Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Me and emullo (my brother) are visiting San Antonio between April 6:th and april 14:th.

Any good Ducati and/or Motorcycle shops in San Antonio?
Both for bikes and also riding gear.

And what about nightlife?

Any and all recommendations about "must see" places are welcome!

Rainman has inofficially been notified for awhile, but i wanted to let the rest of the TX crowd know aswell.

//amullo

·
Administrator
6,169 Posts
There is a lot of things to do there.

Riverwalk, Seaworld, Six Flags, titty bars, and of course the hill country is just a hop away....

I will keep your weekends full.
Do you have a place to stay yet?

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yupp..

We´re staying at a hotell in San Antonio, but i don´t have the name of the place handy. I´ll post it when i get it.

I´m looking forward to this. The last time i was in Texas, i was like 12 or 13 years old, so the memory´s are kinda hazy. And we where only passing through..

·
Administrator
6,169 Posts
Well

Cool!
And being I am in Dallas, I will come down there every weekend.
But I can hook you up with a couple of buddies down there to keep you "entertained".

HA!

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds cool dude. :D

I´m looking forward to this. ALOT! :D

//amullo

·
Administrator
6,169 Posts
Yeah baby!

You should be!
There is a lot to look forward to.
Especially the weather!

And the beer.

And the women.

And the scenery.

And the hills.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sweet - glad to play host for ya. I lived in SA for my first 18 years and still go to the hill country quite often. You're missing "Fiesta" by a couple of weeks (possibly a good thing if you don't like crowds, but a bad thing if you like street parties). All the good riding is in the "Hill Country" North and West of SA. But, I'm assuming you won't have access to a bike during your trip. Still, it's worth flogging the rental car through some twisties out that direction just for the scenerey. Plus, you'll be hitting it right around the start of wildflower time. The roadsides should be covered in bluebonnets and paintbrush. If you decide to take a scenic drive, try to make it to the Leakey/Medina/Bandera area. I can get you a route if you need one, but any roads in that area with an FM followed by a number are pretty good. There is also a vintage motorcycle museum out in that area near Vanderpool. I've never been, but might give you a good destination for a little scenic drive ( http://lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/index.html )

For something fairly authentic to do, I highly recommend spending a Saturday or Sunday afternoon drinking Shiner beer under the shade trees at Luckenbach. There is a dancehall there that gets some legendary Texas musicians. But you don't have to hit it on a concert day. Just show up on a weekend afternoon and there will be all sorts of amateur musicians having an impromptu jam session. Everyone just sits around the picnic tables and old buildings and listens/make requests. Lots of bikes on a pretty day, but mostly the cruiser/beer drinking crowd. Still, a great time and I consider it a very real Texas experience as opposed to the tourist spots. You're looking at about 60-75min drive, but take a decent map and don't be afraid to ask for directions because it's not difficult to miss. The dancehall/bar/post office/country store are all that's in Luckenbach, though, so if you get to the right area, you'll be fine. And if you find you like the music and atmosphere in Luckenbach, shoot me a message and I'll see what night someone good is playing at Gruene Hall in New Braunfels (about a 30-45min drive). Doesn't get more authentic Texas than a night at the dancehall.

Of course, spend a couple of nights on the riverwalk. Lots of good restaurants and bars and a very unique character. Some of the places can get a bit touristy, but hey, you're a tourist. Compared to Stockholm, you won't think anything is that old, but San Antonio is considered a pretty old city in the US, so there are lots of neat Spanish influenced buildings, walkways, and historical sites around the downtown/riverwalk area. If you are into history at all, the Alamo, while tourist spot #1, should be on your list. And if you really enjoy history, it's even more interesting to visit the other sites on the mission trail. There are like four other old spanish missions that you can tour and see how the frontier missionaries and indians lived, as well as natural areas, an eighteenth century aqueduct, etc.

I probably won't be down in that area while you are there, so I can't actually show you around. But if you have any questions on where to go, how to get there, etc., by all means shoot me a message. I had to pretty much guide myself when I was in Stockholm last year, so I know how it can be trying to get around when you don't know much about the country much less the area. So, I'd be happy to help out however I can.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Oh, and did Rainman mention the women? I was impressed with the "fresh and clean" type of women I saw in Stockholm. But Texas has a whole other type of good ol' country girl (if you know where to look...i.e. not on the riverwalk) that I've never found matched.

Found this while looking for a suitable Luckenbach pic...

Oh, and if you want a sportbike gathering night, I'm assuming folks still go out to Specht's Store in Bulverde on Wed nights. Usually a pretty good sized gathering and not very far from town. Maybe 30min from downtown and less from the Northside (you probably don't want to stay on the Southside of downtown, btw). Found this site to show the flavor... http://wardsweb.org/busa/Spechtsstore.html

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Come on up to Austin, lots of bar with live music.

You have a bike arranged to go riding?

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks alot guys!

Nathen. Thanks alot! I´ll be sure to make a note of the places and especially of the women! Both the scenic route and Lukenbach seem very nice indeed, as does the riverwalk. And ofcourse the ladies! :D

Vito.. Rainman has promised to set me upp with a bike to go riding, but we´ll see how it goes. I´m no stranger to maybe renting one if that is possible. We will definatly try to get up to Austin to see you guys.

If any off you are in San Antonio, Maybe we can arrange a gathering? It would be nice to try and meet as many members as possible.

//Anders

//Anders

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm not aware of anywhere down there that rents anything other than Harleys. In fact, other than in California, I only know of one other place where you can rent anything sporty and that is here in Dallas. One of our club members is the owner of http://www.sportriderrentals.com/ , so if you really want to try to rent a bike for a weekend of riding in TX, you could come up here for part of the trip. It's about a five hour drive from SA to Dallas, but then you could rent a MS2R or even a Yamaha FJR and see the Hill Country the way it was meant to be seen...

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Anders,

I only have 2 street bikes, I would consider letting you use one, if you can deal with the shame of riding a 749 or Multistrada... :) (just kidding please no PT comments). I'll need to get plates and inspection for the 749 since I don't ride it much as my plan was to sell to pay for my race bike...well as least I've been telling my wife that for a year.

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Vito..

If i could borrow one of them, that would be great! (besides.. i like the Multi!) Rainman has offered som riding gear, so I´m all set for that (just need to bring my backprotector and boots) and also perhaps a loaner bike from a friend of his (most appreciated ofcourse!).

But since my brother is also coming over, we where looking to maybe rent a second bike since riding two-up isn´t as fun as riding solo. emullo (my brother) is also a member here and is a very experienced Ducati owner/rider.

We where not planning to do "every day" riding, but having some company/guides (IE: YOU, Rainman(err.. Wild Bill), Nathan and anyone else) and going for "a day on a bike in Texas" would be superb!

So if it´s possible, we will sure take you up on the loaner.

Thanks alot all off you!
Texas really seems like the friendliest place in the US.. And I´m not even THERE yet! You guys are really representing! If any of you get to Sweden, i hope your going to let me return the favor!

//Anders

·
Administrator
6,169 Posts
I got one...

Yeah, my buddy has a YZF600.
I am still trying for the second one.

And maybe we could all meet in Gruene for lunch?
On a saturday?

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rainman said:
I got confirmation of the Yammer!

1 bike to go.....
w00t! :D

//Anders

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Amullo,

That MS makes a great after dark bike, ya know (LOL), but you are right on Texas just about being the friendliest place around. I occasionally visit friends down in Rockport, just up the coast from Corpus Christi. If you ever want to visit a "little drinking town with a big fishing problem", that is the place.

Austin rocks ! (There are even quite a few bevel Ducati guys down there.)
Last time I visited I fell in with a very interesting punk band from Denmark called " The Defecators". One of the funniest times in my life. Be sure and drink Tito's Vodka, the local distillate. Plan on spending a couple of entire nights checking out the music scene there. Buy some boots to remember your visit by.

Can't say enough nice things about the people of Texas. Funny, friendly, delightfully weird.....yeah, they are.....but always a good time.

Lucky you. And terrific time of the year. Wish I could fly down and meet up with you guys if only to show you how to ride. lol

amullo said:
Hey Vito..

If i could borrow one of them, that would be great! (besides.. i like the Multi!) Rainman has offered som riding gear, so I´m all set for that (just need to bring my backprotector and boots) and also perhaps a loaner bike from a friend of his (most appreciated ofcourse!).

But since my brother is also coming over, we where looking to maybe rent a second bike since riding two-up isn´t as fun as riding solo. emullo (my brother) is also a member here and is a very experienced Ducati owner/rider.

We where not planning to do "every day" riding, but having some company/guides (IE: YOU, Rainman(err.. Wild Bill), Nathan and anyone else) and going for "a day on a bike in Texas" would be superb!

So if it´s possible, we will sure take you up on the loaner.

Thanks alot all off you!
Texas really seems like the friendliest place in the US.. And I´m not even THERE yet! You guys are really representing! If any of you get to Sweden, i hope your going to let me return the favor!

//Anders

·
Administrator
6,169 Posts
bevel450 said:
Amullo,

That MS makes a great after dark bike, ya know (LOL), but you are right on Texas just about being the friendliest place around. I occasionally visit friends down in Rockport, just up the coast from Corpus Christi. If you ever want to visit a "little drinking town with a big fishing problem", that is the place.

Austin rocks ! (There are even quite a few bevel Ducati guys down there.)
Last time I visited I fell in with a very interesting punk band from Denmark called " The Defecators". One of the funniest times in my life. Be sure and drink Tito's Vodka, the local distillate. Plan on spending a couple of entire nights checking out the music scene there. Buy some boots to remember your visit by.

Can't say enough nice things about the people of Texas. Funny, friendly, delightfully weird.....yeah, they are.....but always a good time.

Lucky you. And terrific time of the year. Wish I could fly down and meet up with you guys if only to show you how to ride. lol
Bevel, you are always welcome down here.
I can use all the lessons on riding I can get!!!!

LOL!

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone of you guys know this company?
San Antonio Superbike
401 Blue Star
San Antonio, TX 78204-1779
(210) 223-0733

They are a reseller for Custom Dynamics, who in turn have these rearlights i was thinking of getting.
http://www.customdynamics.com/ducati_led_tail_light.htm

I´m just wondering if i should give them a call and see that they can get them, so i can pick them up THERE while in the states.

Was that complicated?

//amullo

1 - 20 of 43 Posts