Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a problem I've not been able to fix on my old 696 and current 1100 Evo. I always get error code 0008 r.SW, the trip and time reset, and I haven't been able to find the error code's description online. I replaced batteries in both bikes with no result.

Attempts on the 1100:
Replaced battery to lithium
Upgraded battery, starter and solenoid cables to 4 gauge
Cleaned all cable connections
Replaced starter when the old one burned out
Stator replaced when old one went out
Cycling the key several times before starting
Waiting until the headlight turns off

It happens unpredictably and infrequently when the weather is warm, but in cold weather it happens very frequently and sometimes takes numerous attempts and minutes to start the bike.

Another very rare symptom, which I don't know if it's related, is a couple of times the bike has been slow to crank after a break from riding, like it has a dying battery, but it's clearly got good voltage. This symptom is extremely rare in occurrence.

Videos

Any ideas? I wonder if the solenoid is shorting causing the computer to reset to protect itself. But why mostly when the weather is cold?

And when the weather is really cold:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bad Reg/Rec ??

Could it be a bad rectifier? - just taking a stab in the dark

Also might be a bad ECU ground?

My 749 used to do the same thing when very cold. Cranking would pull up a low voltage error and sometimes the Dash would reset. This was due to a bad ground on ECU and crap starting wiring.

After cleaning and re-tightening the ecu ground (bolt was loose) the dash stopped re-seting, though still being slow to start I eventually upgraded the starter wiring and now it starts sweet everytime regardless of temperature. Coldest it has been is 2°C engine temp, fired up straight away

Considering you have upgraded all this the problem may lie elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
You could apply current directly to the new starter cable at the solenoid connection to see if the starter runs at a higher rate when isolated. Make sure the motor has a good ground. If that is better remove the supply side and jumper directly there and energize the coil side of the solenoid. Still good, problem between the solenoid and battery. Not good, replace solenoid. That's assuming the resets and codes are secondary.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sounds like battery voltage at dash and ECU is dropping below a minimum level.
Be aware that lithium batteries need to be warmed up in cold weather before attempting to start by turning headlamp on for a while, 30 secs to minute.
I would put a multimeter on the battery and read voltage while cranking engine cold start. If volts drop below 10v there's the problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Definitely not the rectifier because the battery is always charged. Not the battery because this bike and my old 696 shared the same problem and in each the battery was replaced and still suffered the same symptom.

I'll test the solenoid and the voltage of the battery during start up once it gets colder, however the video showed the voltage during start up and it looked normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts