Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a search and found a few posts, but not exactly what i was looking for...

someone recently told me that the dry clutches on these bikes get hot hot hot and that venting the cover would help with longevity. being that i am a complete noob, i thought i'd post an idea here.

i was thinking that drilling a few holes in the back side of the clutch cover might work. my only concern is getting water and debris in there.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
People (including me at the track) often run open/vented covers for the dry clutch. It probably helps keep the motor a bit cooler and lets clutch dust blow away, but mostly looks cool :cool:. I doubt it will make the clutch last any longer since slipping the clutch is really what wears it out. In a crash a full cover may protect the clutch better, unless the vented cover is really strong (which some are). They do allow water and dirt in, so I wouldn't use an open cover for a road trip. It's your call.
Joe

·
Registered
94 Posts
Drilling holes in your stock cover is not going to cut it. Go on line and look for ducati clutch covers and clutch pressure plates. It is mostly for looks and inhances the sweet ducati clutch rattle. I believe you tube has some clips of what it will look and sound like.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been running vented and open covers for 15 years now with no problems. Definitely keeps the clutch cleaner. Mike

·
Registered
231 Posts
Instead of drilling holes in your clutch cover, get this instead for only $30 atm!

Cycle Cat open clutch cover

On sale right now at OnCycles.com

·
Registered
119 Posts
Cheap enough to try...

...and your link includes a steering damper in the cart, was that an accidnet or are you hinting for Christmas??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts