Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me if my 900ss is a 1988 model.thats what the registration papers say but I cannot find a vin decoder that recognises my vin number. ZDM906SC001423
Engine no ZDM906A2C001479

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
US Bike?

Are you sure that's the correct VIN?

You should be something like ZDM1LC4NWB000000.

Euro bike engine numbers may start with ZDM, but US bikes did not. A US 900SS starts with LC4, I think.

EDIT: Never mind... I saw the year as 1998, not 1988. No idea.

·
Old Wizard
3,000 Posts
The code for 1988 is "J" which doesn't show in your VIN.

You can email requests for build spec information regarding a VIN or engine number to Ducati at:

Ducati

You should hear from a representative within a few days.

Euro bike engine numbers may start with ZDM, but US bikes did not. A US 900SS starts with LC4, I think.
The first three characters of any VIN (US included) identifies the manufacturer:

Character 1: Country Code: Z = Italy
Character 2: Manufacturer: D = Ducati Motor Holding
Character 3: Vehicle Type: M = Motorcycle

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Was speaking specifically of engine numbers in the US not starting with ZDM.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The code for 1988 is "J" which doesn't show in your VIN.

You can email requests for build spec information regarding a VIN or engine number to Ducati at:

Ducati

You should hear from a representative within a few days.

Thanks for this link have sent them a request.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I still have been unable to find out what my Vin # means, My bike is now in the U.S. but was sold new in Italy, ZDM906SC2000028. there are 2 stars in the vin which in the U.S the DMV classifies as special characters and does not use -so without those mine is a 15 digit #--with the 17 digits and it would be ZDM906SC2*000028* I am still confused

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Crashed before sold the first time? Re-man at the factory? Mine had a barely documented history as a US corporate owned bike used for journalists and exhibits but it did end up with a US VIN. Maybe yours was filtered through corporate Italy? The first couple of dozen bikes were used to fan the flames that became one of the hottest bikes to own by 1992 worldwide, so they all went to special people or operations.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Crashed before sold the first time? Re-man at the factory? Mine had a barely documented history as a US corporate owned bike used for journalists and exhibits but it did end up with a US VIN. Maybe yours was filtered through corporate Italy? The first couple of dozen bikes were used to fan the flames that became one of the hottest bikes to own by 1992 worldwide, so they all went to special people or operations.
Yes this bike was owned by Ducati's Tech Rep, Renato Ami in Italy, He sold it in 2002 to an U.S. Army guy stationed there-He shipped it back to the U.S.
900ss #28. pretty simple.
And yes that part of the vin simple I knew it was the 28th bike built -But nowhere do I find any into regarding 15 digit vin #'s You would think there would be some info somewhere

·
Registered
709 Posts
ZDM I understand--but what does the 906SC2 signify the last 6 is the production # --but why is there a * on both sides of the production #. With a 17 digit vin there is plenty of info to basically tell you what each digit signify's -but not so on a 15 digit #

·
Registered
709 Posts
ok ty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts