Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the years I have read advice in a number of posts by experienced motorcycle mechanics and enthusiasts to hard-wire the stator to the regulator/rectifier when the infamous burnt-up connector and melted wire issue crops up.

A while back during my approach to 30k miles on my 848, my stator connector finally decided to give in to the heat. I'm sure my plug was dirty, but even more interesting was the fact that my stator wires had developed the oil wicking issue that so many others have experienced and written about. At first I was a little skeptical about the oil wicking issue, but I now believe it also contributed to my plug failure. I'm going to address this issue in a separate video, including a fix that I read about on one of the Aprilia forums--and that was tried successfully by a couple of members on another Ducati forum.

Excluding the oil wicking issue, when it comes to burnt and melted connectors Ducati is not alone. I have seen reports of burnt and melted stator connections on many other forums, including Aprilia, Harley-Davidson, Triumph, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and more; some reports go back many years.

Hard-wiring eliminates the connector 'hot spot,' but there are two drawbacks: 1) There's no way to test the stator and/or reg-rec unless you re-cut the wires; and 2) On my Ducati, the reg-rec has to be removed every time the alternator-side crankcase cover is removed. These are not huge obstacles: The battery has to be disconnected and the ECU has to be loosened and moved out of the way before the two bolts securing the regulator/rectifier can be accessed.

Finally, for my repair, I used sealed crimp connectors with an extra layer of heat shrink and a full wrap of silicone tape for added protection. There are many other options that would work very well for this project; Solder (for those who know how to solder properly), non-insulated butt connectors and solder (with heat shrink), and a variety of other methods.

I hope you enjoy the video, and Good Luck with your repairs!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts