Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'92SS with charging issues. I checked the stator last night. Hooked up to the two yellow wires up by the RR and saw 40VAC with spikes up to 49VAC while running and reving the engine in the 4000rpm range. Is this adequate? When i measue VDC at the battery terminals (with stator reconnected) i don't see a voltage increase. I'm guessing all of this points towords the voltage regulator but i want to be sure. Is there a fuse burried somewhere i can check? Is a $140 voltage regulator for ca. cycleworks etc. the only fix worth doing? Thanks for any help. George M.

·
Registered
662 Posts
'92SS with charging issues. I checked the stator last night. Hooked up to the two yellow wires up by the RR and saw 40VAC with spikes up to 49VAC while running and reving the engine in the 4000rpm range. Is this adequate?
You are good to go on the stator. The flaky reg is your problem.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
regulator

Thanks, are there any viable options for this part or should i just bite the bullet and buy the $139 one i have seen a ca.cycleworks and desmotimes?

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Replace the stator lead wires first.

Just replacing the regulator without addressing the root causes of it's failure (undersized stator wires, corroded in-line connectors, shorting of the insulation-damaged wires inside the common sheath, and overheating of the regulator due to inadequate cooling inside the fairing) is a waste of time and money. Replace the wiring, eliminate the in-line connector and relocate the RR first.

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/tech/chargingfailure.php

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
regulator

I wish i knew a bit more about the bike. While the RR has not been relocated the wires are too good to be original. There are connectors vs. a solid run to the RR but it is all in very good condition- nothing brittle, fused or signs of overheating etc. I don't know if the RR has been replaced or upgraded in the past. I did look at the excellent breakdown in the hall of wisdom. What gauge wire do you recommend for the stator to RR? Is there anything i can look for between the RR and the battery before i spend the money? Thanks much.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think this is a case where experience on the Superbike side is not directly transferable. Not sure why but the SS reg failures were no where near as common or destructive as you are describing.

Certainly upgrading to 10 gauge is a common suggestion (I've done it) and making sure the reg is grounded with a clean, tight connection is important too but that's about it. There was no wholesale connector meltdown or stator damage for the early SSs. The newer Electrosport or Ducati regs are better than the originals and fail much less. Relocating the reg is overkill on the SS IMO.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
regulator

Thanks, is the electrosport what ca.cycleworks and desmotimes is selling? I think they areboth an RR51 or ESR510? I believe i saw "electrex" as the brand on the packaging. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks, is the electrosport what ca.cycleworks and desmotimes is selling? I think they areboth an RR51 or ESR510? ...
I think it is. The ESR510 is the newer spec, the RR51 is the old version and it was plenty flaky too. T

Another option is this unit from regualtorrectifyer.com:

http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/c....html?osCsid=2c8f2894c51f2d78aa923188d83152a0

Nice thing is that it's a plug and play with no need to run the PIA wires straight to the battery terminals. Cheaper too. I've had one on my '96SS for maybe 5K miles now, no problems.

·
Registered
92 Posts
ESR and more ahead

I replaced the original with the esr from cycle works and then some. Spend a few pennies more and buy the voltage gauge meter/clock etc from desmo. Then take the wiring at about two to three inches from the alternator and clip it off, replacing it with 10 gauge wire and relocate the esr away from it's original location, as it is a death zone for regulator/rectifiers. I relocated it above the rear fender and under the seat in a well ventilated area. The regulator/rectifier needs cooling as it is a hot mama.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
regulator

the regulator mentoned above sounds great but it looks like it is for 94-97 only. Was there a difference here? I thought those bikes were still single phase.?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
regulator

Nevermind- i found the correct model at the regulatorrectifier.com site. I did some reading elsewhere that suggested using some heat transfer paste when remounting. I had not thought of this but we occasionaly use the paste where i work and it it seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
662 Posts
the regulator mentoned above sounds great but it looks like it is for 94-97 only. Was there a difference here? I thought those bikes were still single phase.?
Same part number. Go to the home page and punch in your model and it will give you the same reg. If you have any doubt, stick with the ESR510, it's the tried and true.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts