Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this problem????

My left side mirror vibrates so badly when travelling at speed that it is completely useless. The glass is moving and not the housing itself. Is there an easy fix to this? I didnt see an easy way to take the mirror apart and with some of the comments i have seen about breaking springs, etc...i wanted a little more info before creating a bigger problem.
:confused:

·
Mr Leakered
8,835 Posts
The housing is probably vibrating also. The vibes are just more evident in the mirror. If the stem isn't fully seated in the rubber grommet, then it will vibrate easily.

Don't worry too much about the spring. It can easily be reset with needle nose pliers, zip ties, $3 spring hooks, etc.

I've never played with outer housing, but removing the mirrors is very easy. From there you can release the spring with the tools noted above.

It could also be wheel balance. If so, I highly recommend this:

http://www.marcparnes.com/Ducati_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm#FZB

It is very easy to do.

Another cause is that if you are coming up on a valve service, the combination of engine vibes and windspeed can cause this.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Tonered..
Never thought about the housing being the issue and it showing up in the mirror...good point. I dont think it is the wheel as i dont feel any vibration in the handlebars and it is only the left mirror ( but the balance kit is pretty cool...i may have to invest in one).The two year service was done on the bike before i bought it in March so hopefully not the valves. The thing that i find odd is that i can tap on the mirror with my finger and the left moves quite a bit more than the right suggesting that something is loose. I will give it a close look this evening.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts