Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed two days ago after refueling a very strong fuel smell as I got back on the bike and knew I hadn't spilled any fuel.

I get home and it's still there but didn't see any signs of a fuel leak.

Fire the bike up for a ride yesterday evening and nothing noticeable right away but as soon as I'm on the seat and backing it out the garage, the smell was back.

I pull back into the garage and shut it down only to see drops of fluid near the kickstand. A quick inspection reveals fuel and upon further inspection, I see it dribbling down onto the exhaust! So, I wait while the bike cools down and ponder the joys of owning my first Duc.

After pulling the tank up slightly this morning before the heat kicked in, one of the qd's is loose (in line) but not leaking with the engine off. I fire it back up and fuel goes spraying everywhere. Then the out qd pops out without any encouragement or using the release tab.

So, after some research it looks like I'm going with some DesmoTimes SS male and female QD's.

Anyone have a good report on this "upgrade"? I'm hoping I've made a good choice for an upgrade.

I take it the females simply unscrew from the tank?

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,892 Posts
Whilst you at it change the fuel sender nut for a metal one from ca-cycleworks.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yep...the stainless fittings are a great upgrade and no hassle that I recall installing.

I think desmo times sells the o-rings as well so you should order some spares.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,892 Posts
Make sure you get the nitrile O rings.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Mine did it once. I found out that I hadn't placed the hoses and wiring in correctly and the QD was disengaged while the fitting was pressed in tight enough to give me good running over 5k rpm. (996)

Replace the o-ring first and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine did it once. I found out that I hadn't placed the hoses and wiring in correctly and the QD was disengaged while the fitting was pressed in tight enough to give me good running over 5k rpm. (996)

Replace the o-ring first and see what happens.
Unfortunately, both qd's snapped off in the female connectors leaving only the inner plunger intact. :eek:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I did the same mod after similar experience.. it wasn't too bad.. definitely doable as a DIY.. now I have metal units on both ends and shouldn't have any more problem.. (other than changing the o-rings if the tank ever comes off, etc.)

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't mind the issue cropping up and I'm glad it didn't leave me stranded.

Upgrades are always a good idea and the only negative is missing out on the great riding weather until I can get the parts installed and tested out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The good thing is that it is pretty much a one-time fix.. so once it is done, you should be good to go.. !

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just did this to my 996 a few weeks ago. The females don't screw all the way into the tank, there will be a couple of threads still showing. It's not the easiest place to fit a wrench either, and of course it's easy to damage the QD button if you're not careful. Like Davy J. said I'd recommend getting the fuel sender nut at the same time, plastic has a finite life and it sounds like your plastic fuel hardware has come to the end of theirs..... ;)

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
The females don't screw all the way into the tank, there will be a couple of threads still showing. It's not the easiest place to fit a wrench either
If you press down on the springs you can (carefully) remove the locking slide and you can get a socket onto the fitting.

Just make sure that you screw it in to a point that the slide will go back in (and operate) and be careful that the small locking spring doesn't shoot into the air whilst removing it...

And yes the fitting won't go all the way in (I believe they are tapered threads?) but they shouldn't leak, especially if you use some pipe tape or Slic-tite.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
So Bapt, how did you clean the gasoline funk off your vertical cylinder?

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So Bapt, how did you clean the gasoline funk off your vertical cylinder?
Good point and I did get some of it but not all of it off - it's been oppressively hot in my garage this week.

I'm going to get cracking on installing the new qd's tomorrow morning before the heat shows up along with an oil/filter change.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you press down on the springs you can (carefully) remove the locking slide and you can get a socket onto the fitting.

Just make sure that you screw it in to a point that the slide will go back in (and operate) and be careful that the small locking spring doesn't shoot into the air whilst removing it...

And yes the fitting won't go all the way in (I believe they are tapered threads?) but they shouldn't leak, especially if you use some pipe tape or Slic-tite.
The little tid-bit about the locking slides made all the difference getting the old one's out and the new one's in.....thanks, bro!!!

She's alive and leak free.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I took a dealer demo-ride on an brand new 848 a few years ago - the QD broke during the test ride and the high pressure fuel pump shot fuel out from under the tank like a fire hose. Riding down a backroad with fuel spraying at high velocity was a scary WTF experience. I am happy to have gotten away without being a human fireball. Glad you found the issue ahead of time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts