Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1994 900SS CR, 2002 998 Trackbike
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on YouTube and I thought this might be of interest to some here.

Episode 1

Nicely edited video series of someone restoring a 600SS (pretty much identical to the 750 and 900, minus the wet clutch).

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Just remember the difference between Restoration and repairing to ride--Restoration means one thing ONLY--when you are finished with a Restoration the motorcycle is exactly as it was when it left the factory --anything & I mean anything less then this is not a restoration--A restoration is perfect down to the last washer, nut & bolt--- I am a vintage judge for AMCA and I always judge to the standard--The standard is how it left the factory---I count off for incorrect fuel line, valve stem caps, & nuts, stainless steel etc. --Many people give their bikes a paint job and call it a restoration--They are full of Shit

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Just remember the difference between Restoration and repairing to ride--Restoration means one thing ONLY--when you are finished with a Restoration the motorcycle is exactly as it was when it left the factory --anything & I mean anything less then this is not a restoration--A restoration is perfect down to the last washer, nut & bolt--- I am a vintage judge for AMCA and I always judge to the standard--The standard is how it left the factory---I count off for incorrect fuel line, valve stem caps, & nuts, stainless steel etc. --Many people give their bikes a paint job and call it a restoration--They are full of Shit

Yeah but there are different standards of restoration too, sure to win a judged event it has to be accurate and represent the bike as it was when new, to be fair though % wise very few can actually attain that, for various reasons too.

Some either don't have the knowledge or network to actually research what was correct, or parts availability isn't working because of cost or the build timeline etc. There's also the consideration of "over" restoration, I restored a Husqvarna 400 Cross and the tank was chromed then painted white and red, my chrome needed redoing and the final result was too good for the build period for the bike, so, i made the decision that i was not going to accept orange peeled, uneven paint as the tank would have been as new, every other item and detail on the bike was as built new, down to every last bolt being correct ( i even dyed my nyloc nuts in red food dye for fuck sake!) and not one reproduction part anywhere on the bike. To me it was more important that i'm satisfied with the result, my OCD would have been off the scale if i finished it to the std of the day, and my sanity is much more important than pleasing some bike judge!
(still won best in class)

I bought the bike unseen to race in VMX but when it arrived i couldn't believe how complete it was, it had been messed with using rattle cans and the tank had been repainted so it wasn't "original" but it was complete and mostly there, it wasn't original enough to leave it but it was far too good to race it and it was way too complete with almost all original stuff, the perfect candidate to restore.....

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
whenever i see an engine someone else has "restored" i usually wonder what they did wrong and if they made all the detail stuff nice. if it was down that far i'd be splitting it.

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
I would wonder if it was "restored" that means the frame,swingarm should crack. Crank plug comes pre-loosened from the factory and the bike runs poorly. Why yes it is correct you can tell by the fact it does not run.

This should be a reason for many a Bimota or MV winning future shows as they never really get used and owners are afraid to go out on them as they may not be original on the return trip....lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts