Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello amazing people

I took my bike for 12000km servicing. My mechanic told me that my vertical camshaft is flaking. He was not sure if I needed to change that or not but he said maybe it better to change it. It will cost me 500 CAD for parts only. Does anyone have experience with this issue. It seems like a little scratch. Do I need to change it?

Picture is attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Looks to be maybe a coating coming off. If its meant to be slick or harden the cam it could/would premeturely wear. Ive no idea if its a coating. Somebody smarter on them please?

Reactions: Ebi1368

·
Registered
396 Posts
Definitely looks like the coating is wearing... I'm not too familiar with this, so hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will be along shortly. As for needing to change it - it's obviously going to continue to wear, which will keep your clearances moving out. As the coating wears off, it's also going to wear out the bits which touch it, so you'll be wearing out two parts. I think it's pretty sensible to replace the cam.

My 2010 848 has just gone past 70,000 kms, and there was no sign of this happening when I last serviced it and did the shims.

I wonder what it is that makes some wear and others not?

·
Premium Member
8,766 Posts
I wonder what the rocker faces look like?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If you can feel the scratch with a nail I would replace cam but if it's still smooth I would leave it like that and keep an eye on it next valves check.

As belter said it's on closer lobe and the spring should keep the rocker from touching cam so that shouldn't mess with your clearances.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts