Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Synched the carbs yesterday, and outside is just about 55f and so inviting, I went for a ride to my favorite coffee place about 45 minutes away. On the way there, I noticed that I can’t see the dash lights, like blinkers and stuff. It was always a bit dim, but not like that, but bike ran fine, made it there. When I was leaving, it didn’t start. Hmmm. I thought maybe the starter is going bad or something, when two guys working construction nearby stopped by and helped me push start, and the it started up. I rode the quickest route home on the highway, when I got to my exit, the bike stalled. No electrical. I push it to the gas station around the corner, and thank god the service bay was open on the Veteran’s day. They charged up the battery for me, and I made it home. I feel so lucky. Things I discovered:
1) carbs synchronized, it runs well. I still can’t figure out the hesitation at 3750-4000rpm on high gear, but otherwise crisp and lovely, and totally joyous.
2) science experience to - how long can you ride only with leftover battery power? The battery was weak enough that it couldn’t even run the starter, and I lost all lights and everything, but apparently the fuel pump was working fine till I made it to the exit, so can I say 30-highway minutes?
Now I need to figure out which part of charging system went dead. On the bright side, I won’t be riding tomorrow, with snow and 17f in forecast....

·
Registered
788 Posts
The fuel feeds by gravity until the level gets below the carb inlet. That's when the pump is necessary. It runs all the time but you only need it for maybe the last 1/3 of the tank volume

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Start by charging the battery completely and doing a load test. Also check your fuses. Battery good ? Then, if the bike will start, check voltage, raise the revs and see if voltage goes up with the revs. If not, it’s charging system. If it goes past 15 v it’s probably a bad regulator and will fry the battery. Check your regulator wiring too. Mine rubbed through against the frame.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
a carby bike will run until the tank is empty without the pump running. but it won't feed enough fuel to the carbs again if you fill it up without the pump running.

i forgot to reconnect a tank connector on a carby bike once, which lead to an owner standing on the side of an interstate in the pouring rain with trucks showering him in spray. even after he managed to get somewhere to put fuel in it it still didn't go properly. when he realised the pump wasn't connected it was fine.

i haven't done it again. yet.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
charging system diagnosis. the bit at the bottom about the reference is important if it has a ducati or similar regulator and is overcharging.

bradthebikeboy.blogspot.com/2012/11/charging-system-diagnosis-procedure.html

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
The fuel feeds by gravity until the level gets below the carb inlet. That's when the pump is necessary. It runs all the time but you only need it for maybe the last 1/3 of the tank volume
Eh, is that so? In that case, maybe I was getting low on fuel then.

Anyway, thanks for the info and suggestions. I will tackle the charging system, hopefully soon. This may, unfortunately, turn into a winter project, it's getting pretty cold and nasty out there...

belter, thanks for the link, that's a good information there.

·
Registered
788 Posts
forgot to reconnect a tank connector on a carby bike once, which lead to an owner standing on the side of an interstate in the pouring rain with trucks showering him in spray
Nice to know that even the pros mess up once in awhile... as long as it's not on my bike :). Now I don't feel so bad about all the stuff I've done twice.

·
Registered
456 Posts
everyone overlooks something at times. I can say I too have overlooked something at times when servicing customers bikes but normally I'd say 90% of the time if I missed something I will find the issue during my test ride before the customer gets the bike back, But I have been lucky so far never forgot anything that was crucial

61 - 69 of 69 Posts