Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So this is a strange one.

happened during a single period of time last weekend.

I have a 2014 MS1200s, no issues to this point. warranty ending in 2 weeks.

so wondering if this is something to be concerned about...

situation:
started the bike up and letting it idle/warm up before my ride.

Go to get my helmet on, jacket, etc.. turn around, bike is off... was running for a couple minutes..

I check out the dash, see it is showing 1st gear... I could NOT get it into neutral.

solution:
raise sidestand, then start bike, then put in neutral...

After starting it back up, again, shortly after (not more than a couple minutes), it shut off again, same situation.

I finally just got on bike after it warmed up and rode away.. no further issues.

I checked it out a couple days ago and let it run for at least 5 minutes, did not shutoff.

a bit perplexed with this one. thoughts?

thanks
ant.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Are you saying that you had the bike in neutral, on the sidestand, and then the bike mechanically and electronically put itself into 1st gear? Or just electronically the bike thought it was in first gear? First gear with the sidestand down will kill the engine (side stand kill switch). If the bike thinks it's in first but mechanically it is still in neutral, then this sounds like a gear position sensor issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, yes, it shows it is in 1st gear, but it is electronically since the bike didn't lurch forward, that would have been an entirely different tone on my initial post!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes, I'm sure it would have been. :)

With the symptoms that you've described, hopefully you can get your dealership to replace the sensor under warranty. Intermittent problems are really hard to diagnose so they might not be able to reproduce the fault.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
calling dealership now and at least getting the information documented,

thanks,

ant.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ducati service quirks

Hi all,

so I called the dealership, normal troubleshooting process.

they need to reproduce the issue.

my problem is that it is intermittent, and bringing my bike there for a day or so may never reproduce the thing.

I'll be checking it out the next few days, hoping I can get it to happen again, more often, so it can be repaired.

otherwise, anyone know of how to replace the gear position sensor?! haha.

thanks,
anthony.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Do a couple of searches on the side stand switch here. Those things are known to be buggy. Many here have bypassed it - including myself.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi

I don't know if you will be able to reproduce it but I have this problem on mine and it seems it has to do with either the sensor or the gear selector barrel. I got my bike 2nd hand and it was already past the warranty so I can't really do anything about it. I also know that it had two gear selector barrel replacements (under warranty) for a part that Ducati knew was defective (or badly designed). I still can't (very) easily find neutral and I can miss downshifting from 2nd to 1st or upshifting form 1st to 2nd, if I don't pull/push hard on the gear lever. It's something that I have come into terms with over time and it doesn't bother me anymore. I've learned to shift properly. But I think it relates to the "electronic" problem you have. It's not something that bothers me because it happens only when I start the bike with the side stand down. However, since you're still in warranty it won't hurt to try and convince the dealer. In order to reproduce it, what I would try, would be to have the bike in neutral with the stand down, start it, and then press lightly on the gear lever (up or down) using the "dead travel" the lever has, without engaging any gear. See if it works this way. If not, I wouldn't really worry about it (although I see it being a nuisance).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all!

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks for the responses so far.

I have checked through some historical posts as well..

will update if it starts to occur more frequently.

thanks,
anthony.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
There's always a chance it's just a bump in the road for you. Electrons get confused occasionally. I've had various warnings come up on the dash from time to time. They would hang around for a while, and then disappear.

Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
When it's in for the dealer to look at, if they can't reproduce the symptom see if they will still do a courtesy gear selection teach-in process with the bike connected to the Ducati diagnostics computer. I am pretty sure there is a teach in process that can be ran with the bike on the stand, engine running and the service dept.'s diag computer connected.

But it sounds like probably the gear sensor is going flakey. Has it ever shown a C or a flashing minus sign "-" or steady minus sign where the gear number is displayed on the dash? Those can be signs that the BBS has lost contact with the gear sensor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When it's in for the dealer to look at, if they can't reproduce the symptom see if they will still do a courtesy gear selection teach-in process with the bike connected to the Ducati diagnostics computer. I am pretty sure there is a teach in process that can be ran with the bike on the stand, engine running and the service dept.'s diag computer connected.

But it sounds like probably the gear sensor is going flakey. Has it ever shown a C or a flashing minus sign "-" or steady minus sign where the gear number is displayed on the dash? Those can be signs that the BBS has lost contact with the gear sensor.
Hi, thanks again for the responses.

no, never seen a code/error on the display... it has about 6k miles..

hoping it is not something that grows.. although it could be much worse...

thanks,
ant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts