Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

virgin v-twin rider seek advice!

2240 Views 11 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  ctk333
Hi guys,

1) just got myself a 996S that comes with ohlins rear shock and ohlins damper, marchesini rims, showa nitrate-coated forks.. but read from forums that S models have serial numbers on the yoke? mine doesn't though... any way to check wat model is it through the chasis number?

2) do u guys ever switch on the headlight/dim light piror to cranking up the bike? the ex-owner, whom is my friend, told me if cranking up the bike with the headlight/dim light on is unsucessful for 2 times, the battery would be drained up (he encountered before). thus, for night riding, i dare not even on the headlights expect for the dim light (the middle switch for the headlight on/off).

3) for my bike, i need to push in the red button at the left side (near the headlight switch) to on the headlights. is this the way it should be? if not, it will just be the normal dim lights.

4) how much engine oil is need for this machine? with and without oil filter?

thanks!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
330 Posts
ctk333 said:
Hi guys,

1) just got myself a 996S that comes with ohlins rear shock and ohlins damper, marchesini rims, showa nitrate-coated forks.. but read from forums that S models have serial numbers on the yoke? mine doesn't though... any way to check wat model is it through the chasis number?

2) do u guys ever switch on the headlight/dim light piror to cranking up the bike? the ex-owner, whom is my friend, told me if cranking up the bike with the headlight/dim light on is unsucessful for 2 times, the battery would be drained up (he encountered before). thus, for night riding, i dare not even on the headlights expect for the dim light (the middle switch for the headlight on/off).

3) for my bike, i need to push in the red button at the left side (near the headlight switch) to on the headlights. is this the way it should be? if not, it will just be the normal dim lights.

4) how much engine oil is need for this machine? with and without oil filter?

thanks!

S models do not have serial number plaques. That would be the R models and maybe some SPS models.

Mine starts great with the headlight on or off or on high or dipped beam. The headlight setting does not matter. It doesn't on your either, if your battery is not bad.

I'm not sure I understand #3. If you have a headlight switch, there will be at least one headlight on when the switch is all the way forward in the "ON" positon. The high/dipped switch turns both lights on in US models and switches between the high and dipped bulb in Euro models. Do you have a burned out bulb?

A 996 takes 3.8l for an oil and filter change.

· Super Moderator
8,335 Posts
The 996S is diffrent depending on where you are.

The US model has the "base" 996 engine, while the EU-spec model has the 996SPS engine (sort of, not the ECU..). They also differ in apperance and electronics for lights..

Where do you live?

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks!

think i have a burned out bulb then.. realised there is just high beam and dim lights currently...

how about oil change without change of oil filter? how many litres?

think mine is the US Model... same engine as a 996bip.

· Super Moderator
8,335 Posts
Colt45 said:
The book doesn't say how much oil to add without a filter change.
That´s because you never do an oilchange without changing the filter.. A filter costs like $10-15, so why not change it all?

· Registered
389 Posts
ctk333 said:
oh thanks.. cos over here, the local practice is to change the oil filter at every 2 oil changes interval.. for jap superbikes.

guess i'll have to stick to the italian way from now... :)

um...if that is the local custom, the natives aren't very bright :D . Maybe, MAYBE, on a race bike where you are anally over protective and changing oil every race weekend, it would make sense to only swap filters half as often. Any bikes getting changed every 2000, 3000, or more should definitely have both changed at every service. Nothing will immediately blow up if you don't, but it sure is the logical way to get all the old oil out and ensure that as few damaging particles as possible will be circulating in your fresh new juice.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is the fuel capacity of the 996 17 litres? and reserve is 4 litres?

im getting around 165KM and the reserve light starts to come on, on and off though.

and that would be roughly 13km/l of gas mileage that i'm getting.. is this norm?

· Super Moderator
8,335 Posts
17 litres and 4 reserv is right.

I get 170km´s on mine before the light goes on.. But I´ve done 260k´s on a tank (plus 1km walking with the bike)

Fuelconsumption is between 6l/100 km (16km/L-40mpg) and 7l/100km (14km/L-33mpg).. but it goes up to almost 10l/100km (10km/L-23mpg) on the track. I´ve had her down to just under 5L/100km (20km/L-47MPG) but that was smooth riding on the highway at ~110-120 km/h (~70 mph).

//amullo

· Registered
11 Posts
ctk333 said:
oh thanks.. cos over here, the local practice is to change the oil filter at every 2 oil changes interval.. for jap superbikes.

guess i'll have to stick to the italian way from now... :)
That makes no sense at all.... 4 quarts of clean oil + 1 tea spoon of dirty oil in the old filter = 4 quarts of dirty oil

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pardon me but im new to FI bikes... been riding carb bikes for the past 6 years... i know for carb bikes.. one change the jets when an aftermarket full exhaust system had been installed.

what bout for FI bikes? if no PowerCommander is installed, what should be done to correct the air/fuel ratio, etc? My 996 comes with an Arrow full exhaust system, but I do not know what stuff had been done to complement with the modification.

how does one actually TUNE a FI bike??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.