode with told me it was probably the voltage rectifier/regulator so I got an upgraded part from electrosport.com

Makes sense since I was riding pretty hard and at some points, the bike wasn t seeing much cooling due to being stuck behind stupid trucks and cars doing 35 in 35mph zones :). My wter temp was hovering between 180F and 210F

Moral: upgrade your rectifier with one of these heavier-duty and better cooling ones. Lemme know if you've had this problem

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they're new though and it was the 1st time the bike had done it. I checked my wires last night when i got back home

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice post thanks
i figured that was the problem when I realzied tghe location of the part next to the pipe. I'll relocate my new one.
To extend the wire, i'll get some shrink wrap and solder the wires from my old unit.

Maybe not as far back at the rr plate. The longer the wires, the more power loss due to internal resistivity of the wires

once again,
thanks Shazam:)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, it seems like it wasn t my reg/rect.
My bike still starts to miss after about 30 miles riding on the higway

any ideas?
Might have to revisit my wires and replace them with the 7900mile old OEM ones and see what happens

1 - 10 of 10 Posts